Wharftown Apartment Not for Sale

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Mithradates
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Wharftown Apartment Not for Sale

Post by Mithradates » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:08 pm

I saw this happen a few weeks ago, where someone had placed a "For Sale" placeable sign in front of an apartment that wasn't actually up for purchase. I didn't think much of it, but then just yesterday I found one in front of my own apartment and was suddenly very perturbed. I'm on at least once a day, so it was definitely uncalled for.

Is a player character placing these or is it a DM? Maybe at least try to contact the apartment owner on the forum before trying to force a sale on their quarter? I've heard of this happening more and more.

Mithradates
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Wharftown Apartment Not for Sale

Post by Mithradates » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:28 pm

What ever is going on, could I get some DM input or intervention? The sign states to seek out the Wharftown Mayor (which I won't be doing because the "for sale" sign was placed without warrant), so maybe there would be a good place to start to solve this issue OOC.

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:29 pm

bash the sign

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:59 pm

If this is just a prank being played by anothe pc, then ignore the following.

But, if this is legitmate then -

Speaking strictly mechanicaly - You can only loose your quarter if -

a) You dont' pay the tax on it (your bank account goes to 0)
b) You do not visit it within the alloted time (Generally about one Real Life Week)
c) The Settlment Mayor/Council releases it and/or one of the people imbued with such a power.

In case C) - the person in question (generally the mayor, though they can give others the power to release quarters too) Needs to roleplay with you before hand. Face to face. Speedies/signs don't count. They need to actually talk to you face to face.

What do you Do About this?

Well - it depends a bit on your character. I can tell you it is almost -certainly- not a DM action that this is happening.

But personally I'd talk to the Mayor of the settlment about this, and ask them what's going on. Find out if the For Sale sign is legit, (Some settments have have In Character laws precluding certain people from owning property. For example in Cordor, you have to be a citizen to own certain properties, or used to be anyway)
If the law is legit, maybe you can find a way to work aruond it. Appease the mayor. Find out what the problem is. Ect. If the law isn't, then you can just ignore the sign.
And even if the mayor is utterly unreasonable ICly, demanding to release your home, then I find that most of the time, the -player- bechindthe character is perfectly reasonable, and will at least give you a little time to move your stuff out/find a new quarter before removing ownership.

The -downside- of this plan is that, as you will have talked to the mayor, you will have given them the amount of rp neccesary for them to mechanically remove your property. But on the other hand, activly avoiding them is-
a) difficult
b) lame
c) more likely to get the proprety removed in general
d) Likely counter productive. The Mayor can just hire someone anonymously, give them the powers to release it, and have -them- hunt you down.

Basically?

The sign is very unlikely to be down to any DM action. It is more likely to be an IC action. If it's legit, probably the best thing you can do is talk to the Mayor and deal with the situation ICly.

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:15 pm

If you're referring to two of the departments in the Shanty Slanty, everything seems leggit, if you click the owner sign. You may always question what the owners wrote on the sign, but I guess it's up to a DM to do/not do something about it

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:47 pm

Mithradates wrote:What ever is going on, could I get some DM input or intervention? The sign states to seek out the Wharftown Mayor (which I won't be doing because the "for sale" sign was placed without warrant), so maybe there would be a good place to start to solve this issue OOC.
It's an IC issue. If the Mayor wants to kick you out, you're going to get kicked out no matter what you do or say. It's perfectly legitimate for a city leader to kick people out based on personal or political differences, and it should be handled in character. If it really rustles your character's jimmies that much, they can always kill the Mayor.

Your best option really is to speak to whoever's in charge. If someone discovers that you're avoiding them so that they won't be able to RP with you, you're going to be a lot worse off than losing a quarter.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

RED GANOT
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by RED GANOT » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:35 pm

From memory of a certain report + incident (which I saw first-hand), mayor and minions have been trying to track your character down IC for a good long while! Not sure if they ever managed, since I haven't been following it since.
When my brood and I soar on wings of fire, and wreak our scourge over Caer Callidyrr; your kith will fall and your kin will too- then what will all of Moonshae do?

Mithradates
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Mithradates » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:09 am

RED GANOT wrote:From memory of a certain report + incident (which I saw first-hand), mayor and minions have been trying to track your character down IC for a good long while! Not sure if they ever managed, since I haven't been following it since.
The incident/report you're referring to had already been taken care of ICly (which I have documentation of), so there is still no good reason for the for sale sign.

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by P Three » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:14 am

There may be stuff going on you'e not aware of too. Happens when things like rumours or biased reports come in. I don't actually know, I'm not saying it's definitely that, but I'm just tossing that out there.
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday

Mithradates
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Mithradates » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:30 am

I get that, but I'm pointing out that this doesn't strike me as fair, and definitely not in the interest of fun for everyone involved.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:38 am

Mithradates wrote:Is a player character placing these or is it a DM?
It was placed by a character.

You're not going to find an appealing answer on the forums. If you really think that someone is being a cheeseball, report it to a DM privately.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Mithradates
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Mithradates » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:39 am

The Rambling Midget wrote:
Mithradates wrote:What ever is going on, could I get some DM input or intervention? The sign states to seek out the Wharftown Mayor (which I won't be doing because the "for sale" sign was placed without warrant), so maybe there would be a good place to start to solve this issue OOC.
It's an IC issue. If the Mayor wants to kick you out, you're going to get kicked out no matter what you do or say. It's perfectly legitimate for a city leader to kick people out based on personal or political differences, and it should be handled in character. If it really rustles your character's jimmies that much, they can always kill the Mayor.

Your best option really is to speak to whoever's in charge. If someone discovers that you're avoiding them so that they won't be able to RP with you, you're going to be a lot worse off than losing a quarter.
Again, this doesn't strike me as fair or in the interest of fun for everyone.

Mithradates
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Mithradates » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:41 am

The Rambling Midget wrote:
Mithradates wrote:Is a player character placing these or is it a DM?
It was placed by a character.

You're not going to find an appealing answer on the forums. If you really think that someone is being a cheeseball, report it to a DM privately.
I definitely will. But making this public will hopefully bring awareness to this. It's just not cool, in my humble opinion.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:32 am

Sucking up, bribery, threats, or challenging the mayor politically are IC actions you can take (among other things, of course). If anything, posting on the forums about it instead of keeping it IC just makes it less likely that the player is going to be willing to work with you to reach an IC agreement that both of your characters will be pleased with.

Let's just drop the idea that PCs always have to behave fairly to one another--they most definitely do not. And most importantly, the idea that you can guilt them into bending their RP to accommodate yours with a forum post is a little misguided. If you think it's really unfair, send a DM message.

Even if you are 100% in the right and they are 100% in the wrong (which isn't true by a long shot), you are not going to improve your IC situation with public OOC complaints.

DM Hephaestus

Post by DM Hephaestus » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:37 am

Lorkas wrote:Even if you are 100% in the right and they are 100% in the wrong (which isn't true by a long shot), you are not going to improve your IC situation with public OOC complaints.
Thiiiiis, for future reference. If you think a rule has been broken, reach out to the DMs.
Server: [DM] Maelstrom just killed Little Girl in Wharftown (Mercantile Building)

DM_Ironfist

Post by DM_Ironfist » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:31 am

To add to the above;

If we were going to remove your characters housing (for whatever reason) we would both talk to you privately about it, and then do it.
If someone's placed a random fixture somewhere suggesting something like that to you, it isn't going to be a DM.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:22 pm

If it were me I would try to keep in mind that if it is an IC doing (which is likely), that it may not be fair deliberately. This is perfectly legit RP, though I would be very careful if I was a mayor and was planning on evicting people. It could be because of your char's race, religion, or maybe no reason at all. Just for some reason the powers that be don't like a char or want the quarters for thier own purposes. All done IC and in respectful Rp mind you:).

Quaragh

Post by Quaragh » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:46 pm

Why didn't you just destroy the sign and then place two of your own that say 'NOT for Sale'

In this way a person can only get rid of one at a time. And if comes down to daily destruction it can then be griefing.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:55 pm

Quaragh wrote:Why didn't you just destroy the sign and then place two of your own that say 'NOT for Sale'

In this way a person can only get rid of one at a time. And if comes down to daily destruction it can then be griefing.
This is a bad idea.

Please do not feed the trolls.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:34 am

Plus then you will definitely not get your way ICly or OOCly.