Question: UD-'Surfacer'-Surfacer interactions

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

ZogTheStout

Question: UD-'Surfacer'-Surfacer interactions

Post by ZogTheStout » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:49 am

So 1) I'm back, if anyone remembers me, and poking around and maybe staying, at least for a while. Enjoying it so far, lots of incredibly neat changes from what I remember =D.

2) I'm playing a (non-outcast) human who is seeming to have reason to spend time in the Underdark. It's plain to me that the conventions have changed significantly since I was last around (when it was acceptable for surfacers to go to Pit Town albeit with great suspicion, but it was basically mandatory that you treated UD races as 'probably about to try to kill me' or 'probably lying about not being about to try to kill me' at all times).

I think I'm toeing the line of 'this place is uncomfortable and alien and I don't like it here, but I've also got some measure of safety in places like Andunor and I'm not imminently and urgently about to be ganked by everything native' okay, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips, or wanted to point out any significant changes in either conventions or official policy which I might have missed since I last played regularly.

Thanks, and I missed y'all!
Last edited by ZogTheStout on Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Question: UD-'Surfacer'-Surfacer interactions

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:07 am

1. Welcome back.

2. Your non-outcast human character will have grown up hearing horror stories about the nasty creatures in the Underdark that come to the surface to take away naughty children in the night. It doesn't matter what the Andunor guards say about civility and neutral ground. They're still going to peel your skin off and make you watch them wear it as a coat. Be afraid.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Razmo_de

Post by Razmo_de » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:28 pm

The Rambling Midget wrote:1. Welcome back.

2. Your non-outcast human character will have grown up hearing horror stories about the nasty creatures in the Underdark that come to the surface to take away naughty children in the night. It doesn't matter what the Andunor guards say about civility and neutral ground. They're still going to peel your skin off and make you watch them wear it as a coat. Be afraid.
At 2: Not so much. Since no one knows if you are an outcast or not, they must assume that you are. While you walk there and keep a low profile.

The horror-stories part is just a lazy excuse to ignore all of your characters experiences and default to a hostile interaction.

So yeah, things are been much nicer now there than in pit town. No one respected the pits mind-effects anyway.

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:59 pm

It's pretty simple.

Andunor is a place full of very nasty, nasty folks. Most of whom are, in fact, monsters.

Can your human, Outcast or Othewise? Survive down there? Sure.

But he better be paranoid, he better be respecful, and he better be useful.

One wrong step and half the city would be more than happy to beat him down, drag him away, and enslave/torture/murder him

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:47 pm

Welcome back, Calassus! :D

Andunor has become more like a UD-dominated Skullport. There's more fluidity, but there's definitely still superiority in the hands of the UDers.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:54 pm

Razmo_de wrote:The horror-stories part is just a lazy excuse to ignore all of your characters experiences and default to a hostile interaction.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:19 am

Yma23 wrote:It's pretty simple.

Andunor is a place full of very nasty, nasty folks. Most of whom are, in fact, monsters.

One wrong step and half the city would be more than happy to beat him down, drag him away, and enslave/torture/murder him
Exactly ... this goes for all surface races, regardless if they are outcast, free, slave or what have you.
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

Tashalar

Post by Tashalar » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:28 am

Rattus_norvegicus99 wrote:
Yma23 wrote:It's pretty simple.

Exactly ... this goes for all surface races, regardless if they are outcast, free, slave or what have you.
Azuilah's been down there for... five, maybe six IC years and I -still- try and hold to this.
(I hope that I have gotten this across sufficiently, Zog :) )
#2: Archmage Swift's Spellduel Rules
#3: "But I'm An Abjurer, I Can't Conjure!"
#4: This Spellbook Is Fire
#5: Think For Once, Archmage Amana
#6: Cor, What A Stunner
#8: Sigermane Special
#9: What Is This, Cordor In The Fifties?

Razmo_de

Post by Razmo_de » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:37 am

The Rambling Midget wrote:"his people are completely literal, metaphors go over his head"
Sorry, http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PoesLaw. I can't tell you from the people who do mean this stuff literally.
Well, I most often do find your point of view a balanced one. Its still hard to tell over the internet.

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:57 pm

Best to view those of the UD as unpredictable at best, Kish has human allies, but the line between allies and food can change, depending on how useful they are, and sometimes how hungry she is.
Plays as the monster in your closet