It was a very good year...

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

It was a very good year...

Post by Artos13 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:51 pm

Well, another year is in the books for Arelith. We had a great year, filled with tons of updates and changes, maybe one of our best in recent times.

First would be Team Underdark. These guys essentially redid the whole server down there, doing an amazing job of creating an atmospheric place and reinvigorating a dying aspect of the server. I can remember the epic forum threads about this time last year from folks who wanted more out of the UD, and the team delivered all that and then some. Without the help of irongron, ActionReplay, Dunishine and many others, this never would have happened. What they've accomplished is impressive, to say the least, and their enthusiasm and excitement was contagious and inspiring to me as well.

We also saw many of the surface settlements get much-needed overhauls. Bendir (now Burrowhome), Brog and Guldorand were all rebuilt, in many cases incorporating player-made content or direction, including the Greyhammer annex of Bendir.

Mithreas made new classes somehow, and reimagined how spellcasting fundamentally can work. Dynamic monster expansion, artifacts, and little random effects like puddles of water and snow drifts accompany the dynamic weather system already in place.

Of course none of this means anything without the players who bring the world alive, and the many DMs this past year of who helped to make that happen.

I'm thankful for everyone who contributed to not only helping to keep Arelith alive, but to help make it thrive. We saw player counts over 100 many times, and seeing 80+ on very regularly gives me hope that we'll see Arelith grow and prosper for many years to come. I just wanted to take a moment to acknowledge all the hard work put into the community, to the people that make it a rewarding endeavor, and those that have made financial contributions as well.

You all have my warmest thanks, and I look forward to all the things we want to accomplish in 2015! :)
Last edited by Artos13 on Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: It was a very good year...

Post by Ork » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:59 pm

Artos, Mith & the UD team. Thank you. I can't wait to see what you creative geniuses concoct next year!

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:32 pm

It's been uttery fantastic to see all this stuff change and be added. Arelith continues to be fresh and interesting all the way, and I've been loving every moment of it! Thank all of you for your hard work, can't wait to see what the next year will bring.

DM_Ironfist

Post by DM_Ironfist » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:07 am

I for one am staggered about how much this server changes every year, and how easy it is to forget how much of it is new. It's been my pleasure and my privilege to DM for ya'll in 2014. I regret my extended and irregular absences during the latter half of my term, but I hope for those I have played with/helped it's been as fun for you as it has for me.

My personal thanks to the rest of the staff, without which we wouldn't have this almost completely free and amazing game.

Seriously. In terms of $ to hours of entertainment out, what could possibly be a better investment than Arelith?

You're all wonderful.

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:11 am

so much DEV love this year.

Thankyou!

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:49 am

+10 :D
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:18 pm

I am so happy that I came into this community... Arelith owns by far in comparison with several other RPG games!

Merry Xmas to everyone
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:38 pm

Great year indeed.

Amongst all the improvements, to me the Underdark ones take the gold medal. For the first time, we've had a setting that succeeded not only to attract more players, but to keep them for .... 7 months time. And keep a really high standard of gaming. This is not only good for the Underdark, but for the server as a whole.

But yeah, there has been a bunch of other changes that really made 2014 great.

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Elena

Post by Elena » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:43 pm

It's really amazing what the Dev's achieved (not only this year, but overall).

I bow :)
Might I respectfully suggest playing the game, rather than indulging in speculation about how we might screw the game up in future? - Mithreas, 2014

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:20 am

I have not had a lot of time to play these last months, but I always look forward to logging in. Well done to everyone

RockandRollOutlaw
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by RockandRollOutlaw » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:19 pm

Jagel, Elena, Cuchilla, The Man of the Moon, Rattus_norvegicus99, Marsi, DM_Ironfist , Yma23, Ork, Artos13
http://arelith.com/donate
Shamelessly promoting FL

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:20 pm

It was a lot of fun to work on the UD module with Irongron and ActionReplay. And it's even more fun to see it's appreciated!

Only downside is less playtime. ;-)

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Artos13 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:37 pm

Get used to saying: "OK, next month I'll be playing again, yeah."

But big thanks for all your hard work this last year. The UD is a jewel.

KregorRanger

Post by KregorRanger » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:07 am

This year also saw the fortification of Bramble Watch Hill. And I've said it before numerous times, but...

Best. IC Reward. Ever.

Truly, seeing the fortification become a permanent landmark, with shelter, storage, even a pond to bathe in, was a better reward for roleplay than even a hundred RPR. Artos, you outdid yourself to replicate what was put there by generations of Bramble factions and Heartwood players, and added great upgrades to boot.

And while it will lack significance to a lot of PCs, and even players, the Howling Point marker on the map made me tear up a little, and I know it did the same for some of the faction's players who went through the events that led to that naming of the hill.

The history of a faction has been preserved on the map. Kregor and every warden before him couldn't have asked for a better legacy. :)

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:33 am

Yeah. Lots of great updates, and I know I haven't come close to seeing them all yet. I'm still kind of giddy about the Guld update. And so, so much of the UD I need to find excuses to go see. As a person who's been banging things out in the toolset since before the actual NWN release, I'm here to say, some of the areas in this module just blow my mind.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm

I'm a newer player but I've noticed things changing and evolving around me since I first started playing here, and all I can say is that it makes me sad that it took me 10+ years of the game existing to find this place.

My thanks to everyone for their time and investment into the server, player-side or DM-side. I hope to still be here years from now.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Artos13 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:23 am

No worries, the first ten years were the prologue. :)

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by P Three » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:44 am

Artos13 wrote:No worries, the first ten years were the prologue. :)
Welcome to:
ARELITH!
Episode IV:
A New Server
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday