Obscure games/Screenshots

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

msterswrdsmn

Obscure games/Screenshots

Post by msterswrdsmn » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:40 am

So. For those times when there isn't anyone else on Arelith to play with. Does anyone else have any good-get-lesser-known games they'd recommend?

To start; the game i'd recommend if you have a ps3/xbox is Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen. It seems to be an overlooked, but very, very addicting game.

The downside to the game is the story sucks Pufferfish. It makes no sense, and it has some giant plotholes.

That said, the gameplay makes up for it. Completely. The game can be unforgiving at times, but not its not as harsh as the Dark Soul series. They vocation system is pretty simple, but is designed to encourage players to experiment with a wide variety of combinations with the nwn equivalent of classes. If you like games with customizable characters, this game easily has the most detailed character customization setup outside of fan/community mods for PC games. Want to play as a fat middle-aged midget? YOU CAN!

I haven't seen many other games that let you climb up a cyclops and stab it in the eye.

Or climb on just about anything else and stab the bejesus out of it, with the proper training.

It lacks a "multiplayer" mode per se, but allows you to exchange your custom followers with other players. Its hard as hell to find a good follower, so you'll have to poke other experienced players to get help with that at times. For the most part, your "pawn" follower is just as customizable as you are.

Its also very easy to take screenshots with.

Razmo_de

Re: Obscure games/Screenshots

Post by Razmo_de » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:41 pm

Master of Orion 1. 4X in space.

Compared to the usual 4X game it is pretty straightforward. You can customize your bases only along a few basic sliders (more industry, more population, build ships, research and build defense)

Makes it basically a quick (once you know how to play) fun game, sized like a browser game with current resolution.

You can put your own ships together, produce them (Want to build a swarm of 4000 fighters or a massive Battleship? Just do both.) and use them in tactical combat against that cheating AI.

It will probably take a while to figure out the game, but it is fun all along.

That game has a random tech tree (only parts of the total tech tree are available in each game), which may demand a different approach each playthrough.

Of course theres diplomacy, spies and the odd space amoeba too.

Black Wendigo

Re: Obscure games/Screenshots

Post by Black Wendigo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:03 am

Some of the more unusual games Ive enjoyed:

The Last Remnant: This is a JRPG. I liked the story, though of course ther is a lot of anime cliches in it. The combat system is unlike any other I've seen in an rpg and takes a LOT of getting used to. It makes sense, but it won't if you come to it with the same paradigm as one would with other such games. Also, the version I played was the PC one, which from my understanding is MUCH better than the original version for Xbox. The Xbox version got slammed by both critics and players for graphics issues. I had no such problems with the PC version, which by now is nice and patched.

Endless Space: This is a 4x turn based space strategy game similar to master of Orion. But warned: one does not approach Endless Space lightly or casually. The game does NOT play like a Civilization game in space, as the mechanics are very different though you are going for similar goals. Also the AI is punishing and very good. I cannot get past normal level without having my butt handed to me in a few turns.

Endless Legend: Similar to Endless Space only in a fantasy+ machine+ modern units setting. If you have not bought Civilization Byond Earth, this is the game to buy instead. Again it plays different from Civilization.

Thunderscape: This is a very old RPG with turn based combat, a dungeon crawl atmosphere, and some very large areas. It's from the 90's and is for those who are looking for and alternative to d and d, but similar concept.

Fragile Allegiance: I would be very surprised if anyone remembers this game. It's a space sim in which you play the owner of a space mining company. The play takes place entirely on asteroids that constantly float around and on must keep from colliding them into each other as you expand your operations. There is diplomacy and trade with other races, which I found to be adequate but not stellar. The fun part I found was the unusual nature of the game, though the concept has a very huge flaw in it that makes mining irrelevant in the end.

Imperium Galatcum 2: This is a RTS which features a story line and quests. It's not Starcraft or other RTS games where its kind of like a Chinese fire drill. The scale is much small with focus on empire building and fleet building.