OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

5% Dreams - Answer Individually

Post by The GrumpyCat » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:26 pm

Question for the community

What would YOU like to see as a 5% option. Don't worry too much about stats and such, just neat concepts that you would like to play, that you would choose from.

Before you answer - DO NOT read other posts, or if you do don't let them effect your own. Don't read and go 'Oh, such-and-such has already posted 'A Harpy.' So I'd best not say 'Harpy' even though I would want one. Instead I'll post this other neat thing...'

Answer for yourself and only yourself. That way if I see ten people on this posting 'A Harpy' for example, I know that they're a much desired race and (if feasable) should definatly go on the list.

GO!
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

-XXX-

Re: 5% Dreams - Answer Individually

Post by -XXX- » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:28 pm

Succubus

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:38 pm

More surface race options, or races that could be played on surface. They don't even have to be considered "monstrous" like many of the UD reward races. (though some still might be, I suppose)

I know a lot of these could be covered under rewards other than 5%, or even just open without a reward, but some may fall into the 5% category so i'll post it here anyway.

Arelith originally, and even very much now, tends to avoid the high magic and obscure race influx as much as possible, slowly but surely we've been edging more toward that direction but for the most part we're still not absolutely there, so I understand why many possible surface races haven't been introduced, yet.

However there are others that could be considered very common in many places in FR Lore, almost as common as your dwarf, elf, or gnome, and the fact that they aren't a thing has always felt strange to me (could just be mechanical/model constraints, which makes sense)

Here's a list of a some of the more common potential races that could easily be played on the surface:
- Dragonborn (not to be confused with Half Dragons)
- Goliath
- Aarakocra
- Firbolg
- Kenku
- Tabaxi
- Warforged (only if you're willing to open up the Eberron Lore as legit on Arelith)

There are a lot of things i'd like to see as an option for 5%, but to suggest a single "one" it'd have to simply be "surface races" lol, the variety for UD players far surpasses the variety for surface players and there's only so many human characters I can play before it starts getting a bit stale :)
Last edited by Orian_666 on Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:38 pm

Shadow planetouched

born lycans (werecat,wereboar,wererat) or just open up beyond werewolf
Last edited by Ebonstar on Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes I can sign

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Eira » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:40 pm

Lythari. Or start as a werewolf.

I exist to describe the world around us.

Akorae

Keth'ym Evanara - wandering better paths
Veriel Xyrdan - married and happy
Reena Welkins - Dead

Discord: eighra

LichBait

Post by LichBait » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:42 pm

My top 4, in order, of those that are not already available (or previously available like Dragon), are below:

Firbolg
Drider
Half-Fiend (Fey'ri, Cambion, Alu-Fiend, ect)
Half-Celestial

Current
Ayiesha Dahyarif
Ilphaeryl Xun'viir

Apothys
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Apothys » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:50 pm

Mindflayer!

Imagine that new factions within Andunor... the rp and fear it would bring!

As for Lycanthrope stated earlier on the thread a natural Lycan is already a 5% option.

Talandis Tanor'Thal
Kalnafein Cress'delbarra
Tanis Thade
Merklynn Steelshadow II
Gulmyr Dro'Vaalvaz
Aerik Northman

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:59 pm

MYCONIDS!

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:00 pm

I mean come on man

Drowble Oh Seven

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:07 pm

Special items. Things like a sword that grants scry, or a mirror that lets you change your PCs appearance on the fly for horrifying, fleshwarped disguises.

Relaxation of racial/alignment restrictions. Things like a neutral paladin (praise HELM) or a non-lawful monk (so your malarite can finally tear things apart with their hands!). Less new, shiny things, and more usual things presented in an unusual fashion.

Also going to throw myself behind all the people saying 'Avariel.' Being able to -fly to preset destinations as per -teleport would be very neat.
Last edited by Drowble Oh Seven on Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:15 pm

I've always wanted to play an Erynies, simply because LE is a wonderful alignment and can actually work in some societies.
Also, Sea Elves. Perhaps even with an underwater city and stuff! The lore of aquatic races in general is absolutely awesome and I'd like to recommend everyone to look into it at some point :D
Baelnorn or Crinti would also be interesting concepts.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:18 pm

True Moonblades, with a list of various properties that players can select a couple from.

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:21 pm

- Natural Werewolves & Other Lycanthropes (Wererats, Cats, and Boars already have models in the game; would include control over their ability to shapeshift and freedom of alignment - perhaps a slightly reduced version of Totem Druid shifting with functional natural weapons?)

- Kenku/Tengu/Whatever (Harvey Birb Man: Attorney at CAAAAAW!)

- A menu that allows you to pick 1-2 items from a selection of handy premade options that are then nontransferable (widgets or items that mimic the effects of Epic Spell Foci, a disguise kit that lets you change head model + hair color + tattoo color on the fly, a selection of Magic Mining/Hunting/etc Bags with 10% weight reduction and like a 1000-2000 lbs limit, etc., etc.)

- Weavemasters & Flavored Souls

- The ability to play a Harper without needing to take one of the Harper PrC's (admittedly, this would only really work with a DM greenlighting the character concept still, so it's not really an automated option)

- Gift of Vanity (+2 to all stats, +2 ECL; may only take Minor Gifts)

- A really big ECL reduction
what would fred rogers do?

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:31 pm

- The ability to play a Harper without needing to take one of the Harper PrC's (admittedly, this would only really work with a DM greenlighting the character concept still, so it's not really an automated option)
Unless something has changed without me noticing, you don't have to take the class to be a harper. You still need all the pre-requisits (good aligned, points in lore, discipline, iron will ect) but you do not need to actually ever take the class. So good news! If your harper app is good enough, you can indeed do this without any award!
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:40 pm

As Grumpy said, you need the pre-reqs, but you don't have to take the class (Though now as the classes are, it usually makes more sense to take them).

5%s concepts for me would be Brownie. The pixie model is a bit small so it'd be nice to use gnome or halfling. Gnome and halflings also don't get access to a lot of the other options which are medium only.

Avariel would be my second concept choice. Just like sea-elves, they'd make a cool rare option.
Please don't feed my sister.

Wrips

Post by Wrips » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:42 pm

Fallen Deva

I was just discussing the concept with Spyre before he left.

Apokriphos

Post by Apokriphos » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:49 pm

I am strongly against adding additional/more powerful gift options, which will just incentivize power leveling for a 5% to get pvp benefits without adding any additional roleplay value to Arelith.

As opposed to power creep pushing with 5% items and boosted abilities, I would suggest enabling new and interesting pc races that already have an existing place in the lore and world instead. I would also tie or empower their abilities when they remain in the right region for their race thematically.

Medium-large size creatures from Andunor and surrounding areas: Minotaur, Myconids, Crystal Golem, Drider, Troll

Baator/Abyss (avoiding high powered demons and devil races for balance): Succubus, Erynies, Goat hoofed Demon

Myon: Baelnorn

Shadow Plane: Shadow-touched races - elf dwarf human halfling orc gnome
Last edited by Apokriphos on Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:49 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:31 pm
Unless something has changed without me noticing, you don't have to take the class to be a harper. You still need all the pre-requisits (good aligned, points in lore, discipline, iron will ect) but you do not need to actually ever take the class. So good news! If your harper app is good enough, you can indeed do this without any award!
That's not the point.

There's no point in not taking one of the PrC's if you've already got the prerequisites - taking the prerequisites involves wasting feats and skill points for the majority of builds. So not building around taking the PrC's while still taking the feats/skill investments (especially since a lot of classes have to cross-class skills to get them) is just shooting yourself in both feet instead of just one.
what would fred rogers do?

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:01 pm

I would like different types of Lycans, too!

My list is: Centaur (I have been told, a long time ago, that this is not possible but I will forever keep it at the top of my list)
Avariel
Catfolk
Changelings
Flind
Hags
Shadar-Kai

-S
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

Xarge VI

Post by Xarge VI » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:05 pm

Githyanki and Githzerai!

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:09 pm

i know wemic can be done so centaur should be able as well with minor adjustments
Yes I can sign

Grench02

Post by Grench02 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:14 pm

Maybe simple options?
+1 minor, +2 normal, +3 Greater, +4 Major bonus to a single ability (str or dex or con or int or wis or chr).
*Starting additional Skill (pick from entire skills list) minor 5, normal 10, greater 15, major 20 points.
*Starting additional Feat (pick from entire starting feat list) (1 Greater, 2 Major)
*One tier Dweomorcraft (Major)

Spell-like perk options:
*Portal Self (Greater)
*Portal Other (Greater)
*Call a Fleeting Portal (Major)
*Send a Whisp (Greater)
*Regeneration (X per in-game hour triggered on the State Meter, not 'gradual' but all in lump at each State Meter report) Minor 1HP, Normal 5HP, Greater 10HP, Major 20HP. No overhealing.

Major award -extradimensional space- selection results in a random d20 roll for result:

*1-10 result: Rope Trick - essentially a 'residence item' with no furnishings or chest, all items left vanish on undeploy. Item looks like a rope, cannot be traded. Doorway deployed looks like an upright blue oval portal. Cannot be locked. When open, anyone can enter/leave. Exiting an undeployed rope results in respawn to the area default spawn/entry point. Does not count as a residence per server rules. Create 20 of these 'spaces' per server. Each deployed 'rope trick' has a 5% chance of 'grabbing' onto any one of the 20 'extra-dimensional spaces' on each server. If it happens to grab onto one already deployed, it closes the other portal and re-routes the exit to itself. Players in the space exiting might be in for a surprise. (Effectively a chance of 'portal failure' when 'too many' are opened.) Can only be deployed once per in-game day.

*11-19 result: Leomund's tiny hut - essentially a 'residence item', appears as a wooden door when used. Door should have 60 locks and strength. 'Interior' uses simple grass hut interior room. Furnishings placed persist up to 6, one residence chest. Owner can open the door to let self/others in. Item looks like a crude wooden door when deployed. Exiting an undeployed hut results in respawn to the area default spawn/entry point. Item should weigh at least 25lbs and take 6 inventory slots and cannot be traded. Not sure if this should count towards the one residence per player rule - maybe have the character-area assignment die off after 12 months of no login?. Likely would need to be tied to and only functional on one of the three servers based on the initial character creation entry/spawn point.

*20 result: Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion - essentially a 'residence item', 'interior' should model after a fine Cordor Estate, up to 60 furnishings can persist, two residence chests, counts as residence per server rules. Door should have 105 locks and strength. When deployed, appears as an armored door. Exiting an undeployed mansion results in respawn to the area default spawn/entry point. Item looks like a golden key, cannot be traded, cannot go on a keyring, weighs 1lb. Not sure if this should count towards the one residence per player rule. - maybe have the character-area assignment die off after 12 months of no login? Likely would need to be tied to and only functional on one of the three servers based on the initial character creation entry/spawn point.

Grench02

Post by Grench02 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:27 pm

DM Titania wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:40 pm
5%s concepts for me would be Brownie. The pixie model is a bit small so it'd be nice to use gnome or halfling. Gnome and halflings also don't get access to a lot of the other options which are medium only.
There is, in theory, a simpler method to that goal - and more size appropriate than Gnome or Halfling.
CEP Brownie models with butterfly wings = player as pixie with real clothing.
CEP Brownie models with cloven foot legs and dog head = player as Kobold with real clothing.
CEP Brownie models with cloven foot legs and bat wings and horns = player as Imp with real clothing.
Yes - CEP has some not so great bits in it. The CEP Brownie body models and CEP wings and fawn legs are actually pretty darn good though. Maybe they can be scraped out of CEP and done as DLC? Not sure.

Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Anatida » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:33 pm

Aasimar

PlsThxBai

My pronouns are: She/Her/That *itch

Aurian

Post by Aurian » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:34 pm

Edit: whoops, I did it wrong and read the other posts first.

Sorry Grumpy!

But I've been dreaming of Avariel as an option since long before this thread existed, so that's one I can add.
Last edited by Aurian on Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.