People attacking Necromancer Zeyn without any RP

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Vitor

People attacking Necromancer Zeyn without any RP

Post by Vitor » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:38 am

Hello, I play with Necromancer Zeyn.

SInce my character has been known as an evil necromancer, and got strong, people now are attacking him without any RP, some attacks comes from nowhere, i only notice the person when he is already hiting me. In only two day three characters did that!!

I will not complain about people that attack me without typing -hostile, its a mistake or someone who are learning the game (it happens a lot too).

I must say that when i was learning the game, and my character was weak, i use to talk more brief words and try to start the combat to get some advantage. The DMs corrected me, advised me, and since then i have never done that. But is very hard to follow this when people dont do the same to me.

Some characters argue that Zeyn is evil, so they can attack me this way, or since he saw me doing something evil, he can attack me without RP. This kind of argument could serve me the same way to say that i can attack people without a single word of interaction just because my character is evil and like to kill.

I dont like to report people, and its kind of useless, when people do that i aways talk to the person, and usually he understand and apologize. I think this post will help me more with that problem.

Thanks and good game for everyone.

Feel free to comment about Zeyn and give me advices, we are learning together.
Vitor Hugo
Zeyn
Grandzeth

AdreannaDrea

Re: People attacking Necromancer Zeyn without any RP

Post by AdreannaDrea » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:49 am

Just log their names and the time, and tell a DM via messages.

look...

Currently Playing:
Kethra Stormwind

Previous:
Nadara el Khalyd (Belford)
Alaunthrae Zau'rahel
Kerenza Massalan
Jenna Gaskell
Nathyria Angevin
Kalina 'Storm' Star

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:20 pm

Sounds like an issue you should voice to the DMs in a private in-game or forum chat, not air publicly on the forums.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Sombricimos

Post by Sombricimos » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:42 pm

Given Zeyn's tendency to cause trouble, I'd be curious to hear from the other side as well.

I've always had that impression that Zeyn did/does not respect the 24h rule and barely takes the time to RP before PvP.

I've never experienced it, but it's the feeling I get. I could be very wrong.

But when you know that Zeyn's shop in Sencliff recently had a bunch of five or six different heads to sell, most of them from PCs played by people that can and do RP well....

You get what I mean.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:57 pm

Hello there,

When it comes to being engaged in PvP, regardless of your alignment every PC should interact with you prior to -hostiling and attacking you, otherwise you should report them and the DMs who will look into it. I have not known anyone to get away with attacking people without roleplay ( for too long, at least ).

However, considering my first interaction with your character has been something along these lines:
My character asks: "What are these mummies doing here?", to which Zeyn's immediately replied with "I'll explain", into -hostile into sending mummies our way while everyone in my party is typing... I can see why you might be having this issue. it can be a little bit difficult for people to be incentivized to give you more roleplay lines before attacking if this is how you plan to approach them, news spread quickly IC and OOC and your character will be treated similarly based on this: In a very similar fashion how you will see DirtyDeity dropping lines and lines of text of roleplay prior to initiating a PvP ( and most often it isn't even him initiating it ) UNLESS his character is performing a defensive action in form of an offense.

What do I mean by this?

I mean if a paladin or ANY character ( They don't need to be lawful good. They can be neutral evil for all you know, if they dislike animation they will have an issue with your character ) sees Zeyn walking around with vampires, it's very likely that there will be a confrontation on their part.

Make no mistake, animation is evil -- In very few cases it is not, but from what I've seen from Zeyn it perfectly fits the neutral evil category -- Therefore, there will be an immediate response. But nobody, ever, is allowed to PvP your character without roleplay.

What can you as a player do about it, and how can you use this to your advantage to create more roleplay?

Be more approachable. Seems like the DMs have explained you why one-lining is bad, but just trying to talk to somebody often times won't work. My character, for example, thinks that Zeyn deserves to be killed no matter what -- But this doesn't mean I'm not keen to roleplay. Example number one, Zeyn is standing next to his vampires while trying to argue the elves that everything is fine, and that there is no need for conflict isn't really going to work very well for him -- The first thing the elves, for example, will assume that he's trying to play dumb. Example number two, Zeyn could immediately dispel his vampires and use that as a way of persuading somebody to Roleplay with him more. Yes, he is putting himself in more of a dangerous situation by doing so and yes often times people will use this to their advantage, but these are the IC risks that you can take to be more approachable. Somebody decides to attack him afterwards immediately? Fine, Sanctuary and run away -- Zeyn wants to argue his case that he isn't being evil? Find the same person ten minutes later and go "Hey! Why did you do that? I was just trying to talk to you. Who's being evil here now huh, you or me?" -- Make people absolutely angry. Give them something to work with. That's just one of the examples.

As a general rule of thumb, animators/warlocks/monsters get attacked on the surface . This, however, doesn't mean you can't try to be approachable and offer roleplay to people. If people don't take it, that's on them. You can't really force anyone to go with your roleplay, but there will be someone who absolutely will. If somebody is attacking him without any roleplay - Report it. The DMs will look into it.

I hope this helped.

Edit: Quick note, I didn't notice "with" part, however same things apply regardless. if your character is an associated with someone known for causing trouble, you will be given a hard time -- But, again, offering more roleplay to the people WITHOUT a poor argument ( You aren't going to convince a Doomguide that it's okay to have animator friends ) is the way to go about it.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:20 pm

Yeah this should be reported to us, not splatted out on the forums for anyone to see. I appreciate the replies given mark you, and mean no disrespect - but I am going to now lock this topic.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)