Apologies for Zeyn character atitude.

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Vitor

Apologies for Zeyn character atitude.

Post by Vitor » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:43 pm

Hello

I play Necromancer Zeyn.

I would like to apologize to everyone who was offended by the sale of heads in the shop.

I would also like to apologize to everyone who was irritated by the excess of PvP conducted by me in the interpretation of my character.

Know that it was never my intention to make anyone angry. I think I really exaggerated the way I built this villain.

Maybe I started with a lot of fights when using a character that uses the living dead so openly. When creating the character I put him as a guy who does not run away from fights and never dismiss the undead, and that made him fight excessively and accumulate many enemies.

I knew I was acting excessively in the fights, and it would soon be called attention, so I ended up thinking that some interactions with some characters were linked to some attitude that the DMs could take against Zeyn.

I had already taken the attitude of reducing the fights, but Zeyn reached a point that was being sought after, he has many enemies.

I hope that for some it was good to have a village like Zeyn. From now on I will use it less and with a different attitude. He will no longer be the old Zeyn, however, he will remain what he is, a chaotic evil.

Bunnysmack
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Apologies for Zeyn character atitude.

Post by Bunnysmack » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:07 pm

Playing a villain on a RP server is difficult, the biggest advice I can give you is to establish long term goals for Zeyn, a philosophy behind those goals, and establish more story with the people you fight. Especially if it is pretty clear that the other person is no match for you, try and find alternative ways to resolve the scene. Maybe terrify rather than kill? Maybe use this as a chance to make a captive audience listen to Zeyn's mad views on life? Find opportunities to make a story rather than a fight, and if a fight does happen, find ways for that to play into a bigger narrative than simply having someone die and respawn.

Admittedly, that won't always work out. Sometimes one or both sides get REALLY trigger happy, and a pvp happens too quick for much dialogue to occur, but generally "conflict RP" should be more about the "RP" than the "conflict."
"You're insufferable..."
"That's not true! I can totally be suffered!"

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:42 pm

It wasn't the RP, it was the green text.

torugor

Post by torugor » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:06 am

As a character who was dragged ingame to role-play with zeyn in his constant struggles and battles, all i can say from my experience is that we were more often than not being attacked rather than attacking people.

There was plently of reasons for people want to kill him. He is a necromancer...he is a psycopath and he has killed friends. I couldnt go out of sencliff with him and not have someone hunt us down and attack us.

Want to make sure people understand IT IS NOT A COMPLAINT its just an observation of a fact.

I think a lot of people liked this interaction as much as he does enjoy a good pvp. I think pvp has no problem as long as there is a good justification to happen (with zeyn there is always a good justification) and as long as people dont hold a grudge for being killed. I know my brother dont.

What had been happening increasingly was people exploiting some dirty tactics to kill him like having half party attacking and the other half not aggressive to kill him. Or people sending him party requests prior to attacks to make it harder for him to react to aggressors.

I told him to inform the DMs of this stuff. Anyway i think this post is in the wrong forum as it is not a ig story

DM Rex

Post by DM Rex » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:38 am

Fixed.

Nobs

Post by Nobs » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:26 am

The player of Zeyn is not a bad person.

I was attacked twice aswel by Zeyn but we worked it out through rp after that where the player of Zeyn shown good sportmanship all around.

Dont think many players would have done what he did to make it right with my character.

DM MoonMoon
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM MoonMoon » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:05 pm

Things people often forget when making a bad guy, one that really stands out and has depth:

1. Fear. (yes fear!) what is it that scares them, why are they so dead set on their ways they will go extremes to avoid.

- They fear never seeing a loved one again, and each time the heroes thwart their plans to use dark dangerous and world breaking magic to revive their love, it only makes them worry more that the will forever be alone.

- The fear their own death (from a prophecy perhaps?) and will go great measures to avoid it, get stronger, and the usual trope of self fulfilling prophecy.

- They fear a greater power than themselves, somethings far worse than the heroes, so they would never join or convert because doing so would doom them more than attempting to beat the heroes.

2. Goals. What are they trying to do? Evil for the sake of evil is something from the 80s. Sometimes having a world ending monster is great, but all characters we play have thoughts feelings and intelligence. Give them a reason.

- Get back at over Zealous Paladins / celestial beings of a god, knights of an order. Killed family or ruined their life. (perhaps was a cushy nobles life they were a bit too comfy in and the heroes came to 'save the village from tyranny' but all you were doing was your job, just lazily.

- Obtain or destroy and object of affection that let you down for another. Would you go great lengths to ruin the other person they love and be there to "support" the aftermath? Would you choose that if I cant have them no one will! Lots of options here and can work well with asking OOCly with people for a dynamic, but leaving the plans to be FOIG. This evil can rise in character also, that they were neutral acting until this comes into affect showing their true nature.

There are TONS of things, some examples there I hope help explain what I mean, but for you evil go getters, remember FEARS and GOALS.
DM Wraith: @DM MoonMoon Nice one, Idk howl you do it, it does seem a bit furfetched

Arienette
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Arienette » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:44 pm

Since it seems like you are looking for feedback here...

My suggestion would be to remember to be graceful when you lose.

If you are playing a character who is very active in PvP (and frequently winning), as a player you need to be extra sure to be cool about it when you lose. That goes a long way in maintaining goodwill as a villain and ensuring that you don't come across as a murderhobo.

DM Rex

Post by DM Rex » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:54 pm

This is more of a general observation, and not intended towards anyone specifically, though it is a point I feel may be relevant to some things being discussed here. It's always important to remember you are not your character. And other people aren't their characters. We can feel offended if we get too personal with our own characters, and in the introspective we can think other people are only horrible people out to steal our fun, that they're awful and evil without souls, and so on...

Maintaining healthy distances from characters, and making sure to mentally check ourselves on our perceptions of other players is a good thing to do, and maintain.