More portraits please?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Skeletor
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

More portraits please?

Post by Skeletor » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:07 am

I love the current portrait selection but I was wondering if there could be more added?
Wanted to make a black human male character and there were like 3 or 4.
Not sure who's managing that project or how they are selected, here are a few nice ones!

https://ar.pinterest.com/ceceliab/black-dnd-characters/

Svrtr
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: More portraits please?

Post by Svrtr » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:49 am

Actually , if you mean the base game ones that is beyond arelith. However there is a mod, notably on the steam workshop, that adds more specific to arelith. They're added by request largely, so you can go to the arelith portrait pack discord and request specific ones be added that you send in and if it is not NSFW it will 9 times out of 10 be added (though usually it takes a bit of time for the pack to be updated).

If you're in the arelith official discord ask for a link to the portait pack discord and images can be submitted there

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:10 am

https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Portrait

you can make your own with the free program called gimp.
your the only one that can see it unless other folks download it

Skeletor
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Skeletor » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:37 pm

Svrtr wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:49 am
If you're in the arelith official discord ask for a link to the portait pack discord and images can be submitted there
TY will do that!

Quidix
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Quidix » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:34 pm

Out of curiosity, is there a reason the unofficial Portrait Mod isn't made official to ensure everyone can see portraits and there is more default options? Are there technical reasons / challenges?

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:50 pm

Copyright, probably? I don't use it because I have my own custom portraits, but the vast majority of nwn portraits are, let's say, unauthorized for this use.

("Straight up cribbed" if you would)
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:59 pm

Quidix wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:34 pm
Out of curiosity, is there a reason the unofficial Portrait Mod isn't made official to ensure everyone can see portraits and there is more default options? Are there technical reasons / challenges?
Well, quite frankly I think 80% of the unofficial portrait pack is garbage that doesn't fit at all with the NWN artstyle that I don't want to see so I'm glad that it's opt-in.

Also last I had a look at it there were some rather NSFW portraits that had snuck in.

AdreannaDrea

Post by AdreannaDrea » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:57 pm

As a side note, I have two packs on the steam workshop (under AdreannaDrea) for both male & female. Might be worth having a look through and see what you like?

look...

Currently Playing:
Kethra Stormwind

Previous:
Nadara el Khalyd (Belford)
Alaunthrae Zau'rahel
Kerenza Massalan
Jenna Gaskell
Nathyria Angevin
Kalina 'Storm' Star

deserk

Post by deserk » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:46 pm

Nitro wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:59 pm
Well, quite frankly I think 80% of the unofficial portrait pack is garbage that doesn't fit at all with the NWN artstyle that I don't want to see so I'm glad that it's opt-in.

Also last I had a look at it there were some rather NSFW portraits that had snuck in.
Absolutely agree with this. Quality over quantity, always. Not to mention, the portraits in that pack are really disorganized and a headache to navigate through. The portraits ought to have been listed by gender, race, subrace/culture and then class/profession (i.e. m_elf_sun_wizard1, m_hum_turami_fighter1, f_hum_westerner_bard1 etc.), so people can more easily find what they are looking for. No portraits should be listed by character names (which is a big part of the reason why that portrait pack is a clogged up mess). They should all be intended for use by everyone.

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:46 pm

well. you can make your own portrait pack sorted like that.. and who knows.. you might get on top the list if your pack is full of quality. seams like an easy win, the way you describe the current options... ^.^

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:06 pm

deserk wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:46 pm
Absolutely agree with this. Quality over quantity, always. Not to mention, the portraits in that pack are really disorganized and a headache to navigate through. The portraits ought to have been listed by gender, race, subrace/culture and then class/profession (i.e. m_elf_sun_wizard1, m_hum_turami_fighter1, f_hum_westerner_bard1 etc.), so people can more easily find what they are looking for. No portraits should be listed by character names (which is a big part of the reason why that portrait pack is a clogged up mess). They should all be intended for use by everyone.
That's not the point of this portrait pack. I put my portraits in there always by my character name in case I ever need to change it. No matter how you do it, the dispel in NWN is not going to be good since there is no way to filter anyway.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

TroubledWaters

Post by TroubledWaters » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:27 pm

Is it possible to load both the Arelith portrait pack and that mod that lets you use more NPC portraits at the same time, or do they always overwrite each other?

I had a character that used a NPC rat as his portrait, which I really loved. I try not to use the face portraits too much as I confuse them with other characters and they never really look just right.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:39 pm

Please god no more potraits in the portrait pack. It is already a nightmare to scroll through to find anything that isn't
"I'm another sexy (Male or Female) elf". Perhaps curation is what is need but right now, please god no more.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:13 am

Just going to field a large amount of replies in this thread as I am the current owner of the packs:
Copyright, probably? I don't use it because I have my own custom portraits, but the vast majority of nwn portraits are, let's say, unauthorized for this use.
Yes, this is why it will remain unofficial. It was always an unofficial pack back when CraigOrion took it over. I took over what was a massive pack and kept the material that people have been using. But, with it being a culmination of copyrighted information the best approach is an indirect connection - if we had all official Arelith artwork then we could make it official. And, I'd only do that if it was in a proper NWN style.
deserk wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:46 pm
Nitro wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:59 pm

People have a wide variety of tastes and the original pack combined a bunch of old collections with new submissions. It has gone through several purges to remove what I deem inappropriate content or otherwise tasteless, blurry or just not fitting. However, a purely NWN-thematic package is in the works with only taking submissions that fit the current portraits of NWN that players have submitted (once again will be an opt in).

Disorganized? Definitely. I had the intention of renaming all the portrait files; however, since these were already in use by players (having had combed the entire database to see who was using what one), it would have been more of a hassle and extra work for the DMs for an opt-in package that was not officially supported. Had I had my way with my initial plans, I would have introduced a portraits.2da into the pack that utilizes appropriate naming, gender and race specifications to limit the number of portraits that populate and make it easier to navigate.

Symphony had worked on a website that allowed you to actively browse the archive. Its currently down as he needs to examine what he did and remember what he did. But the intention is to get that back up and running.
Please god no more potraits in the portrait pack. It is already a nightmare to scroll through to find anything that isn't
"I'm another sexy (Male or Female) elf". Perhaps curation is what is need but right now, please god no more.
However, with the above suggestions, it sounds like we have more volunteers to do this work? Otherwise, it remains in the hands of a few people (two to three). We are always looking for extra hands. So put your name forward.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.