Time Change - What to call Tomorrow?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Ninjimmy

Re: Time Change - What to call Tomorrow?

Post by Ninjimmy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:37 pm

Lexx wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:42 am
Just use whatever term the individual might prefer, honestly. Barely anyone used the term Tencycle/Tenday before in game already. So I see more the same happening with this.
This might be a YMMV thing but I've encountered 1 IRL day = 1 Tenday quite a lot.
Playing:
Olwin (AKA Olicoros Vrozt Akael Shilligg Jugem Dojj Winzalfur AKA That £$%^ing Wizard)

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:38 pm

"Two threedays from now" takes more time to type out than "six days from now" I'll probably just end up saying 3,6,9,12etc days from now for IG events happening a set number of RL days from current day.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:29 pm

Lexx wrote:
Just use whatever term the individual might prefer, honestly. Barely anyone used the term Tencycle/Tenday before in game already. So I see more the same happening with this.
Huh? Everyone uses these terms. That's weird to say.

And yeah, it's not necessary, but like anything in language, having a commonly used word for something is useful. That's the entire point of language.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Lexx

Post by Lexx » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:21 pm

Xerah wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:29 pm
Lexx wrote:
Huh? Everyone uses these terms. That's weird to say.

And yeah, it's not necessary, but like anything in language, having a commonly used word for something is useful. That's the entire point of language.
I've more commonly seen people broadly reference in "a few days" to reference a Tenday or cycle for years. Or something similar to mean an IRL day. A lot of times having had to go further and explain OOC when they weren't sure what I meant in terms of saying a Tenday. I tend to find this a common thing with newer people to the server that don't have a grasp on FR lore yet usually.

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:01 pm

overmorrow? 1 overmorrow in game is equal to 1 tomorrow real life

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:09 pm

I know game times passes on but ive never cared what game month is was, neither has it ever made a difference to anything going on.
When I started playing here a long long long long time ago, a tenday which is used on most FR servers to equal a RL week was used most of the time as such, when someone said your sword will be ready tomorrow the meaning was not game day it was RL day( and I still do this now).

It's only in the last 18 months that ive seen this increasing trend to mean 1 day for a tenday, now i admit i stopped playing for some time because I had other things that demanded my time, but this whole counting game days is to me just weird.

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:40 am

Use 1 to 1 time and skip the weirdness entirely.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:06 am

Dalenger wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:02 am
chris a gogo wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:48 pm
Tenday is because the months are divided into 3 Tendays not because the server happens to have 10 days per RL day.
It's not an Arelith specific term.

In fact if not for the "bloody romans" we would still be using tendays and have thirteen months in the year.
The only people we hate more than the Romans are the Snuggle a Bugbear Judean People's Front
whoever was responsible for this deserves to be stabbed

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:59 am

Kuma wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:06 am
Dalenger wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:02 am
chris a gogo wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:48 pm
Tenday is because the months are divided into 3 Tendays not because the server happens to have 10 days per RL day.
It's not an Arelith specific term.

In fact if not for the "bloody romans" we would still be using tendays and have thirteen months in the year.
The only people we hate more than the Romans are the Snuggle a Bugbear Judean People's Front
whoever was responsible for this deserves to be stabbed
et tu, tricycle?
what would fred rogers do?

Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Anatida » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:11 pm

Threeday - unless you're referring to a short multiple of RL days and then just "six days" or "nine days". People will just understand that each RL day is now three days instead of ten and can divide accordingly.

My pronouns are: She/Her/That *itch

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:06 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

ScalesofEquilibrium

Post by ScalesofEquilibrium » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:34 pm

Kessarin wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:44 pm
Party in the forest at midnight wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:28 pm
I was planning on saying "A few days ago" or "In a few days"
This right here.
Saying anything other than this should earn your character weird looks and some doubt from sane people.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:06 pm

ScalesofEquilibrium wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:34 pm
Kessarin wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:44 pm
Party in the forest at midnight wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:28 pm
I was planning on saying "A few days ago" or "In a few days"
This right here.
Saying anything other than this should earn your character weird looks and some doubt from sane people.
Not really because some people will say IC "in a few days" and actually mean RL few days, so it gets pretty confusing.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:53 pm

Either in three days or someone needs to make an rl time to arelith back and forth converter so we can be specific you won't catch me dead using thriceday ic
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Anatida » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:11 pm

"A few days" literally gives me no information about timing, without an OOC follow-up for details. I guess that's fine for general conversation, but most of my IC conversations are about scheduling, or reporting as close as possible, when something happened.

So if someone currently tells me, it happens in a tenday, or it happened about two tendays ago, then I know exactly what they mean. It will happen tomorrow (RL), or it happened two days ago (RL).

Thus I reaffirm my suggestion for "Threeday".

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:37 pm

Drowboy wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:53 pm
Either in three days or someone needs to make an rl time to arelith back and forth converter so we can be specific you won't catch me dead using thriceday ic
There is one. You pull open the Arelith website, go to portal and then click on "Calendar" just above the big "Arelith Portal" image.

You can see exactly what the IG date/time will be at any given RL hour on any given RL day.
what would fred rogers do?

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:38 pm

Threeday works in the singular but starts sounding incredibly dumb in the plural. Why would anyone say three threeday when that takes longer to write out than nine days and requires the same amount of mental gymnastics?

Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Anatida » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:58 pm

Nitro wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:38 pm
Threeday works in the singular but starts sounding incredibly dumb in the plural. Why would anyone say three threeday when that takes longer to write out than nine days and requires the same amount of mental gymnastics?
Anatida wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:11 pm
...- unless you're referring to a short multiple of RL days and then just "six days" or "nine days". People will just understand that each RL day is now three days instead of ten and can divide accordingly.

Security_Blanket

Post by Security_Blanket » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:22 pm

I don't see how this makes IC sense for everyone to now start saying "Threeday" or whatever. I say keep it simple and keep it IC. 1 RL day = a few days, 2 RL days = a week, 3 RL days = a tenday.

Draco Deleteur
Dreadlord Lucius Blackhand - "All is as Bane wills it."

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:25 pm

Security_Blanket wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:22 pm
I don't see how this makes IC sense for everyone to now start saying "Threeday" or whatever. I say keep it simple and keep it IC. 1 RL day = a few days, 2 RL days = a week, 3 RL days = a tenday.
Because it's not some big deal that people start calling things differently?

A few days doesn't mean the same thing to everyone so it will get confusing. So, that is the very opposite of keeping it simple.

Security_Blanket

Post by Security_Blanket » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:49 pm

Xerah wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:25 pm
So is there an IC reasoning for why all the people on the island no longer refer to a week and only a day? Just trying to learn why our characters would suddenly change their speech to make it simpler for the players.
Xerah wrote:
A few days doesn't mean the same thing to everyone so it will get confusing. So, that is the very opposite of keeping it simple.
You're speaking on behalf of your character, I don't see how this is confusing. Your character says: "It happened a triday/threeday ago" you assume it happened a RL day ago. Another character says to your character: "Three days ago?" now you're confused? The difference to me is that one rolls off the tongue and the other sounds forced.

Draco Deleteur

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:59 pm

Security_Blanket wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:49 pm
Xerah wrote:
So is there an IC reasoning for why all the people on the island no longer refer to a week and only a day? Just trying to learn why our characters would suddenly change their speech to make it simpler for the players.
It really doesn't matter. I can't stress that enough. It just doesn't matter.

It's it also weird that a character disappears for like 7 days at a time? We don't talk about that either. There are so many things that aren't talked about. Who cares that now the word is different? Since time slowed down, there is more reason to use this word that was never used before. Are you also going to talk about the time slowing down?

Anyone with this sort of unnecessary hang on to IC like this needs to figure out why they need to be this level of pedantic. There is no need of it. Saying threeday (or whatever) is a means to allow others to understand exactly what you're talking about.

Security_Blanket

Post by Security_Blanket » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:16 pm

Xerah wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:59 pm
Anyone with this sort of unnecessary hang on to IC like this needs to figure out why they need to be this level of pedantic. There is no need of it. Saying threeday (or whatever) is a means to allow others to understand exactly what you're talking about.
Xerah wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:59 pm
It really doesn't matter. I can't stress that enough. It just doesn't matter.
I am in complete agreement that it doesn't matter, so why are we talking about making up a new word in order to standardize speech? Not everyone is going to be on board with the change in terms. Folks that are just showing up or have been on hiatus for X months. Tenday comes from lore, not from Arelith, Triday/Threeday is an entirely Arelith creation, queue the confusion.

It's not a big deal which is why I suggest people just keep it simple and call a few days: "a few days" and just trust that the other person is clever enough to figure out what you meant by that.

Draco Deleteur

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:27 pm

A tricycle is something a toddler rides.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:57 pm

Ultimatly if this happens, it'll probably happen organically anyway. Sooner or later someone will use a phrase, and people will either like or won't, pick it up or not. And when people pick it up, it'll be shared around and, before you know it, whatever word it is = it'll find it's way into common usage. But it's often a little hard to predict what it'll be. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see!
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)