A Word on Acronyms

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Dr. B

A Word on Acronyms

Post by Dr. B » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:06 am

This will be a short post:

When new or inexperienced players ask for advice, especially build advice, I often see people giving answers like the following:
Try playing a 2H SB/DC.

FOIG. WYSIWYG. And remember WBTHTGA.

If you play a SS/ftr you can pick up EWS and EMA.

Just use FoM and NEP.

Take ESF: Div for the extended TS.
This is unhelpful, because new players have no idea what any of this means.

That is all.

Borin Drakkmurl

Re: A Word on Acronyms

Post by Borin Drakkmurl » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:17 am

...I've been playing here for ages and I understood less than half of that.
Past characters: Daedin Angthalion; Lurg Norgar; Urebriwyn; Ubaldo Ferraz; Erodash Uzdshak; Borin; Belchior Heliodoro; Orestes Fontebela

Dachlatte

Post by Dachlatte » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:59 am

Guys thats easy
2H SB/DC
It is a Double-Ham Super Burger/ with free DC mini-comic

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:39 pm

Hear hear

strong yeet

Post by strong yeet » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:12 pm

"What's FOM?"

"Freedom of Movement."

"Oh, ok!"

Subscribe for more easy interpersonal communication tips.

thimblegiant
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by thimblegiant » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:56 pm

strong yeet wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:12 pm
"What's FOM?"

"Freedom of Movement."

"Oh, ok!"

Hmm. Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Honestly scratching my head on NEP though. Finding nothing related to nwn, and the only gaming reference the internet coughs up is "Nice Euchre, Partner". Like anyone says that - pfft.

*edit - figured it out. Doh! Still wouldn't mind the newsletter though...

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:04 pm

strong yeet wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:12 pm
"What's FOM?"

"Freedom of Movement."

"Oh, ok!"

Someone who is completely new to this environment might not ask for clarification. There are a variety of reasons for that. They might get the impression that the people communicating with them don't want to be helpful and are trying to be hard to understand to discourage them from asking questions. They might be afraid of looking dumb. They might not realize that these are abbreviations for something and try to look them up. They might be non-native English speakers who actually took several minutes to write out their questions, and have difficulty asking a bunch of follow up questions. They might be kids or young teens who have the same issue. I see a lot of people (especially in the Discord) who are obviously ignorant of both the server and the base game ask questions, get responses that are overloaded with acronyms, then not ask follow ups. Bombarding people with this kind in-group lingo (the acronyms make people look knowledgeable and that's probably a reason why they are often used) is off-putting in many ways. So try to use your best judgment and if you want to help someone who obviously has no idea what they're doing, try to think about what they don't know and communicate your ideas accessibly.

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:24 pm

you can start doing this if you want

still gonna use acronyms
Intelligence is too important

strong yeet

Post by strong yeet » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:49 pm

Good lord, dude. Talk about mountains and molehills -- there's an awful lot of "mights" and "maybes" in there. Really, I think people use things like "NEP" and "FOM" because negative energy protection and freedom of movement are a lot of characters to type and it's much easier to use three than twenty four. Do you honestly believe things like "ROFL" came about because people wanted to look more knowledgeable?

Anyone sane is all for accessibility and a welcoming community when we're concerned with such a niche hobby as NWN (oops, an acronym) persistent worlds, but I really don't think this kind of thing is that much of a problem.

Though on this note, I do find "build talk," so to speak, seems to degrade with excessive frequency into a laughably pseudo-macho match of one dork's ego against another's. If you ask me, this is a far greater issue regarding accessibility than someone typing STR instead of strength. Take from that what you will.

Edited: for very bad language.
Last edited by strong yeet on Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:38 pm

To maybe try and turn this thread into something constructive:

Maybe a thread can be made and stickied to the build forum that simply lists all these acronyms and their meaning?

That might help both newbies understand, and veterans save keystrokes.

I certainly only recognize about half those acronyms and I'd find it useful if there was a centralized list.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Spriggan Bride

Post by Spriggan Bride » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:05 am

Do you understand what you're saying when you call someone a "limpwrist"? Please don't use terms like that? I want to give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not being as homophobic as you sound.

I think a thread defining acronyms would be a good idea, Maybe a wiki page too?

Anira

Post by Anira » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:32 am

I have to admit, I've been playing this game for 20 years and I still don't understand the mechanics.

Getting a paragraph full of acronyms really doesn't help me. I know they are easier to type and all, but if you don't have a clue what Negative Energy Protection does, then seeing NEP tells me nothing. I wish folks would take the time to just type it out for the clueless among us. I mean, if you're going looking for answers, the last thing you want to do is ask a zillion more questions and look like a complete and utter idiot.

Royal Blood

Post by Royal Blood » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:53 am

I think the OP is pretty reasonable. The amount of 'edgy posting' has me scratching my head. It just goes to show you can be outraged by anything. Like even I've been playing for awhile but figuring out what the acronyms in build sheets can be difficult.

All the OP is asking is that people consider that when giving advice, explain or do not use acronyms.
As some users pointed out the acronyms save time but have you really saved any time if the person reading has no idea what you said?

If the forums really want something to fight about I'm starting a thread about Wharftown and also lights keep.. (This is sarcasm))
I am not on a team.
I do not win, I do not lose.
I tell a story, and when I'm lucky,
Play a part in the story you tell too.

DM Rex

Post by DM Rex » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:28 am

There is validity in the concern that someone might not understand your shorthand. It does happen.
Perhaps going forward we can either initially strive to put in our first post "DW (Death Ward)" and have that as a reference as an example. Ultimately there's no harm in getting clarification.

Please be respectful.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:40 am

IDK TBCH N IDGAF B TY 4 P OKTTYL TY BB

Maybe a reference list. I've been playing since there's been a game to play and I still don't know some of the short-hand for a lot of stuff.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:04 am

I think that finding out what FoM and NEP is as a new player is highly recommended considering that lacking either will, most of the time, be what kills you in PvP.

That said, the context of the post seems to be missing.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:29 am

I'll admit I'm guilty of this. Will start to be more aware. Couple of things:

A forum post is a great idea. Also. Wiki page to be honest. New players really do read the wiki.

Context matters. If your talking to people you know, abbreviate. If it is new players, spell it out. I don't text acronyms to my grandma because I know she won't understand.

Finally acronyms develop and change as the community changes. You may be in the know now but may be the confused one later. (DD or EKD or ED anyone? All ways I have seen Earthling Defender written.) Always best to be respectful.

mjones3

Post by mjones3 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:52 am

I put what came to mind quickly in the new player guide. Hit me up with more here on on the wiki part of the discord and I'll add more in. I'll give you some of my Hoodoo coins if you put them in alphabetical order for me.

http://wiki.nwnarelith.com/New_player_g ... d_Acronyms

Security_Blanket

Post by Security_Blanket » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:15 am

Just ask when you don't know, repeat each acronym followed by a question mark, it's not hard. I understand it can seem annoying when you're a new player, but at the same time, this game is 20 years old. I understood all of that because I've been playing that long, it just comes with exposure. I'm fully aware that most people won't understand what I mean when I say "II", veteran players will know what it means but many others don't but I'll throw a bone and use the longer short form of "imp invis". As you play and even just work them out for yourself it will get easier. You'll still run into confusion sometimes as to whether "ESF" means "Epic Skill Focus" or "Epic Spell Focus".

Draco Deleteur
Dreadlord Lucius Blackhand - "All is as Bane wills it."

CNS

Post by CNS » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:50 pm

CL.

Oh Character level?

No CL

Caster level?

No CL

Class level?

NO CL!!!!

What do you mean?

CL for dispells

Ahh Effective creator level

Yes! Finally.

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:17 pm

Listen, I'm not saying you can never use acronyms. I use acronyms. I'm just saying use your best judgment and avoid using them in situations where they're clearly unhelpful for the person you're speaking to.

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:59 pm

mjones3 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:52 am
I put what came to mind quickly in the new player guide. Hit me up with more here on on the wiki part of the discord and I'll add more in. I'll give you some of my Hoodoo coins if you put them in alphabetical order for me.

FOIG
WYSIWYG

Itikar

Post by Itikar » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:10 pm

mjones3 wrote:

FoM has been mistakently attached at the end of the EWS line, instead of being on its own line.

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:12 pm

From to OP I bolded some to add, the ones I didn't understand, so hopefully someone can chime in on what they mean too.
Try playing a 2H SB/DC.

FOIG. WYSIWYG. And remember WBTHTGA.
On the wiki FoM needs to be formatted to its own line and freedom is misspelled.

Also,
mjones3 wrote:

Thank you for doing this.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Tikin

Post by Tikin » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:42 am

EDR Epic Damage Reduction (feat)

WYSWYG What You See is What You Get

FOIG Find Out In Game

SD Shadow Dancer (class)

AA Arcane Archer (class)

TF True Flame (class)

LM Lore Master (class)

CoT Champion of Torm (=vanilla name of Arelith's DC Divine Champion) (class)

DC Divine Champion (class)

IB Invisible Blade (class)

FS Favored Soul (class)

PM Pale Master (class)

BG Black Guard (class)

SB SwashBuckler (class)

WM Weapon Master (class)

CD Cool Down

WoF Word of Faith (spell)

MoD Mark of Destiny / Mark of Despair (xp factor)

I am sure I missed a lot but this was just going throught Char build section of Arelith official discord over few days.
Really good idea this list to help newcomers :-)
I added in parenthesis a short indication of what it is, just an idea to help further.

Thanks a lot for your work on the WIKI (What I Know Is xD) :kiss: