More Patience Needed

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Babylon System is the Vampire

Re: More Patience Needed

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:36 pm

Good OP. People need to realize they can disagree with each other without being arch enemies. Unfortunately the trend toward the opposite is a social issue that is waaay bigger then Arelith. The one aspect you left out of your post however is the tendency for people to dismiss otherwise valid opinions because they think the person is only against them for the sake of being against them. This has happened to me twice now in my time as part of the community, where someone I liked and respected was like "You just hate me" when I had a strong opposing opinion. I'm not going to say that there are no crazy people running around Arelith holding grudges from one character to the next, but to assume that is default is its own level of crazy in itself. I personally rarely look at the author even if I am quoting their forum post and sure as shit don't think about any particular player beyond my ic interaction with them :)

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:12 pm

I totally agree and would even stress the importance of separating the player from the character. Just because you were enemies with this player's PC alt last week doesn't mean the current PC they are playing is the same. I feel we as players get a reputation that follows us from PC to PC. Which can be good yes, but as with any rumor just as bad. "Oh I know that player they are great!" Or "oh that player kill bashed my last toon with a gank squad. Best not to interact with them on this one". Etc.

Food for thought at least.

Rasha
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Rasha » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:12 pm

It would be amazing if player names were not displayed. Removing that level of meta entirely would be fantastic.
-=- Somebody that You used to Know -=-

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:37 pm

Rasha wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:12 pm
It would be amazing if player names were not displayed. Removing that level of meta entirely would be fantastic.
You can now change it in the options menu so you don’t even have to dig through files anymore. I never bothered changing mine until that came around. Additionally, there is a -command that removes your name from the web portal. I think it’s -disaportal but might be wrong on the spelling.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

Shrouded Wanderer

Post by Shrouded Wanderer » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:20 pm

garrbear758 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:37 pm
Rasha wrote:
You can now change it in the options menu so you don’t even have to dig through files anymore. I never bothered changing mine until that came around. Additionally, there is a -command that removes your name from the web portal. I think it’s -disaportal but might be wrong on the spelling.
Not to derail but
Ive always been in support of using the disguise system code to make everyones names a random acumen or code based on their class, then if that player speaks their name infront of the PC their name is then revealed.

So basically the blue names would all be "Adventurer" or "Mage" or "Warrior"

Then if adventurer walks up to you and says "hi my name is Cranjis Mcbasketball" the name would reveal for the player and anyone within earshot as well.

Obviously only if the name said is the correct name of course. Not allowing people to spell a random name and have that work if you catch my drift

But i heard that might require a ton of data space.

Rasha

Post by Rasha » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:37 pm

garrbear758 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:37 pm
Rasha wrote:
Now if we could just get EVERYONE to use the command... 👍
-=- Somebody that You used to Know -=-