Spellbook Wishlists - What Would be Fun?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Spellbook Wishlists - What Would be Fun?

Post by Kuma » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:20 am

xanrael wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:51 am
Kuma wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:36 pm
edit: i want stone to flesh to work on any stone
That's a very disgusting way to create shortcuts in a dungeon.
then you can cast animate dead on the resulting quivering mass of wallmeat!

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:26 am

hellball as a cantrip

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:50 am

I would really love short-distance teleport spells, like Dimension Door.

Another one would be Leomund's Tiny Hut for a temporary cozy home. This one would be much harder to pull off, I imagine.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:51 am

Also: Animate Objects.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:06 pm

A spell that grants (and improves existing) sneak attack dice.

It would be too much fun playing some kind of spellsneak.

Nobs

Post by Nobs » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:32 am

Mislead
Force wall
Short range teleport
Alarm
Enlarge and Reduce person
Ridecuul - you curse some one to grow a big nose , ears and lips for a hour

magistrasa

Post by magistrasa » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:54 pm

Oh man, I just thought of a fantastic way to implement the cantrip Message. After targeting someone within range with the spell, have it open up a little text dialogue prompt like you get with the speedy messengers, and whatever you say either in whisper or as a tell to yourself gets transmitted to the target via combat log text block or a dialogue prompt of their own. It could even have a super strict character limit, like with Drow Sign Language. It'd be obvious the spell was being cast to anyone in the vicinity, so it's not terribly secretive and could be called out by anyone watching, but it still enables somewhat private conversations at a distance in a group setting, which could lead to some interesting dynamics.

× Career Sharran × MILF Supreme × Artist (Allegedly) ×
Will Trade Art For Groceries Again Eventually

Ninjimmy

Post by Ninjimmy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:39 am

I'd dig an Alter Self spell that works like Polymorph self but instead of turning you into a monster, it changes you into a generic human/elf/dwarf/hin model for a set duration. Just cos it'd be fun cos you can blend in for a bit but eventually people IC will realise the spell only turns you into a SPECIFIC human/elf/dwarf/hin model so it won't be an unbeatable disguise.
Playing:
Olwin (AKA Olicoros Vrozt Akael Shilligg Jugem Dojj Winzalfur AKA That £$%^ing Wizard)

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:03 pm

Phantom Steed, summonable horse with ghostly visage vfx effect.

Technically you could just cast it on yourself and mount the horse if you want both of you to look like that.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:02 am

Munchkin's Transformation

Spell level: sorcerer/wizard 9
Innate level: 9
School: transmutation
Components: verbal, somatic
Range: personal
Area of effect: caster
Duration: 1 round / level
Save: harmless
Spell resistance: no

Description: The caster becomes an engine of destruction, for the spell's duration their build changes into one of the vetted builds from the curated character builds table, along with recommended gear and everything.

Various builds can be obtained IG and selected as a -stream

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:40 pm

Dalenger wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:44 pm
Mass restorations, going all the way from lesser to greater restoration. Greater & mass zoo spells. A haste-analog that doesn't provide the mechanical benefits (APR, AC, etc), but grants an increased move speed and lasts longer (maybe 3 rounds/level or something).
I love these suggestions.

I would in general really like to see QoL stuff that saves time on buffing and sprinting alone on the server - like the very things suggested above, especially the mass zoo buffs and haste-like spell that just gives (could be limited to out-of-combat) movement for really long time.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Basementfellow

Post by Basementfellow » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:21 pm

Something I've missed sorely from Ravenloft is the capability to cast self-target spells such as Shield and Ghostly Visage on other creatures. That, and as other people mentioned, the Mass variations of many minor buffs.

Scylon

Post by Scylon » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:23 am

1) Expansion of Epic Dragon Knight into Epic summoning. Creatures would be more or less the same power, however it wouldn't just summon dragons, it could summon all manor of epic creatures.

2) Recall - 7th level spell that can return a caster to a previously saved location. Only one location can be saved at a time.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:25 am

Wall of force - It's just an indestructible (mostly) wall. It's a shapeable indestructible wall. It's a lot more flexible than it's given credit for. (Ba-dum-tish)

Forcecage - The ultimate no-save time out for anything that isn't throwing disintegrations and disjunctions at you. The caged bar version also works on yourself as an impromptu safe zone from which you can fling spells.

Master Air - This spell allows the creature to fly as though it had wings, and also to breathe air if it can't already do so. Pair it with polymorph or wildshape (shape: giant squid) to create a flying, air-breathing squid overlord with 12 tentacle attacks and 12 free grapple attempts/round. (Who said casters were bad wrestlers?)

Mage's(Elminster's) Evasion - The 9th level, cracked out version of contingency, with multiple triggers.

Discern Location - Always be able to find your phone.

Shapechange; Unlocked Variant - If you've killed it, you can turn into it. Alternatively, knowledge/lore checks based on CR, choose from any creature in the module you meet the DC and CLvl for.

Resilient Sphere - Forcecage's little brother, has a reflex save. Better used to make your party members into bubble children that can't be harmed by anything while the spell lasts, be it incoming artillery, lava erupting from a volcano, or a mountain collapsing on you. Note that if you're in a hurry, you still want the forcecage- it can cover the party in one cast.

Commune - Summon a DM to answer on behalf of your god; mostly for the masochistic looking to make their lives harder, but still entertaining.

Righteous Might- Increases the cleric's size and gives a size bonus to strength, which stacks with the enhancement bonus from divine power. Battle clerics were meant to cast *both* of these before wading in.

Command, and Greater Command - These spells are much more useful than their limited options might imply, especially if your DM lets you get creative and use other single word commands - for example, surrender, or, my personal favorite, if you happen to be on a ship- mutiny.

Antilife shell - You have a pulse? Stay ten feet away, no save.

Antimagic Field - Because sometimes the best spell you can cast is the one that takes away all the magic and simply lets your party tank pummel the enemy.

Floating Disk - Carry my loot? Amateurs. Also functions as a levitating platform in emergencies.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Gaal

Post by Gaal » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:51 pm

I would like Climb or Fly spell... Then I wouldn't need to train up on climb skill.

Perem, El Grotto de Gnome

Airport Proximity Jesus

Post by Airport Proximity Jesus » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:46 pm

I'm partial to summon 9's ability to summon a quetzalcoatl in 3.0

I don't even remember if it was good, it was just the first time I'd seen one and I thought they were the coolest things in the world
8-) Cool kids wear shades during the endless night 8-)

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:20 pm

Climb/Fly so that I don't have to waste points on climb on non-mundane characters.

magistrasa

Post by magistrasa » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:21 pm

Being able to polymorph creatures other than yourself would be phenomenal. And, more polymorph options in general! I feel like the list of options is so limited.

Glowing Mushroom
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Glowing Mushroom » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:58 pm

I don't know if it's lore but more elemental versions of Fire Storm would be great. Ice Storm that's blue for Ice/Divine, Acid Storm that's green for Acid/Divine, etc.
Burin the Earthly.

Curve

Post by Curve » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:30 pm

Prestidigitation/Mage Hand
Spell level: All 0
School: illusion
Components: verbal, somatic
Area of effect: varies
Duration: varies
Save: harmless
Spell resistance: no

Description: Prestidigitations are minor tricks that novice spellcasters use for practice. Once cast, a prestidigitation spell enables you to perform simple magical effects for 1 hour. The effects are minor and have severe limitations.

Like Shadow Conjuration the spell should allow several options:

-Mage Hand, Exchange (Opens a trade window with character from a small distance.)

-Mage Hand, Door (Opens/Closes door from distance)

-Prestidigitation, Minor Effect (Creates a small magical VFX similar to what is available in the DM Client, allowing characters to fill in the blank with their own emote.)

-Prestidigitation, Miracle (Turns one junk items into a ration or one water into wine/wine into water)

-Prestidigitation, Create (Creates small junk item and opens a dialog box that allows it to be described, the item lasts only one game hour and then is destroyed. )

Karris the Anarchist
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Karris the Anarchist » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:50 am

Like others above and a bit more. Some are realistic, others, not so much! But all good fun and wizardly.

- Create Food & Water. Forgot food in the desert? No problem.

- Prestidigitation. Curve's Suggestion above is amazing!

- Mordekainen's Magnificient Mansion. Transport to demi-plane restable mansion. Could also be used for RP props.

- Greater Malison. Enchantment spell, lowers saves by 4 for rounds / level. Of BG2 fame.

- Spider Climb. Bonus to climb as a mage alternative to 'climbing rope'. The RP sorrounding this have always been hilarious in PnP. "Yeah, while you fight this horde of orcs wearing battleaxes, I am going to go stand on the ceiling and cast my spells from here."

- Nondetection. We have this as FOIG to an extent, a proper spell would be cooler.

- Misty Step. In PnP, this is a level 2 short-range teleport that is castable in a bonus action. Not certain how it would play in with both the action economy and the fact that Arelith is built without short-range teleport possibilities in mind. As an alternative,

- Dimension Door!

- Levitation. Allows the caster to not set off traps for a duration.

- Gaseous Form. Turns the caster into a fart.

- Arcane Eye. 4th level spell, summons an invisible eye that can be controlled like a familiar.

- Longstrider. Increases movement speed slightly on a long duration. Should not stack with haste.

- Enlarge/Reduce. Can be used to buff allies or turns foes smaller. If it would pitch up their voicesets too, that would be hilarious.

- Contingency. Allows you to pre-cast certain spells kicking off with certain conditions, like reaching a certain health level or losing a certain buff.

- Clone. Create a backup of yourself in your own quarter / tower of doom. Allows you to skip the death penalities once.
That which doesn't kill you, simply makes you... stranger.

ElvenEdibles

Post by ElvenEdibles » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:36 pm

I personally think Glitterdust would be fun!

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:01 pm

Would love to see more cleric spells. Very limited selection currently and nearly all of the DC based ones are evocation only.

magistrasa

Post by magistrasa » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:59 pm

Hear me out, guys: Nystul's Magic Aura.

Lets you set your divination aura, misleads a paladin's Detect Evil ability, and thwarts all attempts at scrying. We could finally get rid of the dumb FOIG spell that doesn't make any sense to block scry!

Dubhwulfe
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Dubhwulfe » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:51 pm

I played on a server that turned "Shelgarn's Persistent Blade" into "Animate Weapon" and it was pretty damn glorious.