VFX Spam

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Dreams

VFX Spam

Post by Dreams » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:17 pm

Please do not spam VFX heavy spells in new areas or heavily traveled areas.

Cordor and Guldorand are very difficult to load for some people, and when every single fixture, shop sign, and horse are covered in protection from elements and an array of other effects, it makes it very difficult to load the areas or move through without crashing.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Re: VFX Spam

Post by Dalenger » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:32 pm

Dreams wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:17 pm
Please do not spam VFX heavy spells in new areas or heavily traveled areas.

Cordor and Guldorand are very difficult to load for some people, and when every single fixture, shop sign, and horse are covered in protection from elements and an array of other effects, it makes it very difficult to load the areas or move through without crashing.
This. I make it a point to dispel any vfx I see on temp shops and the like. Whenever I organize large events, especially in small rooms, I have to remind people that we don't need every conceivable ward running on every person in the room (even if it does occasionally result in black archers getting the jump on temple events).

I understand that giving wards vfx is an important balance to warn people that someone is buffed to high heaven, but I really wish there were less obnoxious and resource-intensive ways to accomplish this.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:35 am

It sounds like Prot from Elements is more or less the issue, as it has been in the past. It wasn't that long ago that the VFX of the spell was removed from characters but still remains on objects and minions.

Maybe it's possible to expand the removal of its VFX from objects and minions too? Problem solved...ish?

Other than that maybe there's a mod or override out there that straight up removes the VFX player side? That could lead to a lot of issues for the player, such as role-playing things that might not exist for you but exist for everyone else, but if your PC/Laptop is struggling/crashing then maybe it's a possible temporary solution.

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nw ... rkskin-etc

I used to use that to remove Stoneskin but eventually removed it due to the issue I mentioned above, but it might help.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

magistrasa

Post by magistrasa » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:51 am

I hope VFX aren't removed from summons. It's really useful to see what buffs need to be refreshed. I also might be in the minority here but i actually like stuff like PFE on fixtures and such. Maybe that's just a luxury I enjoy by virtue of having a decent PC though.

× Career Sharran × MILF Supreme × Artist (Allegedly) ×
Will Trade Art For Groceries Again Eventually

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:24 am

The only spells I really think are appropriate to use on signage is light/continual flame.
Is there a way we can colour those? They don't seem to cause any lag, for me, at least.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:08 am

Hazard wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:24 am
The only spells I really think are appropriate to use on signage is light/continual flame.
Is there a way we can colour those? They don't seem to cause any lag, for me, at least.
There's currently no way to color them, but I would love if we could change the color with a -light blue (for example) console command.
The PnP version of the spell does, after all, allow the caster to choose the color of the light, so it would be a D&D lore friendly change.

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:22 pm

Let’s not get off topic here, VFX spam is as thoroughly damaging to society as a vampire let loose in the streets.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:43 pm

Not looking forward to the coming ioun stone spam. I don't need to know you have +2 intelligence right now and honestly it is a bit metagamey given certain classes will be partial to certain stats