Why Do You Play Evil? Open Question.

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Dalek Caan
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Why Do You Play Evil? Open Question.

Post by Dalek Caan » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:11 pm

tidal wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:20 am
the Abyss made me. :twisted:
Same.

I haven't steadily played evil in a really long time, but enjoy my occasional stints into it every now and then. I used to play evil characters almost exclusively when I started though and easily 5 to 7 years after that.

I always found it somewhat challenging to play an evil char that is absolutely watertight. Until I noticed that I don't have to. It's just a different style of evil. So there are many facets and "philosophical" questions one can explore. Pretty cool if you're ambitious with your rp!

But since I am now mostly a filthy casual, I try to flesh out details about characters, which are generally somewhere on the Neutral spectrum.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:34 pm

I just don't understand the appeal of helping fictional old ladies cross the street or giving gold to a non-existent charity. I think when a lot of people play a game their first reaction is "LOL WHAT IF I JUST KILLED EVERYONE?!"... Think about the last time you played Grand Theft Auto with some friends.

Of course this isn't GTA and there are rules, but being a villain allows you to be an edgelord and do vile and darkly comical things. In a sense villains are the primary content creators, as good players and civilized society are forced to react to the depredations of evil schemers and lunatics. When I'm playing evil I feel like I can help advance the plot rather than just react to it.

I've tried playing good and neutral characters but I can't enjoy myself if I'm not going hog wild.

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:07 pm

I play evil sparingly, when a concept or story I've got requires it. That's about it. Good's a lot harder to play and play in an interesting fashion, though, and that makes it typically more interesting for me.
what would fred rogers do?

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:54 pm

im good irl
Intelligence is too important

Watchful Glare

Post by Watchful Glare » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:26 pm

Playing evil gives you a variety of tools, however, as Irongron and Dawn mentioned, this can be challenging in being mean sometimes. Not just towards characters in general or the characters of players that are particularly nice, but when I feel that someone is not really playing a character entirely but also partially allowing themselves to blend in. So I get this feeling sometimes that if my character is mean, they won't think "Oh this character is a d#ck", but rather "Oh, this player is a d#ck" and fume about it and have a bad time. I do not particularly enjoy giving players a hard time OOC or making them have a bad time, but there are moments where there is no IC way of justifying not doing the evil selfish thing without bending your characters motivations and ways in a hard way.

Arelith's death system is hyper forgiving and I've always said that OOCly there's no consequence to it, which is both something good and something bad, it has its pros and cons. So you know that for instance if your character kills another they're not being perma-deleted from the server and you watch them get Thanos snapped and you tilt the other player into oblivion. They just get a time out for a little bit with some debuffs. But then, why is it sometimes hard to do it and inconvenience the other player temporarily, for me? It happens to me when dealing with low levels, when I want for them to find ways to walk of it alive and they're just not cooperating, or with characters that try to attack mine or meet my evil character in an unexpected way and I feel like it's not really their "fault". It's not that they, purposedly, came looking for a fight and insulted my character and really bought into the whole affair. They were just at the wrong place at the wrong time, chose the wrong thing.

I remember once for instance my character captured someone from the surface; I enjoy long'ish emotes so we were taking our time emoting while we walked down the caves system when we ran into someone, that clearly saw that ICly the other person was being captured. It was no casual stroll. My character told them to go away, theirs started to stall for time uncomfortable with what he was seeing, the warning was repeated and they, I assume, just couldn't find it in their character to turn a blind eye to it, so they ignored the second warning. There was a third one, an ultimatum, and then it came to blows. They died. Accidentally too, because I tried to toggle subdual but it turned out I had already toggled it on, so I just deactivated it. They were lower level, too so it was very one sided.

It happened again two minutes later, we were still going down, had transitioned servers and a surface elven archer came running down full tilt, past the transition and started warding up, and as I started to try and emote they attacked my animal companion and we traded blows when I managed to find them in the player's list to turn them to hostile, they too were killed. I don't PvP often. I didn't even manage to toggle subdual in time.

I think at that moment, after my character kills them, about how they might feel about it. In both instances I reached out to them in tells, to let them know it's not a targeted hate or anything. In both cases I have offered to raise them, a lense, or to give them RP in the Underdark because I feel it would be more conductive to RP than just getting killed for being a hero in some musky cave. Gives them a chance to escape, to have some more character development. But it has also been in general because I feel sometimes there's not much difference between characters and players for some people, and I dislike the idea of giving someone a really bad time OOC and the idea of there being no difference makes me uncomfortable. That it can be perceived not as your character being mean to theirs, but as you being mean to them, as a player. Maybe because I am still of the mindset that character death is a very high consequence thing.

It doesn't sound like a pleasant experience to deal with.

Being mean in general, can be challenging. Being unwelcomingly mean, as an unexpected factor, more so.

I can only imagine it gets easier as you do it more and get more comfortable with it.

I have only played one good character, a Paladin, and I found it very limiting and very challenging. Specially trying to play a Paladin that is not a smite crazed murderhobo with a pass, but someone that philosophically believes in his cause, and has managed to convince "villains" to change their ways and do good. Redemption arcs of sorts. Someone to whom violence is a last resort. Selfless, dedicated. Aiming to be a good person, but with heavy personal flaws to give contrast. And it's very challenging, and taxing. Very rewading too, but it comes with it's own set of limitations and expectations.

For them to have something to do other than charities and helping people kill a badger on the road, you need for evil peeps to do something that challenges or affects the status quo. You react to that. Unless the setting is inherently a dark and bad place, more often than not unless some set of circumstances are met you can feel like an agent of the status quo more than a champion of good.

Evil is not so limited in it's scope. As many have stated, if your character is evil and does a good deed they've not stopped being evil, many will see to that and point it as an oddity, some false attempt to gain sympathy, they will word it however they want. However your character would still be perceived as evil. If your baby eating demon worshipping Ogre o'Brien saves an Orphanage full of starving kids he's still evil, even if he did a good thing. Guards would still kill him on sight. And you can get away with it if it's justified.

You have less creative limits on an evil characters since there are less moral or narrative restraints on him, only the ones you make for it; while good characters have to conform to and uphold a certain kind of standards at all times or they're no longer considered "good" by the status quo. Playing an Evil character you have more tools to be proactive rather than reactive as many have aptly put. And you have a wide array of narrative possibilities to choose from, all up to and including, ironically, a character that does good things for the wrong reasons if you felt like it.
Biz here was a constant subliminal hum, and death the accepted punishment for laziness, carelessness, lack of grace, the failure to heed the demands of an intricate protocol.

In Sorrow We Trust
Contributor
Contributor

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:11 pm

I get bored playing anything else. I'm a career evil/villain player. It's what I enjoy doing.

Vittoria Veleno
catch me if you can

Dari

Post by Dari » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:38 pm

Best way to play evil?

-notells
-ExitDiscord
-Follow the rules with PVP and other related things that evil characters do
Henry Crowe - Dead

benedict overencumberbatch

Post by benedict overencumberbatch » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:50 pm

Dari wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:38 pm
Best way to play evil?

-notells
-ExitDiscord
-Follow the rules with PVP and other related things that evil characters do
I respectfully disagree with those first two points. Some of the best interactions I've had while playing an evil character have come from reaching out some OOC feelers to see who is willing to do a scene, or who wants a bad guy to bully for a bit, or even just to ensure everyone's having a good time during an evil plotline. That's not to say these things can't happen organically, of course, as I've had my fair share of that as well - but sometimes putting multiple heads together from either side of the conflict to brainstorm a cohesive narrative that's interesting for everyone is a lot of fun.

As to the original question this forum poses, I dunno lol. I have almost consistently played good characters for most of my time on Arelith, the farthest deviation from that usually being a neutral character with some morally grey areas, or a character that does good things for selfish reasons. All fun to play in their own rights, but until a year or so ago I never really took the deep dive into truly evil antagonist territory. It's been a lot of fun, thanks in large part to the brilliant players and their amazing characters that I've met along the way that have been willing to give my evil PC a chance to shine, rather than snuffing them out at the first sign of nonconformity. Also, the challenge of playing an evil PC that was (originally) pretending to be good aligned was a fascinating test of my ability to roleplay, and one of the more enjoyable parts of my evil character's lifespan.

Playing evil can be exhausting at times, but what keeps me going is the knowledge that, sometimes, my being an antagonist is helping others tell these amazing stories, and really just trying to make my PC a springboard for other characters to launch off of.

godhand-
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by godhand- » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:31 pm

Available time.

When i have the time to invest in a longer term character, i prefer playing good.

But the reality for me is that i don't get alot of time to play, and i find as an evil i can have a more of a memorable interactions dropping in here and there than i can as a good character.
eg: Being a pirate and doing pirate stuff doesn't need to be a big long plot line for other (non evil) people, it can be a small yet powerful scene when you board boats etc.

cliffs: Its easier to be evil when you don't get much time to play.
Cortex wrote: Addendum, the immediate above post by godhand is wrong in about every aspect, as were most of his other posts.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:54 am

I like to explore my evil characters' psyche and ask why. Why are they this way, how did they get to be this way? Like mentioned previously here, there are so many philosophies of evil.

You could play the most mannered and polite character who is also evil.
You can also play a completely loyal but evil character. They will backstab you every chance they get, unless you're considered a friend to them. Then they will fight to the ends of the world for you, as if you were family by blood.
There are so many ways to do evil. There are also so many ways to do Chaotic Evil, despite it being the most self-sabotaging alignment of the three evils.

Evil does take work, more so than neutral (but not necessarily more than good). But it's also often very rewarding, as you get the partake in a grand story.
Last edited by MissEvelyn on Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:27 am

I feel like the good alignment is very much centered around institution and tradition. Evil characters get to create their own morality in the Nietzschean sense.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

Anomandaris

Post by Anomandaris » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:27 pm

It’s way more fun imo. It’s also necessary to make the environment interesting. Good guys need villains and villains need good guys. But I’d play on a all evil server not an all good server. This server would be way less fun without villains.

It’s also very freeing. Playing a LG pally now and when someone asks for help I help them pretty much no matter what. Before my pc may have laughed at them and maybe found a way to exploit them before going to do what they were gonna do anyway. I’m a good, law abiding person in RL so it’s fun to rp something different.

I’ll say the server is tough to play evil on a certain level because there’s a a lot of “look, evil, smite it!!” that happens. To be “successful” as an evil PC you often have to mean, ruthless, violent IC. This can be tough when you don’t wana be a jerk and especially because people take it personally ooc or just take it hard in general sometimes. Eventually whole multiple factions make it their mission to root you out and stop you. I enjoy the challenge however. My only gripe is ppl need to remember that it’s kind of the villains job to be evil and sometimes also antagonistic. As an evil player you should be respectful and want it to create fun and rp, but the PC can be dark, cruel and vicious.

I’m having fun playing a paladin but I’ll prob go back to evil after. I also find evil is ironically more inclusive rp wise. I feel evil is more often ready to lend a hand to do something nefarious whereas good is often more folks trying to be “the hero” and argue jurisdictional authority over a plot line (like those scenes where the FBI takes the case from local PD).

Aniel
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Aniel » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:17 am

I've played almost exclusively evil PCs with a few splashes of Good here and there. Neutral is probably my least played alignment.

Evil is enjoyable for me because it's the most applicable to the type of RP that I like to pursue. I enjoy high conflict, characters being at each other's throats, be it socially or literally.

My Good PCs ended up being very high conflict in that they held extremist positions. Lishan for instance was very quick to get stabby if someone did anything evil. Apathy? A funny way to say sympathy for evil.

Evil however I find it's easier to do tons of conflict with. On my Good character I needed to figure out reasons to not like people, "you're friends with X who ANIMATES, renounce this path." As opposed to how easy it can be for proactively evil characters with dark mantras or religious fervor that to find themselves opposing others.

And, personally, I find it a little bit easier to come up with character goals when it comes to evil. They're usually after something with an end goal in sight. For Lora Gallenson this was spreading chaos, so she had a strong reason to go hangout with certain people and learn about them. She wanted to be people's friend so she could make things complicated. With Good characters I generally find myself having to be reactionary outside of concepts such as Lishan who was constantly trying to sus out who was morally impure. Of course this isn't just an alignment issue necessarily and depends very heavily on the character themselves, but most character concepts I land on that are proactive tend to be evil.

Small edit: I rambled a lot and didn't actually answer the question, woops. I never make a character with the idea of being a villain. I just make characters I find interesting that I think I'll have an easy time being proactive on and doing things with. Sometimes they become villains and that's cool, but for the most part they're just people with questionable ideas pursuing their own wants and desires.

TLDR:
Evil is a tad bit easier than other alignments to find conflict with and be proactive in general.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:27 am

Has anyone encountered Willham Pigsbane?

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:27 pm

Why? Monsters are Evil.

That is the why.
Now the reason i play evil monsters rather than humans is because if your playing a human and your aping monstrous behavior your just a sick puppy. Where as as a monster your just a stand up member of your social structure, not judged or constrained by the morals of non monsters.

I very rarely play evil humans or other races because anyone you end up having to ally with are always warlocks and necromancers making 90% of the server hostile to you by default, or you ally with good types and don't really do anything "evil", or if your really lucky find a neutral bunch and join them while suppressing the more extreme nature of your vile ways.
Much easier to play a monster that is surrounded by other monsters, then you can be as monstrous as you like while having fun with others.

When not playing a a monster i tend to play neutral or good characters.

Shrouded Wanderer

Post by Shrouded Wanderer » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:27 am

Its pretty funny, Ive been reading this thread and there is a ton of truth, in part, being told by everyone here.

The funny thing is, that yes, being evil comes with a ton of downsides, but there are the benefits of it which make it endlessly enjoyable.

You get to be edgy
you get to break the rules (Of society not the server dangit)
you get to manipulate the feelings of others
It is absolutely fun
It can also be absolutely unfun

Ultimately, I almost exclusively play evil, and I do so for a number of different reasons. One of my first characters was meant to be more of a "Emperor Palpatine" Type - Bisik Willows, Who the goal was to create an Unabashedly evil guy that just enjoyed being evil and doing bad things for the enjoyment. And It was FUN with a capital F. Chieftly because of many people who were good sports about it, But inherantly because I had cracked a bit of a code when it came to largescale conflicts in some areas that were fun for a majority of players. That being said there will always be people that you unintentionally ruin their day playing a character like that, but I think proper communication OOC can fix a lot of this.

Primarily, I used that character to say "Hey im going to do these things, Dont try and stop me" Because of the stakes, and those stakes generally was "Hey Im going to enjoy this party with my undead here beside me, IF you try and stop me I wont just kill you, but I will make sure there is collateral damage"

Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didnt. But eventually, that sort of thing doesnt quite do it for people, and dimensions eventually come out.

More recently, Ive been playing another Human Baddie, But I went in with the distinct idea that this was a guy who logically thought out what he was doing, how he was doing it, and when to do it. His whole premise was to figure out someone and challenge their ideas and break them down, to be evil on a more psychological level, to demolish ideas.

I think, personally, its incredibly fun. I find the greatest villains are the ones that challenge the ideals of a character, and force them to look at their motives. This new character, Adenious, was never about combat, though he was always ready for it. Its about forcing the 'hero' to think, "am i really doing the right thing here"

This whole idea of getting the Banites to become productive members of society, to challenge the status quo and confuse the public, the subversive nature of it, i feel doesnt just challenge the characters perceptions, but the players behind those characters as well, and I think so far its been very successful, considering the history there. Along with the incredibly fantastic faction behind the Banites right now who, if you havent RPed with them yet DO SO, are just absolutely incredible people and storytellers.

Ill close it off that I find one of the best aspects of being a bad guy is that you are ultimately there to raise the stakes and then Lose to someone that is worthy.

Something i try to tell everyone who is evil, is find a polar opposite of your character, Talk to them OOC, someone you LOVE the roleplay of, but your characters would never get along and would probably be violently hostile to each other. and craft a story!

To my previous Character, Bisik, I found that in the character Mach Fryar, Who was consistently someone who wanted to figure out why the bad guy was the way he is, and the incredible part was that they developed this sort of Frenemyship, as mach wasnt one to engage in violence as a first priority, and Bisik would not engage in violence unless he was engaged in a hostile manner or was disrespected.

It led to intense story battles, and eventually through many engagements, when the time came to roll the character, it didnt go out with a whimper, it climaxed in a big battle in the arcane tower, a duel of the fates as it were (que the music) and still I remember this over any other characters death as something that was just improvisational and epic, but also personal and meaningful.

the catharsis of that sort of story telling is why I play evil.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:34 pm

-To play evil-restricted builds.
-To explore the UD.
-To enjoy the chaos of summons, spells, and monster PCs.
-To play the evil sidekick as a comic relief.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS02GeKuWQ4 and of course, this song.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Lexx

Post by Lexx » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:13 am

Sometimes the character concept requires or calls for it that you're trying to make. People and their flaws regardless of alignment can make for interesting depth and development. It can be fun hamming it up as a cutout villain as much as a shades of grey / unscrupulous type to the brooding dark figure you can see lairing in some parts. Evil has a spread of different potential depending on your concept.

Cowbot

Post by Cowbot » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:26 am

Roleplaying is a cooperative endeavor and it is up to everyone to come together as a team to create cool stories and fun interactions.

Whenever I do anything in life, I always look to see what the situation requires, and then I choose the most arduous and disliked task for myself. I try to do the thing that needs to be done but that nobody wants to do.

So, in our big cooperative game here on Arelith, I feel evil tends to be the thing we all need but nobody wants to play. I understand why, too. Talk about an OOC drama magnet! Balancing being a good and spontaneous antagonist with ensuring the other players don't get an unfun/unhappy play experience takes feats of diplomacy found in few other forms of entertainment. Add to that the balance between too-scripted interactions with too-spontaneous and it's all just a recipe for disaster. How much do you discuss with your victim beforehand? What do you do to those poor characters who wander unknowingly into your event? Being evil comes with a lot of really hard questions, and it's easy to make mistakes.

OOC drama, loads of PvP, and the cherry on top is that you can't ever win! The world can't end and the admins don't want to let the server become grimdark, so compared to good there are even heavier restrictions on what evil can actually accomplish. Most of the time, you go in knowing you'll fail, and with the expectation your character will be deleted in 3-4 months.

But, as I have seen in so many kudos threads, without evil causing a stir the server would be so much less exciting. It really adds a lot to the experience on Arelith, and I'm grateful to those of you who include us evil players in your kudos. It's a job nobody wants, but everybody needs. That's why I play evil.

As a side-note, good doesn't have to just protect the status-quo. It's harder to play that angle, though, I agree. But, may I suggest to the other readers that there could be more conflict between law and chaos? Technically speaking, Lawful Good should come into conflict with Chaotic Good almost as much as they do with Lawful Evil. They're the same distance apart! Just an idea.

Airport Proximity Jesus

Post by Airport Proximity Jesus » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:09 pm

Oh, we're posting songs? I got songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWYCS6k1IOA

But gat dang, it is so easy when you're evil. But that's also part of the fun of playing good characters! Adhering to a personal code is fun. But sometimes its also fun to sleeve yourself into the mindspace of a dude who would react incredibly violently just because they can

Of course, it's all a lot more intricate than that, but thats what it essentially boils down to for me. Mood and what sounds fun, and more often than not, being a horrible necromancer who delights in the 'art' of fleshwarping is just too damn campy not to love
8-) Cool kids wear shades during the endless night 8-)

Haydeh

Post by Haydeh » Mon May 17, 2021 9:23 am

I am green-new not just to Arelith, but PW, MP... yet i have always had character with "personalities" and their own reasons for following a path e.g.

I am currently playing an Evil one, who is still "behaving marvellously", since it is in her best interest not to draw attention. But the reason I chose her alignment is due to her background: someone with Drow traits from her murdered mother. Not being full blooded Drow made her an outcast in every realm. So in part, she is *expected* to be evil based on prejudice, but a harsh existence on her own sharpened her bitterness towards many (underfolks and surfacers alike).

This is a character with disturbing childhood memories, as she witnessed he mother (a Drow Wizardess) slain by some "surfacer" nobleman. So she will seek her revenge, mingling (through disguising) with nobility and common folk alike, till finding who was responsible - OOC meaning applyiing for DM Assassin token and defining "more or less" whom to target. Hell, maybe simply a grudge over nobility, who knows (I have not 100% defined exactly how this will play out, as I do not know many characters of the game).

So being evil is necessary not only for access to Assassin feats, it is result of her experiences and a condition to accomplish her goals.

Senshi
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Senshi » Tue May 25, 2021 9:06 pm

Because i want to make a bigger impact on the greater story.
Current Characters: Velem'vor

I do YT stuff.. IndieSenshi

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Tue May 25, 2021 9:09 pm

Evil is flexible. You can be evil but pretend to be good, but hardly can you be good but pretend to be evil.

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Wed May 26, 2021 10:58 am

During the years, I've had several evil characters, in the UD, but also the Surface.

My reason: to explore aspects of being evil. Roleplay is excellent for that: You can "be" evil (IG), without "being" evil (in RL). Perhaps we all got that little devil inside of us, which we shouldn't let out?

In roleplay, we can let it out! And maybe learn that: Pfew, i am glad this isn't real life. :D

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Wed May 26, 2021 12:10 pm

Because LE and LG are basically the same thing 99% of the time, but I enjoy a spicy 1% 😀