Why Do You Play Evil? Open Question.

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Gaal

Re: Why Do You Play Evil? Open Question.

Post by Gaal » Wed May 26, 2021 5:04 pm

Simple, Role Playing the antagonist is fun.

Perem, El Grotto de Gnome

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu May 27, 2021 5:56 pm

I havent played many evil character. Most recent one turned neutral in the middle due to consequences of RP and the surrounding influence, which is half the fun really, letting the surrounding shape the character along the way. I have yet to play a goody that has gone corrupt so I may try that sometime. More into the past, my evil characters werent villainous, but more mentally damaged, confused and impulsive and playing an unaware evil that tries to do good and blend in (unsuccessfully) can be a lot of fun too.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

SinderBlok

Post by SinderBlok » Thu May 27, 2021 11:49 pm

I haven't had a major evil character on this server yet, but one of my favorite characters on a different one was a Chaotic Evil axe-happy Fighter/Rogue.

The thing is, he worked with Good characters. He joined them because they provided more opportunities to cause bloodshed, which he was happy about - in fact, they were appreciative of the fact that he was there. His best friend was a sheltered Neutral Good character, whom he was legitimately friends with. It didn't curb the fact that he was a bloodthirsty serial killer, he just had people that he liked, or people that he'd kill for - notably when they didn't want him to (RIP those two people in a jail cell who saw said NG person do something she shouldn't have).

I have nothing against playing Evil, but that doesn't mean that you can't be an Evil character amidst any other alignment. I'm tremendously more averse to the conceit that Evil needs to be associated with PvP. Conflict, absolutely! That's part of what makes a character's arc compelling, particularly when there's a greater goal that the PCs need to accomplish. However, when a character's evil nature inexorably draws people into "[character] dislikes you and is now hitting you with a greataxe" instead of more nuanced RP, I frequently find it boring. The mechanics on Arelith in particular don't lend themselves to resolution via PvP, imo, and it often feels more like a game of capture-the-flag, except the flags are people.

Ninjimmy

Post by Ninjimmy » Fri May 28, 2021 4:06 pm

^ This is pretty much the best way to play Evil in TableTop, and also how I've been approaching it so far on Arelith.

Be evil but like... a socially functional evil. Either by forming an evil group or being the friendly local psychopath.
Playing:
Olwin (AKA Olicoros Vrozt Akael Shilligg Jugem Dojj Winzalfur AKA That £$%^ing Wizard)