What group concept would you like to see?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: What group concept would you like to see?

Post by Kenji » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:54 am

A group of scythe-wielding Kelemvorites with the build: Paladin 8 / CoT 15 / WM 7

Xantor_Stromgate
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Xantor_Stromgate » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:13 am

A group of pacifistic, sleight-of-hand halflings going 'round pick-pocketing everyone, and everything, in sight!!!!

;)
It's all peaches 'n' cake!

Xantor_Stromgate
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Xantor_Stromgate » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:22 am

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:44 am
A group of displaced kender from Krynn (you all wanted thieves....)
Genius

Tasslehoff Burrfoot's great-great-great grandchildren!
It's all peaches 'n' cake!

chops1916

Post by chops1916 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:59 am

Eira wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 3:08 pm
Gangs. Gangs! GANGS.

I desperately want to see (and honestly I am holding out hope for a Shanty Town type area to do it in) mafia/criminal/smuggler/shady groups that blackmail people or threaten them for tithes, that are together for protection and money rather than something overtly evil or religious like that. I want there to be struggles over turfs and people paying others for protection so their home or shop doesn't get ransacked. I want it to be the kind of criminal that doesn't just get dunked on by Team Good, because TECHNICALLY they're within the law and you can't prove they're not.

Peaky Blinders Arelith, please, I am desperate for it.
I actually had a similar concept myself recently. A street gang of fist fighting ruffians, who would have turf and and street battles against other gangs. Then I thought it wouldn't work since the guards would just crush them.

chops1916

Post by chops1916 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:23 am

Cowbot wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 5:12 am
I agree with the commoner faction.

I think having a pool of relatively easily-influenced commoners would open up tons of fun RP for all sorts of groups across the server. Just make a group of very pliable people, open to corruption, redemption, extortion, or protection. I think a healthy and stable neutral group would be great.

Evil groups need people who can get desperate enough to sell their souls, and good groups need people to help overcome addiction, family disputes, or other things.

It's something I've considered playing before. Just play someone whose soul job it is to make friends and be fun to be around, and then have them get mistreated by every evil faction on the server.
I love that idea!

Airport Proximity Jesus

Post by Airport Proximity Jesus » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:33 am

I'd actually love to see a blatantly evil ranger/druid grove who care for the balance in an ultra controlling and vicelike way, working out of Zhurkwood. Dont think it'll ever happen though
8-) Cool kids wear shades during the endless night 8-)

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:01 pm

Airport Proximity Jesus wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:33 am
I'd actually love to see a blatantly evil ranger/druid grove who care for the balance in an ultra controlling and vicelike way, working out of Zhurkwood. Dont think it'll ever happen though
It'd be super neat to see the Zhurkwood active! In my entire time playing on this server I've never seen it.

Currently playing:
Thomas Castemont - Active

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Theodor Helbrecht - Rolled
Emma Young - Rolled
Ember Joyleaf-Underfoot - Rolled

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:13 pm

orog death metal band
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Xarge VI

Post by Xarge VI » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:52 pm

Knight/religious/political Order that seeks to ban all arcane magic

Exordius

Post by Exordius » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:21 pm

So basically the Anama from the Avernum trilogy.

Airport Proximity Jesus

Post by Airport Proximity Jesus » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:29 am

D4wN wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:01 pm
Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:33 am
It'd be super neat to see the Zhurkwood active! In my entire time playing on this server I've never seen it.
I have seen it happen two to three times, and it only ever lasted for a few months. Most recently... I believe was a svirf druid named Yowyn? I remember the character more than I remember how to spell her name :P but she was really solid. I believe, however, that she was TN

UilliamNebel

Post by UilliamNebel » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:05 pm

Silvanus followers working to hinder growth of some, and outright destroy other, settlements. Poisoning water and food supplies. Sneaking owl bears into the public markets, setting traps and ambushes in the wild about the area's harvested resources. Basically eco terrorist cell RP, causing masse damage while trying to remain unknown.
Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:29 am
I have seen it happen two to three times, and it only ever lasted for a few months. Most recently... I believe was a svirf druid named Yowyn? I remember the character more than I remember how to spell her name :P but she was really solid. I believe, however, that she was TN
Pretty sure she was TN. Really liked the brief nature walker RPs my character had at that time in the Zhurkwood. Really is sad to see how it and the other grove's RP isn't as anywhere as near active now. But sort of hard to keep nature walker RPs going on Arelith, with its settlement focus.

Gideon DeVay

Post by Gideon DeVay » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:11 am

Xarge VI wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:52 pm
love it
"Yog don't think Beat Up Guy know how dogman work."

Evelynn Longbrooke-rolled uncermoniously
Drakas Austraxas, The Quiet Fury

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:38 am

Gideon DeVay wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:11 am
Xarge VI wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:52 pm
love it
second this

even use magic to hoard/ban magic a la brotherhood of steel

cipher9

Post by cipher9 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:50 pm

I've always enjoyed orders that would try to control the flow of magic and information around the world and any attempts I've had to impliment it didn't go for a pure outright magical ban but more like how mystra locked away the 10th-11th-12th tiers of magic I think it's more manageable for everyone if it's more along the lines of "some magic is too dangerous to be used without oversight, anything above 6th circle arcane needs approval by the order"

LovelyLightningWitch

Post by LovelyLightningWitch » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:19 pm

cipher9 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:50 pm
I've always enjoyed orders that would try to control the flow of magic and information around the world and any attempts I've had to impliment it didn't go for a pure outright magical ban but more like how mystra locked away the 10th-11th-12th tiers of magic I think it's more manageable for everyone if it's more along the lines of "some magic is too dangerous to be used without oversight, anything above 6th circle arcane needs approval by the order"
There is an elven order who could work for this: The Olin Gisir.

While best known for their work concerning collecting and hiding/destroying information on how to summon dangerous extraplanar entities (primarily fiends), the Olin Gisir also look to preserve and hide other dangerous secrets. These secrets naturally include magical ones, particularly those that are dangerous.

Now, being a Chaotic Good organization, they don't go around murdering people just to keep things secret, they still try to police stuff, albeit preferring prevention to cures.

Not sure if it would give back the original fantasy though, as most organizations already try to stifle evil magics. But maybe it might work if one goes for an SCP vibe?

cipher9

Post by cipher9 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Something like that, there are plenty tools in game to oversee magic and if you design it in such a way there is still full passes for Bards and fledgling arcanists so they aren't being picked on, and perhaps could even be warned and molded into an environment where there is a force going around trying to moderate their magic use besides the gods.

Also a Lawful Neutral Banite order would be fun, ones focused on leading by example to show that Order is Right.

Airport Proximity Jesus

Post by Airport Proximity Jesus » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:52 pm

UilliamNebel wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:05 pm
Silvanus followers working to hinder growth of some, and outright destroy other, settlements. Poisoning water and food supplies. Sneaking owl bears into the public markets, setting traps and ambushes in the wild about the area's harvested resources. Basically eco terrorist cell RP, causing masse damage while trying to remain unknown.

I would love to see some ecoterrorism rp happen tbh

Nurel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nurel » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:20 am

Hazard wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 2:22 pm
An entire faction of pure class commoners.
A serious attempt at this was made by the gold dwarves of the Goldenbeard clan. They started out with ~8 coordinated players (or it was 6, not sure) who all came to Arelith together to practice trade

It was great having them around but it all lasted only about a month. In my opinion that is because there is only so much to do as a commoner, and the involved players quickly got bored with it and returned to their main characters

Nowadays some Goldenbeards do show up from time to time to deliver orders and get new orders for their crafts, but they are side characters, by no means an active faction.

I like the idea its really great, I just think commoner characters are not as appealing to support a whole faction of them without players getting bored. Why play commoner when you can get class levels and be just as effective in crafting while also able to traverse the world and enjoy all content..?

Don't get me wrong, commoners are awesome. Individual commoner alts add flavor to a settlement and are very refreshing to rp with. Aside from that, some of them are actually proper main characters who have mastered their craft, own quarters and shops and are legit high-impact PCs. This is all cool, but I just think the commoner class is a bit too niche to maintain a long-tern faction