Multiple bios / descriptions

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Haydeh

Multiple bios / descriptions

Post by Haydeh » Mon May 17, 2021 4:45 pm

Hi there,

I know there is great detail on the wiki, but I may be doing something out of order (please point me in the right direction if this forum is not the proper):

I have an initial character description (shortcutting "examine" shows it); let us say i wanna create a 2. description (to be used when using -disguise). How do i accomplish this, so when i "cancel" disguise my original description returns?

What I understood:

1) Copy a text (< 500 altogether) from pad onto a pin on map, adjust it, hit OK;
2) command -pindesc
3) command -savedesc Alter Ego

As far as I understood, this is all that is necessary to store said description.

Now let us say I shortcut -disguise Alter Ego. Will this change the descritpion from original to Alter Ego? And will hitting again return to the original?

This is enough for now... I suppose it is possible to create 2, 3 different disguises without "erasing" the original one...

Many thanks!

H

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Multiple bios / descriptions

Post by MissEvelyn » Tue May 18, 2021 8:14 am

The way I have it set up to work on my character is to have a description for each disguise persona, as well as one for my own character.

So, my character Ida de Vries has her own description, saved under "Ida de Vries", and then "Jane Doe" for one persona, "Jill Doe" for another, and so on.
Once the descriptions are saved, you never have to load them manually. That is unless you're wanting to edit them.

So when I type in -disguise Jane Doe, the description I saved under the same name is automatically loaded.

To make my life easier, I also save my disguise outfits under the persona name. So after -disguise, I will type in -loadoutfit Jane Doe.

I hope this all makes sense! 😊

Drowble Oh Seven

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Tue May 18, 2021 8:18 am

Haydeh wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 4:45 pm
Now let us say I shortcut -disguise Alter Ego. Will this change the description from original to Alter Ego? And will hitting again return to the original?
Yep. You've got it exactly.

It's worth noting that it breaks occasionally, so it's worthwhile examining yourself before and after you disguise, just to make sure everything's working as intended.

Haydeh

Post by Haydeh » Tue May 18, 2021 10:07 am

MissEvelyn wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 8:14 am
The way I have it set up to work on my character is to have a description for each disguise persona, as well as one for my own character.

So, my character Ida de Vries has her own description, saved under "Ida de Vries", and then "Jane Doe" for one persona, "Jill Doe" for another, and so on.
Once the descriptions are saved, you never have to load them manually. That is unless you're wanting to edit them.

So when I type in -disguise Jane Doe, the description I saved under the same name is automatically loaded.

To make my life easier, I also save my disguise outfits under the persona name. So after -disguise, I will type in -loadoutfit Jane Doe.

I hope this all makes sense! 😊
Thank you all - where i got wrong was setting a shortcut key to disguise *before* creating and saving different descriptions!

"So after -disguise, I will type in -loadoutfit Jane Doe." did not know but i have 3 totally different outfits and will see if i do that.

fulminea

Post by fulminea » Tue May 18, 2021 11:00 am

What I find convenient is play in window mode, keep a wordpad saved with all the descriptions for a char and just copy paste. Quick and easy.