Failed to Cache Manifest: Unable to open database file

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

IanPatron

Failed to Cache Manifest: Unable to open database file

Post by IanPatron » Sat May 22, 2021 6:29 pm

So I got a new laptop and installed steam and NWN. When I try to enter the UD server it comes up with the above message. Any chance someone would know how to correct it?

IanPatron

Re: Failed to Cache Manifest: Unable to open database file

Post by IanPatron » Sat May 22, 2021 9:55 pm

Ok, just for the hell of it. I decided to turn my computer on and off. That seemed to do the trick.

IanPatron

Post by IanPatron » Sat May 22, 2021 9:57 pm

Actually nope. it happened again

DM Symphony
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DM Symphony » Sat May 22, 2021 10:41 pm

Ian,

This sounds like a problem with SQL using your nwsync folder to download and store the server content.

This could be because of the paths in your new laptop having SQL unfriendly characters, like if your Windows user name has an å or a é or a ∆ or a variety of other characters.

Some antivirus also blocks these SQL and network calls, if you are using some, particularly AVG and Bitdefender etc, you may need to whitelist Arelith, NWN, NWsync, etc., in order to play, or, disable these programs.

This can also be a problem with the folders themselves, I know some players have all of their documents folders backed up online, with OneDrive or Dropbox, iCloud, etc., and most of these services recently started DELETING the originals from your computer, to save space on your drives.

This is not good for NWN, it needs to read/write files now, not wait for them to download temporarily, so, if you are using a service like this, try to remove NWN or Documents from the service, or disable it entirely.