Lack of High Level Writs

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Waldo52

Lack of High Level Writs

Post by Waldo52 » Wed May 26, 2021 7:12 pm

Maybe I'm just not looking in to right places but I'm not seeing many high level writ options. For reference, I'm level 24.

Sibayad won't let me do anything except the black fortress orc writ. Nexus falls has about three available and I get the sense that that number might fall soon.

Is this lack of high level content intentional? Sometimes I just grind against orcs near Sibayad but grinding feels a little out of place in a hardcore RP server. At least on a writ there's some narrative rationale to it: you're getting paid for a job and doing the town a favor.

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Lack of High Level Writs

Post by Eira » Wed May 26, 2021 7:19 pm

Shadow Wharftown has higher level writs though if your PC has reason to not want to work for shades, it's not great

I exist to describe the world around us.

Akorae

Keth'ym Evanara - wandering better paths
Veriel Xyrdan - married and happy
Reena Welkins - Dead

Discord: eighra

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Wed May 26, 2021 7:21 pm

Yes, writs were capped at level 21. I have recently increased some into early epic levels, but for the most part epic dungeons have no associated writs.

Duchess Says

Post by Duchess Says » Wed May 26, 2021 9:03 pm

Waldo52 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 7:12 pm
Is this lack of high level content intentional? Sometimes I just grind against orcs near Sibayad but grinding feels a little out of place in a hardcore RP server. At least on a writ there's some narrative rationale to it: you're getting paid for a job and doing the town a favor.
Most players will grind sometimes even the best RPers so I wouldn't feel guilty about that. Do what feels right for you of course. Otherwise I think the writs are intended to help everyone along to low epic levels, which is a point where you can take part in almost anything going on (except maybe 1 on 1 PvP vs a level 30 built to win) without having to rush.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Wed May 26, 2021 9:06 pm

Irongron wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 7:21 pm
Yes, writs were capped at level 21. I have recently increased some into early epic levels, but for the most part epic dungeons have no associated writs.
There are epic dungeons? I had no idea. Where?!

Drowble Oh Seven

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Thu May 27, 2021 3:43 am

Generally, anywhere that has one of those I-Might-Contain-Runic-Materials chests is an epic dungeon!

The shadow plane has some of them, that writs'll steer you towards, and there's others about (some out to sea, or in the depths of the underdark) that you'll likely come across. The fortress you've seen doing orclands is one as well, if you push all the way through it. They're around, though a bit less obvious then writ locations sometimes.

Blood on my Lips

Post by Blood on my Lips » Thu May 27, 2021 6:04 am

Irongron wrote:
Maybe, since we seem to have a lot of newer players that aren't familiar with the epic dungeons you could have either the Writ Agents or random NPCs in appropriate areas talk about the epic dungeons, giving some vague directions to them and a hint or warning of what they might find there.

Fargreze

Post by Fargreze » Thu May 27, 2021 7:25 am

Blood on my Lips wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 6:04 am
Irongron wrote:
Maybe, since we seem to have a lot of newer players that aren't familiar with the epic dungeons you could have either the Writ Agents or random NPCs in appropriate areas talk about the epic dungeons, giving some vague directions to them and a hint or warning of what they might find there.
The Radiant Heart system does this, and it's great. Better, you add properties to the very decent RH Ring by completing those areas. Would be cool if there was a "global" writ system that keeps track of which areas you have ever completed on a character, and gives you something for the accomplishment (maybe a weapon? by the end, a +3 enhanced Keen weapon? Something a bit worse than MDamask, but worth it for those who don't want to blow up 20 swords per character?).

Tabby
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Tabby » Thu May 27, 2021 9:19 am

Could be awesome to make some random generated quests.
1. Kill X many bug bears
2. Aquire x raw amethyst
3. Craft/Aquire random craftable item.

All messed up in one quest.

Addtional you could make a specific quest giver for commoners, that perhaps is all about crafting only?

Dormant Character: Tabitha Fuzzypaw - Shelved, searching all corners for treasures and secrets.
Misty Scrollsinger - Still searching answers, but is now elsewhere

Rolled Character: Björn Njald - sailed on new adventures

Tabby
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Tabby » Thu May 27, 2021 12:10 pm

Tabby wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:19 am
Could be awesome to make some random generated quests.
1. Kill X many bug bears
2. Aquire x raw amethyst
3. Craft/Aquire random craftable item.

All messed up in one quest.

Addtional you could make a specific quest giver for commoners, that perhaps is all about crafting only?
To extend my own text, the more meaning of this would be, to perhaps randomize 5 specific objectives in one quest, so the High level player gets around the world of arelith to complete the varous requirements, making it a quest of exploration, rewards could be semirare items, rather than gold, since this is most likely already something a 30 level character has lots of :)

Dormant Character: Tabitha Fuzzypaw - Shelved, searching all corners for treasures and secrets.
Misty Scrollsinger - Still searching answers, but is now elsewhere

Rolled Character: Björn Njald - sailed on new adventures

-slave

Post by -slave » Thu May 27, 2021 2:00 pm

Commoners.

I know commoners pretty well, all things considered. Levelling a commoner is an exercise in patience in order to get them up relatively high. And yes, I do understand that they are supposed to be this way. But, it can be exceptionally difficult to get some of what you need in order to keep crafting, even with allies and friends you make along the way. Sometimes it can also be difficult to earn the coin you need in order to buy resources from others.

So here's my idea.

Commoners as a class, can create quest contracts, that can net players XP.

Commoners as a class, can accept special contracts from players, to next XP.

This should obviously be controlled so it can't be so readily abused. But I believe that if you create systems by which adventurers and commoners are both more rewarded for interacting with one another, that it can create a much more substantial system of reward for both parties. The commoner can get some of those materials they desperately need - Adventurers want that sweet, sweet XP as a reward for finding those materials. Commoners want that sweet sweet XP. And an adventurer might be relatively new and not have enough coin. So maybe the commoner will make them a masterly steel weapon for free if it means getting an XP boost.

Just something to consider to give commoners something else to do in a more active sense to gather XP.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu May 27, 2021 5:48 pm

I think we could really use more epic dungeons. With level 30 being the cap, you mostly find epic dungeons empty these days. I'm grateful for any content the team introduces really but I think what we need the most is epic dungeons.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Airport Proximity Jesus

Post by Airport Proximity Jesus » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:51 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 5:48 pm
I think we could really use more epic dungeons. With level 30 being the cap, you mostly find epic dungeons empty these days. I'm grateful for any content the team introduces really but I think what we need the most is epic dungeons.
In the perfect world where I get what I want, I'd want to see double the amount of dungeons that are already on the server, many of them not bound to writs, and a massively expanded sibayad desert area. But the amount of work to go into that would be insane lel.
8-) Cool kids wear shades during the endless night 8-)

Rei_Jin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rei_Jin » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:03 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 5:48 pm
There's plenty of epic dungeons, and the Deep Wells beneath Guldorand is definitely a good epic area to go to.

The issue is not the number of dungeons, it's risk Vs reward for investment.

There are epic dungeons which require a lower investment that give as good a reward, or at times, better, than the ones that require a greater investment.

Case in point: I love the Deep Wells, but once you've explored the content once, maybe twice, there's no real reason to go back there (except for RP), because there's no special loot to find there, and no runic components (AFAIK).

Nekonecro

Post by Nekonecro » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:07 am

Not going to say where since it's a foig thing but there is a runic chest in there. It's pretty hard to get to.

Rei_Jin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rei_Jin » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:19 am

Fair, and I wouldn't ask you to tell me!

But compare the difficulty of accessing that one, to say, Red Dragon Isle?

Worth it? Ehhh...

LovelyLightningWitch

Post by LovelyLightningWitch » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:31 pm

Rei_Jin wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:19 am
Fair, and I wouldn't ask you to tell me!

But compare the difficulty of accessing that one, to say, Red Dragon Isle?

Worth it? Ehhh...
There's a similar dungeon pair that has the same conundrum. It might just be the product of my perma-party's synergies and stuff (swashbuckler/LM with a wizard/LM with pixie familiar), but we find the Viper monk dungeon a far more worthwhile return on investment in terms of jewelry, chests, bounties and stuff than the aurilite temple. The aurilite temple, offering equal or lesser rewards requires far more consumables and luck.