Took the writ with my friend.

Faerzess + mage boss = pain.

Nurel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Your most hated PVE enemy

Post by Nurel » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:14 pm

Maur Sorceress

These are fairly easy to kill, but sometimes getting to them is a challenge, since Maur spawn in large groups and often in tight spaces.

Sometimes there's 6 of them all invisible, spamming lvl 9 AoE spells on haste while you are stuck fighting their lesser allies in a narrow corridor. Plus you cannot knock them down.

They are the reason why each Maurhold run differs from the last, and sometimes you -do- get got, no matter how well you know the place. A max CL spell resistance ward does help a lot against large packs of Sorceressess, but even then there's still a chance they will manage to get you down before you get to them.

I definately hate these mobs, but Maurhold is probably my favorite dungeon so, I just kinda love to hate them.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:12 pm

As far as more common mobs go? Spiders. Friggin' spiders.

They don't drop gold
They don't drop any kind of loot
They usually have on-hit poison
Some have AoE aura poison attacks with high Fort DC's.
A lot of them have ranged touch attacks to flatfoot you and screw with your AC or prevent escape

Are they terribly difficult to kill? They're annoying and can drain restorative items quickly trying to fix their poison stat damage, but no. Most of my hate comes from the fact they're -extremely- unprofitable to kill. Downing a potion or two per after killing spawn doesn't sound too bad, but you have literally no gold/resource gain from them. There is a 0% return from killing spiders at best. Aside from the XP, which is easily found somewhere else with critters that actually drop gold.

The only other creatures I can think of that have such a skewed risk/reward ratio are maybe other beetle-like vermin like the hive mother, but i'm pretty sure even those dropped small amounts of gold and occassional resources like fire beetle bellies.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:37 pm

the manor kids are the best i hope they never go away

slithering trackers ...............

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:40 pm

Just a quick note on slithering trackers, for those that don't know. They have amazing detection and stealth, but move VERY slowly, relentlessly tracking their target.

They are most deadly to those people running high speed through areas and spawn groups, as they can unknowingly pick up a great many of them, and so, once you eventually stop for long enough...they'll catch you.

So if you know slithering trackers are native to an area, either move slowly, so as only to fight one at a time, or very quickly, without ever stopping for long.

And remember, like all slimes they have some big vulnerabilities.

Ordo.Lupus

Post by Ordo.Lupus » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:10 pm

Myconids in Skaldark. For that damn daze thingy. Probably a bunch of this in UD
Broke Tooth goblins. Seriously a bad bunch of bugs and by no means reasonable compared to writ level range.
Border Reavers in Minmir. Pretty tough bunch in confined spaces.
Phylactery boss. Thing has got an unreasonable amount of hp
"To every man is given the key to the gates of heaven. The same key opens the gates of hell" - Richard P. Feynman

Haroshia
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Haroshia » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:39 pm

The Benwick Erinyes with the dispel arrows. For some reason they seem to hit very easily and the Dispel seems super high. A couple of them in a pack can just melt me, and looking at their rolls they somehow hit with rolls way lower than my AC.
Tove Auburnridge

Airport Proximity Jesus

Post by Airport Proximity Jesus » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:23 pm

Now reading this, this is my own personal take- and partially why I made this thread. These enemies we all hate- they're all from dungeons we prefer to do, aren't they?

As an addendum from this point on, why do YOU subject yourselves to the dungeons with enemies that annoy you? Personally, I think it's money and rewards. I also suck at the game so any chance to practice in difficult enemies makes me feel like I wont lose my next pvp fight... which probably doesn't work out the way I want it to
Irongron wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:40 pm
Just a quick note on slithering trackers, for those that don't know. They have amazing detection and stealth, but move VERY slowly, relentlessly tracking their target.

They are most deadly to those people running high speed through areas and spawn groups, as they can unknowingly pick up a great many of them, and so, once you eventually stop for long enough...they'll catch you.

So if you know slithering trackers are native to an area, either move slowly, so as only to fight one at a time, or very quickly, without ever stopping for long.

And remember, like all slimes they have some big vulnerabilities.
I do remember one time I was making my way to the.... illithid or the titans, and one a particularly difficult fight I had ten large trackers show up on top of me. They are effective at their job XD
8-) Cool kids wear shades during the endless night 8-)

TooManyPotatoes

Post by TooManyPotatoes » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:34 pm

You're all looking at this wrong.

The real enemy is the invulnerable, untargetable blight of the underdark. Get too close and your day is ruined. At low levels they will take you down to a fraction of your hp and not even bother with you thereafter. Their very existence mocking you.

Even at level 30, these merciless foes may force as much as ten saves per round, all but ensuring you will fail that save. More than any enemy they force you to know their patterns. Many of which dont even make sense. You can be standing nowhere near them and still invoke their wrath.

Im speaking of course about mushrooms. Curse their infernal poison clouds.

No rest areas also suck. Stop making them.

Airport Proximity Jesus

Post by Airport Proximity Jesus » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:53 pm

TooManyPotatoes wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:34 pm
You're all looking at this wrong.

The real enemy is the invulnerable, untargetable blight of the underdark. Get too close and your day is ruined. At low levels they will take you down to a fraction of your hp and not even bother with you thereafter. Their very existence mocking you.

Even at level 30, these merciless foes may force as much as ten saves per round, all but ensuring you will fail that save. More than any enemy they force you to know their patterns. Many of which dont even make sense. You can be standing nowhere near them and still invoke their wrath.

No rest areas also suck. Stop making them.
Laughs in imp/yuan-ti

Might-N-Magic

Post by Might-N-Magic » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:46 am

Most don't bother me, but anything that just spams missile storms is the worst.

LovelyLightningWitch

Post by LovelyLightningWitch » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:35 am

The Fomorian Queen.

Went to fight it as a Swash/LM & Wiz/LM. We were IIRC level 21 or 22.

Barely survived. Wild magic or faerzess, dunno which was it, was painful.

Left such an impression we went about warning others about that place for a week with my party.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:41 am

There's the entire plethora of mobs at the Master of Monsters dungeon in Skal. I hate every single mob there, and *especially* the weave eaters. Why do we have such mobs in a game like this, I will never understand.

There's the Cursed Myconids in Skaldark. They hit really hard. Their AB is nuts. They are complimented by other mobs in the area who spam CCs. I hate those Cursed ones.

There's also the Gythyanki mages. Although, I'm not sure I hate them - they're just really strong - they spawn in groups and spam AoE high damage spells. Yikes.

Oh I really love the vamp kids in Mourn. They are partially why its my favorite dungeon.

But the really MOST HATED MOB award goes to.......

Decomposing Adventurer and Trickster Imp.
Fear on-hit (5 min long). gg.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:14 pm

TooManyPotatoes wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:34 pm
This

Pippo

Post by Pippo » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:33 pm

garrbear758 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:35 am
The undead adventurer in forest of despair. He becomes the bane of my existence once a year or so when I forget he’s there. He’s followed me across 10+ transitions before. You think you got away, but he just keeps coming.
you mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u4M6vppCI?

For me it's all monsters with high damage reduction, black oozes, the spawns of something in the pandemonium and whatnot. It takes me ages to take them down.

Senshi
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Senshi » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:55 am

Anything that surrounds a portal source.
Current Characters: Velem'vor

I do YT stuff.. IndieSenshi

Drogo Gyslain

Post by Drogo Gyslain » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:14 am

I've found a new one... Brain Beetles. That AOE is debilitating at low levels, and it's hard to hit!

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:50 am

Enemies that throw their lives away just so that they can dispel you with their dying breath despite it being far too late for them.
REE!

TheEssence

Post by TheEssence » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:11 am

Hogger!

No wait... that's another game...

But I think any caster is usually a pain since they just spam relentlessly and will drain your hp with missiles, hold you (cause you're bound to roll that 1), etc...

Recently I realized how horribly broken Spriggans are (never pictured them so overpowered in the past, but for the level you get the writ to them, I find them insanely tough).

And that dude Morghunn is quite broken himself, quite out of scale with the rest of the dungeon.

Finally I do agree wholeheartedly about spiders. Was such a relief when the [PutaDCyoucantbeathere] spiders where removed from the Brambles. Finding them back elsewhere with a new shiny pulse ability to poison without even needing to hit you, was... ugh! :lol:

Adora Ashallin - Back to mainland (Rolled)
Farnese Vannucci - Left the island (Rolled)
Akari Steelcold - Back to Kozakura (Rolled)
Elderith Ashalley - Serving in Celestia (Rolled)

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:04 pm

I wanted to add another, touch attack web tossing spiders. When you are a mundane without access to wands, these things are very expensive to fight.

DeamonHeart

Post by DeamonHeart » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:18 pm

At my current level - ANGRY TREES... I don't mind the roots, but the roots IN COMBINATION with angry trees,, EVEN in expertise mode They eat through me and turn me to mush .. -done-

After that - Ghouls whisperers. EVEN with DA, or Elemental Shield, these guys.. Mess People up. Because they never spawn alone.. and if you PICK one guy off the group, THESE guys come with.

Airport Proximity Jesus

Post by Airport Proximity Jesus » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:41 pm

DeamonHeart wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:18 pm
At my current level - ANGRY TREES... I don't mind the roots, but the roots IN COMBINATION with angry trees,, EVEN in expertise mode They eat through me and turn me to mush .. -done-

After that - Ghouls whisperers. EVEN with DA, or Elemental Shield, these guys.. Mess People up. Because they never spawn alone.. and if you PICK one guy off the group, THESE guys come with.
Any source of fire damage will mulch the angry trees, if it's any consolation

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:50 am

ah! The angry trees are indeed terrible. I remember, not once but several times they spawned around me and I was locked with really nothing to do but try to kill them, knowing I'm doomed to watch myself proc-ing god save and then dying again. Although I think they only spawn in 3s now so they cant really surround you anymore. God bless.

Today I also encountered the newww and improoooved Treants. They are quite something nice. *Truly* recommended experience :P (spoiler: their stats belong aside the boarder reavers or something like that). I just LOVE how every new mob has to be completely bonkers because if it were too weak no one would complain about it.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Quidix
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Quidix » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:47 pm

Darkmantles. That slow.

Amnesy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Amnesy » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:05 pm

That beast that spawns at times in Tin mines lvl 2 in Skal.

Then running away from it for eternity.