Encounters with Willham Pigsbane

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Waldo52

Encounters with Willham Pigsbane

Post by Waldo52 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:22 am

I play a character named Willham Pigsbane. He's something of a thief and a murderer, and I'm trying to advance his story arc. I'm looking to gather feedback from people who've encountered him in game, specifically when it comes to arresting him, killing him or being killed by him.

Finding the right balance between a wanton murderer and a world altering villain can be tough. You want people to fear and hate you in character, but you also want them to have fun or at least find purpose in trying to defeat you as a villain. You want people to know the roads aren't safe, but you don't want to be a pointless neckbeard griefer.

Has anyone here encountered the pig man? Were you bothered by his nonsensical rambling about pigs or do you think he adds to the world by giving the good guys something to do? I want to get some feedback so I can modify my roleplaying accordingly.

Archnon

Re: Encounters with Willham Pigsbane

Post by Archnon » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:36 am

I sent you a pm. Good on you trying to make the experience better for everyone.

Morgy
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Morgy » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:13 am

I’ve seen him many times and I’m sure he’s pretty well known by most!

If you’re looking for feedback/observations, my own would be that despite dying a fair number of times for doing the same things, he hasn’t much altered his behaviour. There’s a long topic about the consequences of death going on at the moment, so this train of thought is fresh in my mind.

All my encounters with Pigsbane have been mostly witnessing his yelling/fighting/robbing, but never any drawn out conversation. It’d help me feel more strongly about him as a villain if I could see him a little more uncloaked.

Exordius

Post by Exordius » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:45 am

Exo hates Mr. Piggy greatly but the rp and pvp is usually fun... like yesterday when he saw him and his friends near Bendir getting ready for mischief and made sure they were taken care of, even if indirectly heheh. :)

Cowbot

Post by Cowbot » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:00 am

First I want to say that asking for feedback like this takes a lot of backbone and I have a lot of respect for you reaching out like you are. I hope everyone takes the opportunity to be polite and constructive.

Oswald encountered Pigsbane two or three times and I enjoyed both times. I actually wanted to follow-up on getting Pigsbane some mental help rather than just trying to exile/kill him for his crimes, but sadly I stopped encountering you before Oswald was shelved.

In the dungeon delves we went on I liked the distinct feeling that something was terribly wrong with the man, with the underlying implication that it may not be entirely Pigsbane's fault - there could be something demonic or mystical haunting him. It felt like a thread I wanted to tug at. I also noted that he didn't threaten Oswald for no reason. Perhaps it was because Ossy didn't attack or verbally assault Pigsbane? I don't know, but it left Oswald thinking there was room for him to try and reach out to the man.

I think that's important for a villain. Leave an avenue open for resolving the solution that isn't just blatant pvp. I felt like I could earn his trust and help him other ways if I had the time to do it.

The other time I encountered him he was in a disguise pretending to be wronged by himself, which I thought was an amazing and hilarious use of the disguise tool. Poor Ossy didn't have enough spot to break the disguise so he was completely fooled. I thought it was great.

Those were my two encounters with Pigsbane.

Snake2512

Post by Snake2512 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:49 am

Idk how to give you advice to advance his arc

But I've encountered him like twice and both were objectively hilarious and very well roleplayed, good work.

Denny Lynndain-Walvish, certified rude boy - Rolled
Lysanthir Ellenocen - Shelved
Reznov Willensbane - Rolled
Vald Machjarak - Rolled
Gaderel Anjou, certified lawful good - Active
Rodolfo Duskvale, certified funny guy - Rolled
Ghug Sord - Extinguished

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:23 pm

The other time I encountered him he was in a disguise pretending to be wronged by himself, which I thought was an amazing and hilarious use of the disguise tool. Poor Ossy didn't have enough spot to break the disguise so he was completely fooled. I thought it was great.
Was this the guy running around in Skal declaring "I have soiled myself"? That was hilarious.

Haroshia
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Haroshia » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:50 pm

Willham is amusing. There is however a certain expectation in setting of characters avoiding and fearing death. I think he could benefit a bit from not going QUITE as hard on charging to his doom.
Tove Auburnridge

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:49 pm

@Archon:

Thank you for the PM. The particular problems you pointed out to me were corrected many, many months ago when I was still very much an Arelith newbie and a DM explained to me that running to an area's exit and suddenly transition jumping in stealth is bad form.

@Morgy and Haroshia:

Your comments about the fear of death needing to effect everyone are totally spot-on accurate. This has been one of the hardest aspects of roleplaying the pig man, because I want to take death seriously in character but I'm also playing a lunatic who doesn't have that critical ability to think two steps ahead and operate in a prudent manner given his general social and emotional disability. I've tried a number of things to avoid dying because I want death to have the weight it deserves. I've leveled up to 25, i hang with more powerful people, I carry invisibility scrolls. Some of the good guys have been fighting me in subdual too, which allows for an arrest or more of a beat down which is satisfying in a story sense. Trying to play a murderous psycho who gets himself into comically dangerous situations without dying is an extremely difficult thing, but I'm doing my best.

As to Morgy's comment about a lack of drawn out conversation, I've been doing a LOT of talking in a few cities and towns lately. This character is very hard on the wrists :D

@ Cowbot

Willham is actually deeply motivated by the pursuit of friendship. He may not have attacked you because in his own way he was looking for some companionship. The prospect of getting him mental help would have been an RP gold mine.

@Cowbot and Dr. B

Yes... The disguise persona of Harrence O'Porridge is a lot of fun. He's always grieving for his wife Dollop and wears a clown suit ("Can't you see I'm still dressed for mourning?!"). He constantly soils himself. To be honest I don't think Pigsbane adopts this form intentionally, he is just profoundly mentally ill. If anything, Pigsbane is motivated by an extreme urge to kill Harrence.

@Exordius

You can't protect the wee folk forever!

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:44 pm

I love this character. So interesting, funny and also terrifying. Sometimes sad, too!
And you don't seem to be overdoing it with the attacks/PvP from what I can tell at least. I appreciate that, and you even let yourself get caught sometimes. Very awesome villain!!

When Pigsbane starts talking, I always find myself impressed!