New Luke Scull sequel announced!

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Ebonstar

New Luke Scull sequel announced!

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:35 am

Blades of Netheril is what he posted in the NWNEE pages on FB. seems to be very intriguing with alot of new content as well coming next year.

Post as follows:

Fantasy author and Ossian Studios lead designer Luke Scull is thrilled to announce The Blades of Netheril, an unofficial sequel to the Neverwinter Nights original campaign! The story is a direct continuation of the Wailing Death storyline. Cast out in disgrace and erased from Neverwinter's history, the hero is thrust into a struggle between ancient powers that could ultimately rewrite the fate of Faerûn. Familiar faces will return alongside new allies and enemies as the player embarks on an epic quest that is both world-changing and deeply personal.

The Blades of Netheril will be split into three chapters each approaching an expansion in scope. Each chapter will include:

• 20+ hours of gameplay
• A fully narrated intro cinematic
• Deadly new monsters to fight
• New portraits and a gorgeous world map
• New music
• The level of quality one would expect from an official campaign or premium module

The first chapter begins in Skullport, also known as the Port of Shadows—a city of slavers, monsters and villains festering far below Waterdeep. Waking up in a dark cell with no memory of they how they came to be there, the hero will discover a dark conspiracy that spans the breadth of the Forgotten Realms.

As well as acting as a direct sequel to the original campaign, The Blades of Netheril will serve as a sequel to Shadows of Undrentide, Hordes of the Underdark, and Luke’s previous AL series of modules.

The first chapter of the Blades of Netheril is targeting a release date of June 18th, 2022—exactly 20 years after Neverwinter Nights was originally released on Microsoft Windows. Subsequent chapters will follow six to 12 months later.

The Blades of Netheril is currently planned to be available free for owners of Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition on Windows/Mac OS X, while other versions may follow later. Multiplayer is planned but may be added post-release.

For regular updates on The Blades of Netheril, subscribe to Luke Scull’s Patreon. You can also visit his website at www.lukescull.com and follow him on twitter @Luke_Scull.

About Luke Scull:

Luke Scull was the lead designer and writer of NWNEE: Tyrants of the Moonsea, NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate, The Shadow Sun, and the Gemmell award nominated The Grim Company trilogy of novels. He also created the classic NWN Hall of Fame modules Siege of Shadowdale and Crimson Tides of Tethyr and is a veritable depository of Forgotten Realms lore.

The Blades of Netheril is his personal project and has no affiliation with Ossian Studios.
Yes I can sign

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: New Luke Scull sequel announced!

Post by Irongron » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:05 am

Just to be clear if there's any confusion. I did Lead Level Design on Tryants and thus Arelith was indirectly involved. That is NOT the case with this project. I wish him well with it of course, but as I understand he is doing this entirely on his own. Neither ourselves, Beamdog, Ossian or Wotc are in any way involved.

The fact that this is happening this way at all also puts to bed the notion that NwN will ever get another official expansion, which I have known to be extremely unlikely for some time, just as I'm sure Luke would not have considered anything unofficial if there was any possibility of official support.

deserk

Post by deserk » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:14 am

It sounds like a very intriguing campaign, just a shame that there's no official support from Beamdog. It would have been a great concept for an expansion for NWN1EE.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:43 pm

.............................. is this legal

i know arelith takes donations but it's for server hosting costs, paying individual artists for their own custom assets, and so forth

but isn't this sorta just getting money for something that remains an actively protected property of WotC

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:38 pm

Kuma wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:43 pm
.............................. is this legal
It says in the post that it is going to be free, which is the IP get out of jail free card, in almost all cases.

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:53 pm

I personally wouldnt take a dime for a project unless I was certain it could be delivered, and Patreon is not kickstarter; donations are not returned if the funding goal is not met.

Normally I would be extremely sceptical of something on this scale, especially within that time frame, but I do know Luke, and have worked with him. He's also singlehandedly produced modules before, and know that he loves the game.

I do not envy him the task he is setting for himself, am doubtful it will be funded by players and am unconvinced that there will be much of an audience for an unofficial campaign, but, nobody is better positioned, or qualified to deliver one than Luke.

The sad thing, as I said above, is that this amounts to a very clear signal that there will be no new official campaign, as if there was going to be, this would likely have been it.