Artefacts of the Deep Wells.

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Apothys
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Artefacts of the Deep Wells.

Post by Apothys » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:32 pm

Had an interesting conversation the other day about the Deep Wells.

Many see this place as a waste of time as runic chests can found in much easier places. As once the novelty of the place wears of it just becomes a place that drains your consumables for the same result as much smaller high end dungeons.

Personally I love the place, such a lot of effort has gone into it so far. However listening to the above statement made me kinda pause. Isnt there supposed to be some sort of chance of finding artefacts and are these artefacts simply rp items tied to possibly dm events or are they in fact better versions of items we usually find in runic chests?

Asking about this i discovered that noone has ever found any arefacts in the Deep Wells, well not to the knowledge of those discussing the issue of the Deep Wells. So i guess my question is, is this actually something that exists? The artefacts i mean. Can we find them in the dark and deadly maze like depths of the Deep Wells or is this still to be implemented.

Thanks in advance.

Talandis Tanor'Thal
Kalnafein Cress'delbarra
Tanis Thade
Merklynn Steelshadow II
Gulmyr Dro'Vaalvaz
Aerik Northman

Good Character

Re: Artefacts of the Deep Wells.

Post by Good Character » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:06 pm

Not sure if you were around when artefacts were still on Arelith, but assuming they have been dissolved to the point of existing ones back then not even being grandfathered I assume no.

However, I do with the Deep Wells had something more to give. Frankly, I wish it was the home for expansive, imaginative, off-the-walls DM plots. Personally, I wish we could see a chest placed in there that would save a single item; a single item, when presented to a DM, would being the plot that a DM has set up; within the description it would state in OOC brackets to alert the DM team via the forums of the item you've obtained. Make it well-known by the DM team that embarking on these quests would lead to a high chance of permanent character death but in return for great rewards. The Deep Wells are in fact made for late-epic characters.

Diegovog

Post by Diegovog » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:18 am

The artefact story behind the Deep Wells work really well for single player but not so good for multiplayer. You could implement something that always gives artifacts how deep you go and you turn them in at the NPC for some reward. But seems much more meaningful and rare when you're the only one (or group) doing it in a campaign.

I wish the dungeon had better reward in normal good loot chests and more veins all around.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:30 am

'Elven Artefact' as a Skull Coin-esque loot roll when returned to the elven embassy could be fun.

Perhaps they could also be used in crafting, which would give loyal elves an impetus to hunt down those selling them to nefarious parties (a-la Moonblades being illegal to sell and smuggle in some settlements). Would have an analogous fence in the UD that might buy them for similar rewards.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Deryliss

Post by Deryliss » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:31 pm

I have no specific suggestions, but it definitely would be good to have more reasons to visit the deep wells after the first few exploratory journeys. I was incredibly inspired after reading the original article about the Deep Wells (an oldschool style roguelike dungeon? ACE!) but the honest truth is most players will visit the Deep Wells once or twice and then never come back.

It also doesn't help that the Deep Well writs are infamous for being incredibly hard for their level and not worth the trouble.

I think the idea about recovering 'artifacts' (which would be misc items with lore descriptions and such) and then getting rewarded for returning them to the correct place is a cool one. Lots of potential there, including having multiple factions you could turn in artifacts to for different rewards (and different degrees of making the elves upset).
Marijani, Priestess of Istishia

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:47 pm

Honestly just went in the first time the other day and really loved them. Loved the confusing layouts to wander around In and at level 26 the enemies were interesting, fun, and decent xp.

I think it is a fine place to explore for epics, though I would second the increased resource nodes. It would be cool if it was an area steam could go to harvest a solid amount of resources with rarer nodes as you got deeper. Most levels now don't have any resources. Put 2 gems and an ore on every level and some obsidian too as so.e areas were begging for it. Maybe even some ud plants. I think the endless climb down really lends itself to harvesting and fits the whole you want more dig deeper vibe and settlements are going to start to get resources crunch with the time change and this could be a fun solution.

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:50 pm

Deryliss wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:31 pm
I was incredibly inspired after reading the original article about the Deep Wells (an oldschool style roguelike dungeon? ACE!) but the honest truth is most players will visit the Deep Wells once or twice and then never come back.
Yep.
what would fred rogers do?

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:08 pm

The Wells have a very bad challenge/reward ratio when compared to some(most?) other dungeons.

EnigmaticSpirit
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by EnigmaticSpirit » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:27 am

Kuma wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:30 am
'Elven Artefact' as a Skull Coin-esque loot roll when returned to the elven embassy could be fun.

Perhaps they could also be used in crafting, which would give loyal elves an impetus to hunt down those selling them to nefarious parties (a-la Moonblades being illegal to sell and smuggle in some settlements). Would have an analogous fence in the UD that might buy them for similar rewards.
This is a fantastic idea, can we do this?

Apothys

Post by Apothys » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:37 pm

Wow. Yeah this would be a great idea. :)

Talandis Tanor'Thal
Kalnafein Cress'delbarra
Tanis Thade
Merklynn Steelshadow II
Gulmyr Dro'Vaalvaz
Aerik Northman

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:23 pm

I also love that idea. I'm not involved in area stuff but I hope someone takes that on.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

Zan

Post by Zan » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:10 am

If we are doing something like that, maybe also add a similar NPC in Andunor for black market elven artifacts so its not content locked for surfacers
Current Char: Khael'dar

"Understanding is a Three-Edged Sword"

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:32 am

Zan wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:10 am
If we are doing something like that, maybe also add a similar NPC in Andunor for black market elven artifacts so its not content locked for surfacers
literally said that in my post

i do think the deep wells needs a rod of recall that can be used* by UDers, since it's already soft-locked to surfacers. needing to leave the deep wells and arriving in front of an elven death squad isn't great if you have drow in the party. perhaps it ports you to an upperdark 'observation post' formed by a claddath-freth uneasy truce to acquire elven relics. perhaps even the old portal chamber.

* maybe it's a crafted item that needs a rod of recall in the recipe, so there's some sneaky business involved

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Tabby
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Tabby » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:37 pm

Area specific items, could be interesting, as with resources.. certain areas has more of A and less of B, then other places More B than A, etc.

Also yeah other types loot that can be found in the deep wells will surely add alot of population to the area...

Perhaps that idea, should implemented in other areas aswell... brogendenstein higher chance of dwarven loot, the dale.. hinnish.. so on..

I do wonder where these new Unique items would be hiding though *taps chin and ponders* :D

Dormant Character: Tabitha Fuzzypaw - Shelved, searching all corners for treasures and secrets.
Misty Scrollsinger - Still searching answers, but is now elsewhere

Rolled Character: Björn Njald - sailed on new adventures

Apothys

Post by Apothys » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:55 pm

Tabby wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:37 pm
Area specific items, could be interesting, as with resources.. certain areas has more of A and less of B, then other places More B than A, etc.

Also yeah other types loot that can be found in the deep wells will surely add alot of population to the area...

Perhaps that idea, should implemented in other areas aswell... brogendenstein higher chance of dwarven loot, the dale.. hinnish.. so on..

I do wonder where these new Unique items would be hiding though *taps chin and ponders* :D
Interesting you should say that, I've found a different flavour of magic items in the Underdark compared to the surface, could be me thinking there's a difference when there isn't. But it sure feels that way to me sometimes when im shopping - so to speak.

Talandis Tanor'Thal
Kalnafein Cress'delbarra
Tanis Thade
Merklynn Steelshadow II
Gulmyr Dro'Vaalvaz
Aerik Northman

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:17 pm

EnigmaticSpirit wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:27 am
Kuma wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:30 am

This is a fantastic idea, can we do this?
Also agree this would be a great idea!

Tabby
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Tabby » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:36 am

Interesting you should say that, I've found a different flavour of magic items in the Underdark compared to the surface, could be me thinking there's a difference when there isn't. But it sure feels that way to me sometimes when im shopping - so to speak.
Hmm.. i havent experienced that soo much myself, well resources, the Nitranit? (Spelling?) Surely is a Underdark resource, but i havent notice the biggest difference in chest loot, perhaps i wasnt paying enough attention to that :D i will from now on though :)

Dormant Character: Tabitha Fuzzypaw - Shelved, searching all corners for treasures and secrets.
Misty Scrollsinger - Still searching answers, but is now elsewhere

Rolled Character: Björn Njald - sailed on new adventures