Prisoner Backstory

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Waldo52

Prisoner Backstory

Post by Waldo52 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:18 pm

I'm in one of those cycles where a friend wants to remake so I make a side character to join him, only to realize that the new characters don't get along with my brother's character for legitimate flavor/alignment reasons so we remake again but the character dynamic doesn't feel quite right so everyone remakes again, rinse and repeat x 4. My friend and I came to an agreement that seemed stable and copacetic, we would just tell the other guy a class and he'd have to use it. In fact my friend got greedy and gave me an alignment and a race too!

I'm a lawful neutral half orc monk with hooks for hands, because "unarmed" combat can be pretty brutal.

Besides being a double amputee and semi reformed Sencliff pirate I was thinking of making him an ex convict. The problem is that I don't know anything about the prison system of the Arelith universe. Are there any larger prisons (20+ people) where prisoners are held long term? I haven't seen any, but perhaps they exist"off screen" somewhere?

If jail is just one or two cells and more temporary in the Arelith universe I'll scrap the ex-con idea, but I wondered if a man getting thrown in a large dungeon, losing both his hands and being forced to fight to survive for a decade would be something that fits with the setting.

Opustus

Re: Prisoner Backstory

Post by Opustus » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:48 pm

As far as IC goes, troublemakers tend to be ostracised rather than incarcerated. However, Forgotten Realms has prisons and labor camps, so wouldn't personally find either an unseemly choice for a character background. My own idea is that player actions don't reflect the day-to-day of the rabble and so circumstances outside the common knowledge of players and characters may exist among the NPCs.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

fulminea

Post by fulminea » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:34 pm

There is a prison in neverwinter (See also nwn Main story)

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki ... a_District

Your Post and Charakter concept made me lol and i genuinely hope to run into him!

Have at it! :D

Exordius

Post by Exordius » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:34 am

Prisoner background would fit well with an elder-scrolls/arelith crossover... not that such will ever happen of course.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:15 pm

I went with what Opostus mentioned, a labor Camp somewhere unspecified in the Forgotten Realms setting.

The fighting style looked a bit comical but he turned out to be a very serious character. Poor guy was betrayed by the half elf ranger who he saw as almost a son and was killed.

He had a very hard life and after that betrayal he didn't have the heart to come back from Kelemvor's wall.

RIP.