DM directed PC one off's/throwaways

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

chops1916

DM directed PC one off's/throwaways

Post by chops1916 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:17 am

This is just an idea I'm throwing out there to see if anyone had similar thoughts or ideas.

I wonder if a group could be made up, or volunteers taken on per event, where said players would make characters for the explicit purpose of trying to pull off a DM directed objective, to be deleted upon achieving the objective. Depending on the difficulty or severity of the objective the DM's could level them to a required level, or even just give them a given time limit to reach a level that would make them effective in carrying out their given objective. Maybe that is too open to "DM favouritism" etc.

They could also be one off creations to act as a henchman for a DM controlled villain. This could be a good way for players who would like to create more antagonistic NPC's gain experience in such roles and a greater understanding of player versus player rules as they act under DM supervision.

The thought came to me while reading another thread. If a group of players attempted to make a criminal syndicate or street gang it would be easily and quickly eradicated by the guard forces and organisations that act to protect the people and property of Arelith.

Such criminal organisations would be a great way, I think, to involve lower level characters in role play. As a lot of the role play is high level, high stakes and very deep, involved storylines. This way, people could role play out some protection rackets or just simple street gang turf wars etc.

Thoughts?

Farlius

Re: DM directed PC one off's/throwaways

Post by Farlius » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:29 am

My major concern is the downtime and general group management.

I think a few questions need asked here but honestly they may not have good answers if at all:

What happens when the DM is offline?

What happens if a key player isn't available?

What equivalent authority are these NPC PC'S expected to have? The DM's are not omniscient and this can be set by them in a briefing, but may be worth discussing anyway.

Do these characters qualify for rewards on deletion?

Why doesn't a DM just make these character's for their event, possibly enlisting other DM help, instead of being beholden to players?

What happens if it devolved/broke to Pvp?
The scenarios given may tend towards that after all.
Following that, what happens on winning or losing said pvp?

Would you expect the pool of players applicable to be 30 and 40 rpr or any rpr?

Lastly from myself, what is stopping someone trying this on a lower level but being less aggro and careful about their targets? (Regarding the criminal idea)

I do think this idea has some consideration and thought behind it, to me however I find alot of unanswered and possibly problematic points to contend with.

Airport Proximity Jesus

Post by Airport Proximity Jesus » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:22 am

I like the idea, but I feel like it'd work more on a smaller server. I do think Ravenloft has stuff like this though.

Not saying it couldn't work! But DMs are usually spread pretty thin here
8-) Cool kids wear shades during the endless night 8-)

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:42 am

Hey! I'm that guy that mentioned that!

I have roleplayed on PWs for about 15 years. One of the best things I've come across were "mummers" - players playing minor, disposable characters to provide conflict difficult to PCs. Examples would be cultists, smugglers, pillagers, minor criminals, drunkards, werewolves, etc.

All the mummers had to do was create a profile for the character and explain their intent with the character. A DM would approve it, then allow that character to be created with minor powers (i.e. use special effects, spawn minor creatures, be certain monsters, set themselves to be certain levels, etc.).

Ravenloft does something similar with their monster PCs, and it's arguably a big server. Very doable on Arelith, though certainly the large-scale, organized situations would be difficult and tedious to put together.

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:57 am

I'm not entirely sure what that would achieve other than giving PVPers a chance to PVP without consequence and the help of a DM. DMs have the ability to spawn groups of NPCs and control them. If you add players to the mix it might just end up with PVPers signing up for these things as a way to "win" and create a lot of salt.

I've been involved in a few PVP events where DMs got involved and it never ends well. For anyone.

Currently playing:
Thomas Castemont - Active

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Theodor Helbrecht - Rolled
Emma Young - Rolled
Ember Joyleaf-Underfoot - Rolled

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:17 pm

I've been on servers that did that, and it works for DM-directed servers.

However, I don't think it would work here, as Arelith is largely player-driven. Instead, we the players are expected to create our own events and storylines, or be the support of other players and their storylines. That's as close as you'll get.

Duchess Says

Post by Duchess Says » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:12 pm

Something that could be done along these lines might be to create a private NWN module and run a more PnP style adventure for a small group of Arelith friends. Wouldn't need an Arelith DM for that, just someone who is capable of assuming the role.

Of course this wouldn't be considered Arelith "canon" if you used your same character but instead be treated like a one-off adventure that isn't spoken of in "Arelith proper".

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:40 am

This would be great on a smaller server or one with different design goals, but Arelith has nearly twenty years of "player driven roleplay" being the guiding philosophy.

Also, you can absolutely run a criminal faction without getting destroyed by the guards, as long as you do it in an intelligent manner. Hell, have your entire criminal faction join a city guard and run their "protection" racquets as official government business, or operate in the Guldorand ports where the guards have less authority, or in the Cordor slums where I've never once seen a guard unless they already received a report, at which point there are plenty of escape routes into the sewers, some of which lead well beyond the city limits. There are a lot of options for criminal RP, as long as your plan is slightly better than run around mugging people in the middle of a public square.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

Echohawk
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Echohawk » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:53 am

I think this thread has validity, but it's at the discretion of a few factors.

Typically these types of events and similar styles of events have in game player made factions and groups in them, be them X-god fanatic, criminal syndicate working out the back of a bar, and so on. That part any of us can do with the right tools and effort behind it. After which point if you want to punctuate the timeline of said faction, or event to end a story you might submit a suggestion to the DMs.

There's a lot of room for troublemaking it just depends on if you're being overt or subversive really. But I'd never make a character/group on the basis of expecting a DM to make it special. They can given the time and desire to, but the rest is up to players.

Small teaspoon of aside:
The only thing about banditry and thuggery is just to not let it get too far out of hand in the lowest level areas (or specifically targeting low level players). And follow the necessary play prior to hostilities like always.
Arelith Discord: https://discord.gg/mAm8M3T
Echohawk#0623
Availability - Whenever, Sweden (GMT+1)