Roleplaying as your own brother

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Waldo52

Roleplaying as your own brother

Post by Waldo52 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:38 pm

I'm looking to level a side character with a friend. My main is Willham Pigsbane and my side guy is his brother Billham. Someone on discord seemed to suggest that this was a no-no.

I've played Billham once and will delete the character is this is against the rules, but I wanted a concise ruling from a DM.

Just to be clear the brothers have not met in years and have no relationship. I'm not trying to use Billham to further Willham in any way. He's got about 45 minutes play time on him so a deletion would be no loss in terms of work, but the character is a lot of fun.

Curve

Re: Roleplaying as your own brother

Post by Curve » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:50 pm

I have seen people do consecutive family members, but never concurrent. It does seem a little weird because those brothers will reap what the other has sown. I'd ask myself what am I trying to accomplish with the brother character, are you chasing the same type of story, or creating something new? Also at some point you will be asked about the other character and that is just strange when you are actively playing them. Arelith is not a huge place, why would they not see one another? Seems suss and kind of boring to me, but probably not against the rules so long as you don't make them interact off camera.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:59 pm

Just to be clear the brothers have not met in years and have no relationship. I'm not trying to use Billham to further Willham in any way
Then why make them brothers?

Ask a DM to change Billham's second name, claim your brother is a npc off isle or some such - and away you go!

Basicaly the rule is your various characters should not be awear of each other, fruther each others goals, share funds/equipment/ect. They should be entirely seperate. AT best they might be dimly awear of one another 'Oh what? Willham Pigsbane? Yeah uh, I think I've heard of him...' but that's about it. This is especially true if you're playing said characters at the same time.

It isn't specifically that we ban people playing characters who are family members/siblings, it's more that to do so - (especially concurrently as Curve said) and yet avoid having any reason to help, interact, or know much about each other is very difficult.

For example imagine Billham was killed by Drow. You switch to Willham after, to calm down, and a few moments later someone runs up to you and goes, 'Willham! Your brother Billham was murdered by drow! They're in the Nexus falls right now - come help us avenge him!'

How do you find reason /not/ to go? Not to intervene?

So yes, it's not strictly dissalowed? But it's heavily frowned upon. I recommend - if they really have no linkages at all, that you ask for a name change.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

godhand-
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by godhand- » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:08 am

I don't think Willham could have a brother called Billham....

He's too Wee.
Cortex wrote: Addendum, the immediate above post by godhand is wrong in about every aspect, as were most of his other posts.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:01 am

I'll play Billham.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:54 am

godhand- wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:08 am
I don't think Willham could have a brother called Billham....

He's too Wee.
LOL! Love to meet a fan 😂

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:54 am

Ork wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:01 am
I'll play Billham.
PLEASE DO.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:55 am

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:59 pm
Just to be clear the brothers have not met in years and have no relationship. I'm not trying to use Billham to further Willham in any way
Then why make them brothers?

Ask a DM to change Billham's second name, claim your brother is a npc off isle or some such - and away you go!

Basicaly the rule is your various characters should not be awear of each other, fruther each others goals, share funds/equipment/ect. They should be entirely seperate. AT best they might be dimly awear of one another 'Oh what? Willham Pigsbane? Yeah uh, I think I've heard of him...' but that's about it. This is especially true if you're playing said characters at the same time.

It isn't specifically that we ban people playing characters who are family members/siblings, it's more that to do so - (especially concurrently as Curve said) and yet avoid having any reason to help, interact, or know much about each other is very difficult.

For example imagine Billham was killed by Drow. You switch to Willham after, to calm down, and a few moments later someone runs up to you and goes, 'Willham! Your brother Billham was murdered by drow! They're in the Nexus falls right now - come help us avenge him!'

How do you find reason /not/ to go? Not to intervene?

So yes, it's not strictly dissalowed? But it's heavily frowned upon. I recommend - if they really have no linkages at all, that you ask for a name change.
Fully understood. I've retired the character, didn't feel like renaming him as he had a very Pigsbane feel. I hope Ork takes up the promise to play Billham 😂. My IRL brother is playing uncle Thrillham.

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Kenji » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:34 am

I’ll play Dillham

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:49 am

I'll play his true neutral uncle who just wants to Grillham

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:44 pm

For the record:

Willham's brother is Billham
Their sister is Willhamina
The mother and father are Jillham and Killham
Killham's brother and Willham/Billham/Willhamina's uncle is Thrillham (who is played by my IRL brother)

I would love nothing more than to see random family on the server. Grillham and Dillham would be more than welcome if the existent members' names are not used.

Just remember that the Pigsbane farm is a very isolated place and the family has a distinct manner of speaking. Incorporate any of the following and you'll be cool:

Dang old/Dang ol'

Yeeeeeeeeeeep!

Git (I still don't know what this means but use it a lot: "Boy done git, ain' hardly done work on a farm like'a can't even tell a sow from a boar!")

Excessive use of the words "boar", "hog" and "sow"

Boy ain't right

*Oinks like a pig*

Excessive use of the word "like", especially "I grown up on a farm, like."

Up an' gone ("You up an' gone git!")