Shadowrun

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Xantor_Stromgate
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Shadowrun

Post by Xantor_Stromgate » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:06 pm

Ho-ly crap!!! Being an uber-fan of medieval fantasy, the only reason I got this game was because GoG had a giveaway off the Trilogy. And out of curiosity I decided to give the first in the series a go. To say I was pleasantly surprised would be a VAST understatement! We got any Shadowrunners in the Arelithian community? And, if so, how much of my life is going to be spent on this tasty treat!?
It's all peaches 'n' cake!

Good Character

Re: Shadowrun

Post by Good Character » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:05 pm

I heard it was a great time, but not usually a fan of turn-based combat like that. I might give it a go for its cool theme and setting.

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:35 pm

I enjoyed it as I played the tabletop version (2nd and 4A) though not enough to purchase the others.

Personally I liked Battletech more (same company, and also originally a TTRPG/wargame by the same creators) and felt they had refined their approach to the mechanics more. Also really liked the soundtrack for that one.

Xantor_Stromgate
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Xantor_Stromgate » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:02 pm

Cool! Thanks!

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:28 pm

okay, showing my age, but the Super Nintendo version of this game is possibly one of the greatest RPG's of the 90's. I don't play the tabletop or the newer versions but man, that one was a classic!

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:45 am

Archnon wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:28 pm
okay, showing my age, but the Super Nintendo version of this game is possibly one of the greatest RPG's of the 90's. I don't play the tabletop or the newer versions but man, that one was a classic!
The Sega Genesis version was better. :lol: Genesis does what Nintendon't.

In response to OP- the games are pretty cool. The stories are excellent (especially the character side-quests). They have some class-based replay value, as well, but for the most part you can get all relevant endings and outcomes by saving at specific points and altering your decisions - but for the most part you can achieve all the same things in every story whether you go the murder-hobo route or the save-all-the-people route. PAY ATTENTION TO THE EMPHASIS ON MOST- there are a few kills in the Trilogy games that will absolutely alter the outcome of that respective game. On the bright side, enough time has passed that you can probably look these up mostly spoiler-free.

I'd say Dragon Fall was my favorite story and Hong Kong had my favorite combat scenarios. Have fun!
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Salasker

Post by Salasker » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:55 am

Pretty much everything that Aelryn said. If you've never given the Genesis version a try, it's still among my most favourite video games of all time, the closest thing to an open world/sandbox you could get, in my opinion.

Harebrained did a really great job with the new ones though, and Dragon Fall is (again, in my opinion) the best of the three. I didn't like the change in the hacking for Hong Kong, but they're well worth playing a time or two, and there's some very good mods out there if you're interested in running other shadows.

See you there, chummer. And remember, never deal with a dragon. :D

Watchful Glare

Post by Watchful Glare » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:28 pm

I recommend Dragonfall, I think it was the best of the trio by far. Shadowrun Returns is far behind but still acceptable. And my least favorite was Hong Kong.
Biz here was a constant subliminal hum, and death the accepted punishment for laziness, carelessness, lack of grace, the failure to heed the demands of an intricate protocol.

Vespidae

Post by Vespidae » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:26 pm

Dragonfall is amazing. I really like hong kong but I got stuck in a buggy bit. Returns was... okay.

Artenides

Post by Artenides » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:12 am

Hey Chummer,

Shadowrun is awesome. We had played the table top version, I always loved the theme and the world. When they released the games I bought all three and while Hongkong has this nice atmosphere, I agree with others that Dragonfall was a bit better.
--
Plays as: [No active char atm]
"I am a software developer and a DnD nerd. That means I am equally qualified to deal with bugs and bugbears!"

Xantor_Stromgate
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Xantor_Stromgate » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:46 pm

Thanks for all the responses! I finished Shadowrun Returns a couple days ago. And, I agree, the game is very, very well-written. And, I like the Class, Race, Skill replay value for sure! On to Dragonfall!

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:09 am

The shadowrun games on steam are very good. Good story, good gameplay, and it doesn't harshly punish people for experimenting with builds unless you deliberately make something stupidly underpowered. Still manages to remain challenging at times, though.

Totally recommend playing them if you haven't already

ElvenEdibles

Post by ElvenEdibles » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:21 am

I absolutely looooove Dragonfall

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Kenji » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:43 am

Dragonfall has my favorite character of all times: Eiger

Xantor_Stromgate
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Xantor_Stromgate » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:56 pm

Kenji wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:43 am
Dragonfall has my favorite character of all times: Eiger
Already turning out that way for me as well!!!