Curiosity: how does people spend their awards

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Void

Re: Curiosity: how does people spend their awards

Post by Void » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:47 pm

All the minor awards I received were spent making nobles. That didn't make any difference in the long run, although now nobility actually unlocks some things compared to how it was before.

At some point of time Imps weren't Major Awards but some lower tier ones, so I made an imp, played it a bit, got bored with it and killed it, losing an award (award refund wasn't a thing back then).

Currently I have only one normal award and there's nothing to spend it on. So I'll probably just sit on it.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:56 am

Void wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:47 pm
Currently I have only one normal award and there's nothing to spend it on. So I'll probably just sit on it.
Decently spent on a human genasi, especially if you're more mechanically-inclined. Roleplay-wise? Fire and earth genasi are good fun.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:09 am

Hey all.

Just chiming in to say ECL awards are now completely trash tier bait.

Thanks for coming to my short tedX talk.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Security_Blanket

Post by Security_Blanket » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:36 pm

Personally, I don't care about any reward other than reduced ECL. Fancy races, classes or titles don't make the character, it's just fluff.

Draco Deleteur
Dreadlord Lucius Blackhand - "All is as Bane wills it."

Void

Post by Void » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:17 pm

Good Character wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:56 am
Void wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:47 pm
Decently spent on a human genasi, especially if you're more mechanically-inclined. Roleplay-wise? Fire and earth genasi are good fun.
Not my kind of thing at the moment, although earth genasi aren't bad and I played at least one in nwn2.

I'd play a tiefling, but those are major award.

Airport Proximity Jesus

Post by Airport Proximity Jesus » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:47 pm

Security_Blanket wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:36 pm
Personally, I don't care about any reward other than reduced ECL. Fancy races, classes or titles don't make the character, it's just fluff.
I'm of the opinion that the more monstrous/freaky choices are super fun. Imps, fairies, ogres, minotaurs? Very cool. Cant exactly just make a human to rp out similar concepts
8-) Cool kids wear shades during the endless night 8-)

Security_Blanket

Post by Security_Blanket » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:43 pm

Airport Proximity Jesus wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:47 pm
Security_Blanket wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:36 pm
I'm of the opinion that the more monstrous/freaky choices are super fun. Imps, fairies, ogres, minotaurs? Very cool. Cant exactly just make a human to rp out similar concepts
Why not? I don't need to play a Dragon Disciple for my character to be deluded into believing he IS a Dragon. I can do that with a simple human sorcerer or even a commoner if I felt so inclined. Everyone wants something special, everyone wants to stand out, but you don't need a bunch of nonsensical fluff to pull that off, it's just a crutch. You want to play a character that is persecuted like a tiefling? Then just make a half-orc and have them grow up in a place full of bigots. I find you can always pull off the character concept you're looking for as a plain and ordinary human, might just take some imagination. Less is more, I've spent all my rewards from Major to Normal on reduced ECL and it was well worth it imho.

Draco Deleteur
Dreadlord Lucius Blackhand - "All is as Bane wills it."

Void

Post by Void » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:10 pm

Security_Blanket wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:43 pm
Why not? I don't need to play a Dragon Disciple
Believing that you're a dragon is not the same thing as actually being one.

You're thinking about generic concepts or character archetypes. For example, "betrayer" can be of any race. However, a concept can also be defined "Minotaur". In this case you can't substitute the race with another one, as it is a defining characteristic of the character/idea.

Half orc does not work as a substitute for a tiefling either as the background comes with completely different perks.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:39 am

I like to spend a few months slowly putting together a beloved greater/major award character so that when, after years of playing my current beloved character, I -delete them and I get a normal, I can optimize my disappointment.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:19 am

As a surface-only player, greater awards go to elf/horc gensai or yuan-ti, normal awards go to human gensai or maybe a language, and minor awards go to Noble or language, and I never got a Major award but honestly if I had one I'd sit on it for years and then waste it on something I'd regret after 2 weeks, like most players really, so yeah...
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Duchess Says

Post by Duchess Says » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:13 pm

To be totally honest... In hindsight I wish I'd have kept a lot of characters I rolled instead of deleting them for awards.

Nurel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nurel » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:03 am

Currently sitting on a normal award which I would spend to make

-wild dwarf or forest gnome
-gnoll
-a fancy language for a new character concept

So far I am pretty stoked with my active characters and don't see myself using it anytime soon

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:32 pm

AstralUniverse wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:19 am
if I had one I'd sit on it for years and then waste it on something I'd regret after 2 weeks, like most players really, so yeah...
Truth.