Snake totem shape can have a better model

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

xf1313

Snake totem shape can have a better model

Post by xf1313 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:35 am

I was playing in the Arena and the beast master unleashed a Massive cobra on me, that thing was magnificent and I thought: I’d like a ranger with that! Testing in PGCC resulted in a plain, small snake. It would be great if larger model can be used. And encourage more people pick snake totem as well. Currently parrot is fun, they can speak a bit in non-animal language XD.
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

Echohawk
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Snake totem shape can have a better model

Post by Echohawk » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:32 pm

A few of the various totems could have skins actually. Given that they did skins for the familiars I wonder if a script could be allowed for totems to select a different skin?
Ravens, parrot, and eagle totems I can understand are probably going to be similar, although reskinning either to say a seagull would be.. charming.

Bear has black and polar variations, there's like four different snake colors iirc, spiders have bunches, wolves could have worg, fen, timber, bat is gonna bat probably. What else. Cats, lordy the cats jaguars, tigers, 'lion/cougar', snow cat. Rat might be a variety of other small pest critters even like the various beetles perhaps and others.

Don't know that it'll happen but it's been a desired idea from the community for some time.
Arelith Discord: https://discord.gg/mAm8M3T
Echohawk#0623
Availability - Whenever, Sweden (GMT+1)

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:44 pm

I actually started a thread on this within the last couple months. The totem system in general is old and can use a rehaul but I feel like snake is the biggest problem given the existence of much better snake models in the game.

While I really do want to make that edgy beetle ranger and there's a cool arctic panther that goes sadly unused the snake is in a whole other league in terms of missed opportunities. It's a cute little garter snake. Arelith has freaking cobras.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:54 am

I think the problem is...ranger...and maybe your level? The default model for snake totems is, in Arelith terms, "snake, cobra". Size, at least on Druids, scales with levels, starting small and scaling to much larger. You are pretty much stuck with exactly what your asking for, though I'm not sure your argument is wrong.

Many of us would like to see a modest Totem update (I'm not asking for a rework myself) along the lines of what Echohawk outlined. Here I would suggest something along the lines of say...the Yuan-Ti Menu...which allows you to choose the type of snake you want to change into. I personally woulld be thrilled if this were available on any Totem Animal with multiple models. In other words, if you were a bear Totem, you could still only turn into bears, but you could choose any type/skin of bear in the toolset (Artic, Dire, Brown, etc.)
Last edited by RedGiant on Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

yoimtide

Post by yoimtide » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:09 am

I would love if totem shapes had a 'stream' like effect, except with finding totems either as loot drops or FOIG unlocks - similar to how bard songs work, each form would have minor little unique buffs that make them worthwhile to have and add versatility to the shapes and being a totem druid just made them marginally stronger to encourage more time spent in those non elemental forms.

Just a shower thought though. Model updates would go a long way - totem druids are a lot of RP fun.
I usually play from 6pm - 9:30pm Australian Eastern Standard Time on surface characters. If your timezone is similar, feel free to hit me up for writs or RP. More varied play times on weekends.

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:08 am

RedGiant wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:54 am
I think the problem is...ranger...and maybe your level? The default model for snake totems is, in Arelith terms, "snake, cobra". Size, at least on Druids, scales with levels, starting small and scaling to much larger. You are pretty much stuck with exactly what your asking for, though I'm not sure your argument is wrong.

Many of us would like to see a modest Totem update (I'm not asking for a rework myself) along the lines of what Echohawk outlined. Here I would suggest something along the lines of say...the Yuan-Ti Menu...which allows you to choose the type of snake you want to change into. I personally woulld be thrilled if this were available on any Totem Animals with multiple models. In other words, if you were a bear Totem, you could still only turn into bears, but you could choose any type/skin of bear in the toolset (Artic, Dire, Brown, etc.)
I tried on lv 30 ranger, the familiar is still...the tiny snake as it was. I hope they increase in size or gets update after epic level.

But perhaps the summoned totem would be different? It was the case for totem Druid I meet in game, but...that one was raven shaped elder elemental, ranger cannot get that I believe

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:21 am

Tested again on snake totem, so ranger gets small snake all along the way, snake Druid gets a slightly larger totem snake shape, still, nothing like the huge A..... something people find close to the Yanti mound. I would also love the multiple skin option. Won’t be too much work but adds so much fun.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:23 pm

xf1313 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:21 am
Won’t be too much work but adds so much fun.
That's how I feel. I'm joining the campaign for real snakes.

DEV TEAM, WE BELIEVE IN YOU!!!