Writer's Block: What should I do with my character?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Good Character

Writer's Block: What should I do with my character?

Post by Good Character » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:07 pm

Been hitting a gnarly writer's block for a while. While my character has an established backstory, I'm lacking inspiration and direction for him. I'm looking for suggestions on what to do because he's a pretty fresh character and I've invested a lot of man hours into him (I'm a horrible min-maxer).

Backstory: Fire genasi half-orc raised by initially bregrudingly human farmers - neither biological parents. Not at all charismatic due to being outcasted for his two abnormal heritages, so he's taken to the few books he had access to. With his genasi heritage he's taken to wizadry, specifically as a spellsword.

Fast forward to present day. A guard for a major settlement on Arelith, and a merchant.

Aradin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Writer's Block: What should I do with my character?

Post by Aradin » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:56 pm

As a general rule if you're ever short on things to do, I've found that you can just ask the people your character knows if they have any plots or quests they're involved with at the moment. They'll be more than likely to welcome you in and get you involved.
Here are a few other ideas for ya!

The Private Eye: Every settlement on Arelith has villains and criminals to deal with. Some settlements even maintain archives and dossiers on these people; for example, the Cordor barracks has a large historical archive. If you're a guard, then browse through the old records or talk to your superiors to find out who these villains are - then engage on a quest to bring them to justice.

The Military Man: If not hunting down villains like the suggestion above, find ways to contribute and improve to the military of the settlement you're a guard in. Maybe this is in the form of organizing a military event like war games with another settlement's military, training new recruits via roleplay (an arena sparring session, perhaps) or helping new blood complete writs.
Alternately get involved in the politics of the military. Guard leaders don't always see eye to eye with settlement leaders; is there an opportunity to insert yourself and mediate? Alternately, you could intentionally exacerbate the disconnect so as to sabotage your superior, then try to install yourself in their place.

The Pilgrim: Find someone well-versed in planar travel and make a pilgrimage to the Plane of Fire to see your heritage. Along the way ask any planar travelers you work with what their deal is; maybe they have a plot you can jump into.

The Half-Breed: I'm currently playing in the Underdark so not 100% sure, but I think the Half-Breed Camp has got some active characters at the moment. Even an outcast like you might be able to find some plots with the other half-orcs there.

The Muscle: Spellswords are stronk. Make public posts on the boards around the isle hiring yourself out as muscle. If you know of factions that could reasonably use muscle, like merchant guilds, try to talk to those people directly and arrange a deal.

The Greenhorn: There are lots of factions all around Arelith, and without even knowing them or what they do I can guarantee that nearly every single one of them wants to have you involved. If you've a lack of things to do, joining a new faction can provide some plot hooks.

Hope this helps.

Was Lloyd Grimm, Sai Aung-K'yi, Stink Spellworped, Ikarus, and Revyn the White.

Wethrinea

Post by Wethrinea » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:00 pm

Some questions on the top of my head:

1) Why is he a guard now? Was it the only place that would accept him? If so, how does he feel about that? Disdain or dedication?
2) Is he motivated primarily by money (Guard and merchant)? Or does he have loftier motivations and aspirations? I have played a few mercenary characters, and it is a very flexible concept to run with.
3) How does being not only a half-breed but also a genasi affect his world view? Is he curious about the genasi heritage? Is that why he took up arcane studies?
4) What does he want from life? Wealth? Acceptance? To be judged on his actions rather than heritage?
Ivar Ferdamann - Mercenary turned Marshall

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:06 pm

Aradin wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:56 pm
Appreciate the ideas! I might do a little of the Private Eye and Half-Breed combo in a way.

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:21 pm

My tried-and-true method for dealing with writer's block is to go to all of my character's acquaintances, see what they're doing, and see how I can get involved in helping them with their own plots. We are all NPCs in everyone else's stories, and it can be very rewarding to explicitly fill that role for someone for a time.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

Gonagul

Post by Gonagul » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:43 pm

Make a rival in the guard.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:15 pm

idk I think your character is a pretty normal view in the setting. I say this as a good thing. You might have a writer's block but you respect the setting and RP a character (with or without inspiration, you're still RPing) so if you're enjoying the game, just stick to that. Keep it simple. Merchant, Guard, some kind of simple goal like "be very rich" or "be famous and feared". I think that sometimes people can feel like their RP is shallow but it anything *but* shallow sometimes since they are immersive and promote other people's plots and just respect the setting. Simply respecting the setting and trying to really see the world through a character's eyes can make you very memorable to others without you even knowing it. So the only question is whether or not you're enjoying the game while having a writer's block or not. Being a good writer shouldnt be a condition imo.

Another thing, never be afraid to 'lose'. I see a lot of people (including myself sometimes) keeping low profile and avoiding drama while they have writer's block or just wanna play light-core for a bit. So they just avoid doing things that piss people off and nothing bad ever happens to them. Then they kinda dont know what do with the character after a while. So maybe try diving into something really decisively extreme one way or another, that will likely get your character disliked by some and respected by others, with a risk of it exploding badly for your character.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

DM Monkey
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Monkey » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:58 am

Roll it, start fresh!

Try harder! Help set a good example of roleplay for the server culture.

Royal Blood

Post by Royal Blood » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:16 pm

Do something IC that rocks the boat. Find a reason that fits your character on why they might take a controversial action or something. Rock that boooat. There's almost always a political stance that can be taken that creates tension without resorting to PvP.

There's a lot of avenues wizard wise. Maybe as a mage you're against Wild Mages because they're nuts. Or out to end elemental summoning. Or maybe using the gensai heritage to forge something.

As a half orc.... There's always angles on supporting other half orcs. But idk I think that is a fairly common goal.

Last, maybe some sort of quest. Maybe he wants to planar travel to the fire realm to commune with a god or elemental being? Maybe he wants to bring something as a sacrifice to the elemental realm to honor his heritage.
I am not on a team.
I do not win, I do not lose.
I tell a story, and when I'm lucky,
Play a part in the story you tell too.

fulminea

Post by fulminea » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:28 am

Make him discover Bane.

Arienette
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Arienette » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:14 pm

I agree with a lot of what AstralUniverse said.

If you have a solid character that you like, but don’t currently have a plan for? Just keep doing what you are doing. Be a very active and reliable guard. Actively merchant, go out and buy and sell face to face, etc. Make your character a solid member of whatever settlement you are in.

If you do that, chances are, things will likely start happening to your character. Other character will seek you out for their plot lines or you will accidentally find yourself in the middle of them.

As you do this, you will also likely find a direction to move your character. You will find a villain to be your arch nemesis or you will find some opening that makes sense for your character to pursue.

Curve

Post by Curve » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:13 pm

When I have writers block or can't get excited to play a character or the game, I don't log in. Playing Arelith just to be doing something saps my soul dry. Forcing it for me leads to really boring and uninspired roleplay. Go for a walk, read a book, call your grandmother.