Warding a public place?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

-XXX-

Re: Warding a public place?

Post by -XXX- » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:21 pm

Party in the forest at midnight wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:09 pm
It seems like in this case it's a few people stacking them for memes because warlocks get special vfx, which makes this uniquely an Andunor problem. Maybe just deal with the individuals doing that.
As has been mentioned numerous times in this thread, the ward reapplies the vfx under certain circumstances, so it's more likely that this is caused by people simply not being mindful with their ward placement rather than doing this intentionally.
Furthermore, there's a ward floating around the navy recruitment desk in Cordor's Government District square every single time I go there - so no, this most definitely isn't just an Andunor problem.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:34 pm

Did you see the screenshot? There were several warlock wards stacked on top of each other. This is what I am referring to.

msheeler
Contributor
Contributor

Post by msheeler » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:39 pm

Simple suggestion here . . .

Appling -ward in any area removes all other -wards OR it fails if the area currently has a -ward in it.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:46 pm

msheeler wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:39 pm
Simple suggestion here . . .

Appling -ward in any area removes all other -wards OR it fails if the area currently has a -ward in it.
Except -ward has PvP use, I don't think that's a good solution.

msheeler
Contributor
Contributor

Post by msheeler » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:51 pm

So what happens if you enter an area PvP and -ward is up? Do others try to then drop their own -ward?

I see your -ward and raise you a -ward!

MischeviousMeerkat

Post by MischeviousMeerkat » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:47 pm

Party in the forest at midnight wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:34 pm
Did you see the screenshot? There were several warlock wards stacked on top of each other. This is what I am referring to.
This would still happen. It's a visual bug that can be replicated by entering an area multiple times when in reality there's only one -ward.

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:54 pm

Why are they different colors then?
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:21 am

msheeler wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:51 pm
So what happens if you enter an area PvP and -ward is up? Do others try to then drop their own -ward?

I see your -ward and raise you a -ward!
Yes, because ward also has pvp value by stunning or paralyzing enemies that entire the circle.

It isn't solely anti-scry.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

ElvenEdibles

Post by ElvenEdibles » Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:30 pm

Occasionally when I come into Cordor and see the vfx it causes my PC to stutter. I'm not sure why it does sometimes and why it doesn't others, but I'm starting to find it pretty obnoxious.

Aellowyn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Aellowyn » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:34 am

For all those that mentioned the annoyance of the wards, I would like to offer a completely in character and for some, possibly, amusing solution for such obvious and public warding.

Forgive me if this is FOIG info, but....

If the wards are stacked and super annoying, subjecting you to annoyance, being in public they could also be subjected to a very annoying dispel.

As an underdarker not happy with being annoyed by a pesky mages constant ward, I'd have no problem dispelling it.

Even an AoE would destroy it, except for the part that those in the screenshot are being put on the portal, where an AoE would violate the rules.

Which brings me to the issue that it is placed on a portal and if the caster chooses they could just -hostile and cut off someone's retreat through a leyline, which I personally don't like. That ruling is left to DMs though.

<redacted> Main
<redacted> Drow Alt
<redacted> Slave Alt
<redacted> Elf Alt
<rolled> Barbaric Elf Alt
<redacted> Alts of alts alt

DM Monkey
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Monkey » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:47 am

DM Monkey wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:40 am
I consider this very poor form. Wards should not be placed over source portals unless there's an immediate (TEMPORARY) reason to do so.
Just to recap for you.

Try harder! Help set a good example of roleplay for the server culture.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:44 am

Aellowyn wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:34 am
If the wards are stacked and super annoying, subjecting you to annoyance, being in public they could also be subjected to a very annoying dispel.

As an underdarker not happy with being annoyed by a pesky mages constant ward, I'd have no problem dispelling it.
Thing is, people often drop the ward close to NPCs, so that dispelling it would come at a risk of hitting the NPCs with the dispel AoE and setting them hostile.

cornelius_4
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by cornelius_4 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:28 pm

I kind of like the hum it makes. For a while anyway, I do eventually tire of it.

If it's possible to turn down the volume of the hum it makes and maybe lower the brightness a bit, that sounds like a neat solution.

I do hope it isn't removed entirely, it is one of the fancy things to look at and hear sometimes.

Is it possible to do with overrides maybe?

Inordinate
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Inordinate » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:17 pm

cornelius_4 wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:28 pm
I kind of like the hum it makes. For a while anyway, I do eventually tire of it.

If it's possible to turn down the volume of the hum it makes and maybe lower the brightness a bit, that sounds like a neat solution.

I do hope it isn't removed entirely, it is one of the fancy things to look at and hear sometimes.

Is it possible to do with overrides maybe?
viewtopic.php?p=227143#p227143
If need there comes to shelter my ship on the flood;
The wind I calm upon the waves, and the sea I put to sleep