Forgotten DnD Classes

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Waldo52

Forgotten DnD Classes

Post by Waldo52 » Thu May 26, 2022 8:50 pm

There are a million wacky classes that never made it into Neverwinter Nights.

Scout

Who's even heard of the scout? It's basically a cousin of the rogue/ranger/swashbuckler type classes that specializes in moving fast, hit and run tactics, etc.

Artificer

A weird pseudo-caster that focuses on retrofuturistic technology and that sort of thing.

Dread Necromancer

'nuff said.

Arcane Trickster

Magical rogues, kind of like sneak attacking spellswords in PrC form.. Sort of

Frenzied Berserker

Basically a barbarian on crack

Alienist

A Lovecraftian summoner that conjures some really disturbing things without the traditional devil/demon/undead flavor.

I've actually heard some people talk about artificers and dread necros, but I mentioned a few of these because they get no press or I haven't thought of them in a decade. This isn't a suggestion thread, more of a nostalgia thing or a "what if?"

What are some of your favorite unused or forgotten classes?

Security_Blanket

Re: Forgotten DnD Classes

Post by Security_Blanket » Thu May 26, 2022 9:31 pm

A favorite of mine from Baldur's Gate II was the Wizard Slayer, which I'm still hoping will eventually be a path available to Fighters.

Draco Deleteur
Dreadlord Lucius Blackhand - "All is as Bane wills it."

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Thu May 26, 2022 10:59 pm

I love this thread. Some of my favorite quirky D&D classes from 3.X:

Archivist - Base Class. Seekers of esoteric sources of divine lore, wherever those sources might be, securing those secrets for themselves and their fellow scholars. Essentially, they're Intelligence-based Divine Casters with prayerbooks (spells are learned exactly like wizards, but divine).

Corrupt Avenger - Prestige Class. Non-evil avengers with a Taint Corruption mechanic. I could see Arelith adding synergy between its Sworn Foe and the Ranger's Favored Enemy.

Death Delver - Prestige Class. Experienced delvers who have had close encounters with death and undead. I could easily see Kelemvorites play this class, but evil characters may also benefit from it

Tainted Scholar - Prestige Class. One of my personal favorites, the Tainted Scholar also has a Taint mechanic, much like the Corrupt Avenger. Can substitute spell components with their own blood, which on Arelith would make some interesting roleplay.

Dread Witch - Prestige Class. Caster that focuses entirely on their fear spells and abilities. They would be the perfect candidate to make full use of Arelith's extended fear system.

There are loads others, but I tried picking some that weren't too restrictive in race, alignment, and patron deity. The only one that has an alignment restriction is the Corrupt Avenger, which requires you to be non-evil. There are so many potentials with these 😊

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Thu May 26, 2022 11:09 pm

Most options can be "created" with existing options. The one that I'd like to see that is mechanically unique is dragon shaman (and/or some kind of warlord) which is based on auras
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Ping14
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Ping14 » Fri May 27, 2022 12:46 am

Magic User - Wait what? What kind of magic?

A Druid Cleric - Ooookay, you have got to be kidding me. You mean a druid that multiclassed to cleric right?

Dwarf, Elf, Halfling - Well that's just silly, those aren't classes, they're races!

Remember all your quarters when you're still a kid?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBZMzyzgN3k

RustingWithYou

Post by RustingWithYou » Fri May 27, 2022 2:10 am

Warlord my beloved.....
Characters:

Lorenda Gald Wandering the Outlands
Jek Shadowclaw
Vel'zinnia Athol In a land where the sun does not burn
Tarok Thrice-Drowned

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Fri May 27, 2022 4:30 am

Going to cheat a bit and mention Pathfinder's Alchemist. Bombs, mutagens (gives self bonuses and penalties), modifications to both of the former for a good bit of customization, and 6th level spellcasting (silent/stilled as they drink "extracts"). Very mad scientist feel.

DM Avalon Soul
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Avalon Soul » Fri May 27, 2022 4:59 am

Fatespinner. (I harp on this one but it was a cool Casting class)
"How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame; for one person, in the dark, where no one will ever know or see. " -- Sebaestian, Babylon 5

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Fri May 27, 2022 5:04 am

xanrael wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 4:30 am
Going to cheat a bit and mention Pathfinder's Alchemist. Bombs, mutagens (gives self bonuses and penalties), modifications to both of the former for a good bit of customization, and 6th level spellcasting (silent/stilled as they drink "extracts"). Very mad scientist feel.
I was going to mention this plus the witch, inquisitor and eldritch scoundrel. But them copyrights. : (

LovelyLightningWitch

Post by LovelyLightningWitch » Fri May 27, 2022 5:48 am

Divine Bard.

Technically possible here, if you take Gift of Devotion as bard since it only really enables you to consecrate stuff.

Alyxnia

Post by Alyxnia » Fri May 27, 2022 5:51 am

Not to hijack, but I wish that Arelith would port over some more prestige classes instead of fiddling about with "synergy" between things like Blackguard, Cavalier, etc. Where are all the cool 3/3.5e Prestige classes like Mystic Theurge, Eldritch Knight, etc. ?
Player of
  • Neli Ore - Flew too close to the sun
  • Trouble Brightwood - Missing 411'd
  • Avdotia Zakharova / "Hathran" - Finished her investigations
  • Ghashburz Swordeater - In search of honor
Dead but not gone

fading

Post by fading » Fri May 27, 2022 5:58 am

LovelyLightningWitch wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 5:48 am
Divine Bard.
Fairly certain you can do this with a bard/cleric(evangelist) build, no?

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Kenji » Fri May 27, 2022 8:05 am

Alyxnia wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 5:51 am
Not to hijack, but I wish that Arelith would port over some more prestige classes instead of fiddling about with "synergy" between things like Blackguard, Cavalier, etc. Where are all the cool 3/3.5e Prestige classes like Mystic Theurge, Eldritch Knight, etc. ?
One can always ask Irongron and apply to become a code contributor to help speed up the process of discussing, designing, balancing, and coding for the prestige classes.

Alyxnia

Post by Alyxnia » Fri May 27, 2022 5:15 pm

Kenji wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:05 am
Alyxnia wrote:
One can always ask Irongron and apply to become a code contributor to help speed up the process of discussing, designing, balancing, and coding for the prestige classes.
Yeah maybe if I had the time to do so and any familiarity with coding I could.
Player of
Dead but not gone

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Fri May 27, 2022 7:00 pm

Alyxnia wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 5:15 pm
Kenji wrote:
Alyxnia wrote:
We can always have the time if we manage it well enough, otherwise, we wouldn't be here discussing something we all love and play.

The willingness to learn a new skill set and not impose a handicap on self, however, is far more optional than most realize.

Mattamue
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Mattamue » Fri May 27, 2022 7:14 pm

Who is the audience for this post?

Northern Kings

Post by Northern Kings » Fri May 27, 2022 7:15 pm

I feel that any class that's added has to bring a distinct playstyle, theme, and mechanic to it.

That being said...

1) Artificer - Infuses items with bonuses primarily

2) Psion - We have psionic energy types. There are different playstyles and themes psionics could allow for. It'd be distinct from magic, likely work in anti-magic fields, but have its own restrictions and capitalize on some of the new damage types

This could include - Soul Knife, Psychic Warrior, etc.

3) Archmage - A PRC that might make wizards a bit less kinda bad?

4) Red Wizard - a PRC that might make wizards a bit less kinda bad?

5) Binder - Distinct from warlocks, binding to different patrons gives different bonuses at different times

6) Truenamer - This would be a class that could technically function vastly differently from most magic classes because it focuses around words and the powers of words.

7) Shadow Caster - Distinctly different from one who uses the shadow weave, this focuses on special secrets that allows them to do what they do

8) Beguiler - Making illusion magic viable!

Alyxnia

Post by Alyxnia » Fri May 27, 2022 8:40 pm

Kenji wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:00 pm
Alyxnia wrote:
Kenji wrote:

We can always have the time if we manage it well enough, otherwise, we wouldn't be here discussing something we all love and play.

The willingness to learn a new skill set and not impose a handicap on self, however, is far more optional than most realize.
Alright, Monday afternoon you're going to start giving me lessons on coding for NWN/Arelith. You too, Mattamue.
Player of
Dead but not gone

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Fri May 27, 2022 10:20 pm

Alyxnia wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:40 pm
Kenji wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:00 pm
Alyxnia wrote:

Alright, Monday afternoon you're going to start giving me lessons on coding for NWN/Arelith. You too, Mattamue.
Where do I sign up for this class? 😁

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:51 pm

That give me memories of the millions of prc classes that I never tried

Child of night, that was fun to be transparent lol
Some more buff to pure , 4HD casters maybe? epic spells for pure wizard/sourcer pls, the one I loved most has permanent haste and invisiblity on caster. There are so many others that are cool and give wizards something...

Skullclan hunter, I never know why but I think this is fun
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:21 am

Deep Diviners and Auspicians ❤️

Terenfel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Terenfel » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:03 pm

Better yet, the three classes from Tome of Battle, Swordsage, Crusader, and Warblade. (or just one of them, they are so cool.)

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:25 am

Northern Kings wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:15 pm
I feel that any class that's added has to bring a distinct playstyle, theme, and mechanic to it.

That being said...

1) Artificer - Infuses items with bonuses primarily

2) Psion - We have psionic energy types. There are different playstyles and themes psionics could allow for. It'd be distinct from magic, likely work in anti-magic fields, but have its own restrictions and capitalize on some of the new damage types

This could include - Soul Knife, Psychic Warrior, etc.

3) Archmage - A PRC that might make wizards a bit less kinda bad?

4) Red Wizard - a PRC that might make wizards a bit less kinda bad?

5) Binder - Distinct from warlocks, binding to different patrons gives different bonuses at different times

6) Truenamer - This would be a class that could technically function vastly differently from most magic classes because it focuses around words and the powers of words.

7) Shadow Caster - Distinctly different from one who uses the shadow weave, this focuses on special secrets that allows them to do what they do

8) Beguiler - Making illusion magic viable!
*Reads "artificer"*

*Learns to code*