Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

dominantdrowess
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Back in my day ...

Post by dominantdrowess » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:46 am

Memes at its finest wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:16 pm
back in my day you could troll someone by walking when they tried to yoink you, and brick their yoink until a reset of the server
Back in my day, you could yoink someone, and then scry a settlement leader, and when they accepted the yoink it would teleport them to that person's location inside their locked guildhall.

This was of course reported and fixed immediately.. but if you think about it: This was around for much of Arelith's history and nobody noticed. xD

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:11 am

Hmm.. There used to be a player who had a major reward succubus, whom was one of the very few characters to reach epics with a "special skin" back in jjjerm's time.
Most mindflayers, beholder and whatever else people picked as a major reward was never played that consistently to reach epics.
The main reason was a constant flow of tells, about what made your major reward special from random curious players.
The second reason was that envy from other players was rampant, so they often got killed a lot at low levels. - you know back when death ment something and leveling was a challenge.
DMs would even go as far as you try to kill you with overpowered spawns, if they spotted you farming an area to much.

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:06 pm

Back in my day, everyone would make basic appraise gear then buy healing kits in Cordor and sell them in Wharftown (by taking the boat) for double the price. There were some other lucrative routes too. Then we would make AutoHotkey macros to sell the kits for us because it physically hurt to sell that much. We had to use int buffs to reroll our prices for maximum profit. I used to dedicate an evening to grinding 500k on all my new characters so I could get full enchants. And the funny thing is that using appraise this way was an INTENDED FEATURE.

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:12 pm

Liareth wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:06 pm
Back in my day, everyone would make basic appraise gear then buy healing kits in Cordor and sell them in Wharftown (by taking the boat) for double the price. There were some other lucrative routes too. Then we would make AutoHotkey macros to sell the kits for us because it physically hurt to sell that much. We had to use int buffs to reroll our prices for maximum profit. I used to dedicate an evening to grinding 500k on all my new characters so I could get full enchants. And the funny thing is that using appraise this way was an INTENDED FEATURE.
I still have some of that gear. Had it as a fish club before they removed the model. +1 appraise on it. Got crazy offers from people to buy it.

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:57 pm

"Back in my day ..."

The server had room for 60 players, and when it was that many, there was a devastating lag.
The only way to get to Brogendenstein was through the Crystal Caves. Few could pass the dragon.
There were super mega deadly wild elf archers in Forest of Despair.
The swamp witch routinely made statues of attackers. (And you always forgot a stone to flesh scroll).
Jhared's Outpost! Need I say more?

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Diegovog

Post by Diegovog » Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:19 pm

Back in my day you needed line of sight of the mobs to gain xp.
So you missed the majority of it unless you were a frontliner going first through doors. There was a lot of shoving and pushing near mobs in corners.
And summons/Familiars gave a huge penalty to the xp.

HeyLadyOfDecay
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by HeyLadyOfDecay » Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:28 pm

Cuchilla wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:57 pm
"Back in my day ..."

The swamp witch routinely made statues of attackers. (And you always forgot a stone to flesh scroll).
This was so much fun. I miss RPing *Is being an amazing statue*
Lyann Reyer. Back by demand.
(Mass grave of other characters)

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:13 pm

Ha ha, yeah, and the irritating message on the screen: Do you want to log off, or wait? (Or something like that)

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Skeletor
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Skeletor » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:20 pm

Back in my day, there was no rule about leaving traps on people's doorsteps unattended.

So I was this big villain leader who was becoming infamous for kidnapping & torturing everyone's favorite heroes in my dungeon of evil (Which for some reason was more popular with the prisoners, (they kept thanking me for the RP? :shock: ) and the next day I go out my guildhouse door and step on a trap for 199 electrical damage. I cast heal, take another step and get 204 electrical damage. I cast heal, and step another time, and get 187 electrical damage (I still have the log).

I went into the forum and complained, and the dms of that time told me it was all legal, so I had to go back and cast a ton of skeleton summons to clear my front lawn of the gazillion traps someone had put in there.

Someone wanted me very dead!!!!! :? :? :?

Skeletor
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Skeletor » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:25 pm

Back in the day, call lightning did 1d6's normally but 1d10's outside while raining, but it was bugged so it did d10's 100% of the time.

My druidess had a million extra lvl 3 spellsplots and all metamagics to cast that spell in still, empower and maximized form and would cast it nonstop. She was dealing more dps than wizards and they struggled to understand how I was doing it, they thought all of the call lightings were empowered or something.

Skeletor
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Skeletor » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:30 pm

Back in my day, finding shifters was a common occurrence, and you would try to help them level up but they would be relentlessly killed by mobs because or have to play defense because of how underpowered the class was/is.
They were still cool tho.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:55 pm

Back in my day Cordor had multiple districts all "ruled" by different players fighting for control over the city in the streets almost daily.

HeyLadyOfDecay
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by HeyLadyOfDecay » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:27 am

Back in my day; part 2.

There was this dungeon that would open by collecting bones from a few small dungeons and bringing them togetter in a coffin.

There was a character named Hammer Smashface, I mean, We have never reached that height of naming ever again.

Abel Nightroad taught us all that the DM team was not into Anime (character name rules joke, I don't know the reason behind it.)

My first character had the most cringe worthy name ever. I shamefully admit, I played Natas Reficul.

Good times.
Lyann Reyer. Back by demand.
(Mass grave of other characters)

Algol

Post by Algol » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:29 am

Not sure if someone already wrote it but I remember backgrounds. And I miss them. :(

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:46 am

Back in my day I played a Necromancer that camped the Cordor Crypts boss room and killed Paladins.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:04 am

Back in my day when the server split happened masterly damask was +1 ab + 3 dmg.

Gillesbreton

Post by Gillesbreton » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:52 am

Back in my day…
JJrm used the then NPC leader of Cordor Lord Ventari to give Assassin PrC quests.

Cordor had a thieves-guild guild house in the sewers which ended up being held by non-thieves guild players. This was very sad.
Duvain Yantul
Lani Thrul
Seliena Var’kor
Indori Nevarr
Sago Teas

User: ShaleStone - pre-EE.
Played on Arelith since split with Amia.

AdreannaDrea

Post by AdreannaDrea » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:37 am

Liareth wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:06 pm

You say this like you and I didn't spend literal HOURS doing this (and then going circle grinding for a further 4+ hours) >.>

I never did use macros though. I thought we would get banned. Life was pain.

look...

Currently Playing:
Kethra Stormwind

Previous:
Nadara el Khalyd (Belford)
Alaunthrae Zau'rahel
Kerenza Massalan
Jenna Gaskell
Nathyria Angevin
Kalina 'Storm' Star

Alyxnia

Post by Alyxnia » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:19 pm

AdreannaDrea wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:37 am
You say this like you and I didn't spend literal HOURS doing this (and then going circle grinding for a further 4+ hours) >.>
Back in the hazy mists of some time pre 2008 a friend and I discovered that casting continual flame on a basic dagger from the Cordor Smith would count as an enchantment. We made our appraise gear, spent every coon we could on daggers, and then went to the arena to cast continual flame on a full inventories worth of daggers. After a grueling day of that we were millionaires, and not too long after we were warned that this was an "exploit", had our characters bank accounts wiped and their levels reduced to 1 and we're warned that our rpr would be reduced to 0 if we ever messed up again.
Player of
  • Neli Ore - Flew too close to the sun
  • Trouble Brightwood - Missing 411'd
  • Avdotia Zakharova / "Hathran" - Finished her investigations
  • Ghashburz Swordeater - In search of honor
Dead but not gone

HallsOfValhalla

Post by HallsOfValhalla » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:34 pm

Back in my day. Udos was a thriving city full of players that represented true
Drow society. When devs, DM's and Admin were some of the most feared Drow. It was so intense that players complained and utterly destroyed the glory of Udos.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:12 pm

HallsOfValhalla wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:34 pm
Drow society. When devs, DM's and Admin were some of the most feared Drow. It was so intense that players complained and utterly destroyed the glory of Udos.
:lol:

facesmash

Post by facesmash » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:41 am

HallsOfValhalla wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:34 pm
Yooo it might get deleted, but spitting fire and facts. This was my day as well.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:51 am

Your facts sounds like revisionist history for the select few.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:55 am

That's a weird topic.
Udos had been a rather toxic environment when percieved through the lens of today's culture and sensibilities. But that could be said about the rest of the server as well. Gaming culture in general had been much more abrasive back then*.

I wonder what are people going to say about the current culture of the community in the next 10 years, if Arelith lasts that long.

EDIT:
-------------------------------------------------------
*given this a bit more thought I believe that this might not be entirely accurate. People have simply become better at keeping their grievances and resentment bottled up and confined within the boundaries of private discord echo chambers instead of venting them publically, but who knows?
It's likely that at some point in the future discord too will get replaced by something new and then somebody manages to dig up all those private discords from the forgotten corners of the internet to lay them bare for all to see.
Maybe then we might be reminded that the more things change, the more they stay the same (I'd even go as far as to say that the grievances that people have against today's Andunor are practically the same ones that people had against Udos - just a food for thought)

Also, I fully understand that not everybody enjoyed the infant days of Arelith Underdark (I totally get that and why that might've been the case), but some people liked it nevertheless and chose to remember the fun stuff. Why bash at that?

Diegovog

Post by Diegovog » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:08 am

Please, please, don't let this one fun and nostalgic topic degrade into udos and discord rant...