OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Back in my day ...

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:34 am

Round 2, I suppose!

Back in my day, Kensai and True Flames were too cool for potions. 8-)
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:39 am

perma-haste kensai... gods..

25 monk 5 fighter(vanilla) with full plate, towershield and scimitar was basically a fighter that drops 3 bab and some excess unnecessary feats to get a huge boost to saves, immunities (mind immunity too) and loads of spell resistance. and yes, I played that into epics (which was an accomplishment on it's own back in those times).
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Grunf

Post by Grunf » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:13 pm

Back in my day i used to be the only logged person on UD server for several hours in Pit Town....with sometimes Spets.😂🤠

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:29 pm

Back in my day as a noob, wharftown went boom. I know opinions on this from players older than I range from good riddance to wharftown was a utopia and it was the saddest day in the server's history. I don't know which is right, but i suspect its somewhere in the middle.

Either way, as a new player that was forewarned by players who came before me that i knew from other servers that arelith was a stagnant place that revolves around endless pvp wars, I thought it going boom was amazing and is probably the sole reason I made it past two weeks as a player here. Something else to blame Irongron for I guess :)

Purplemyst
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Purplemyst » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:52 pm

Back in my day...

The arcane tower was player owned.

Player houses had traps that would instakill those with sticky fingers or if you pressed the wrong option on the chat log.

Solo leveling was difficult.

A group of players where the talk of the server for managing to get to level 30 in a month. Back then hitting 30 took the average player up to a year.

FoD would be full of groups circle grinding and finding it undisturbed was a rare occurrence.

Speaking of circle grinding - This was very much frowned upon.

You received xp penalties for being in a party with over 5 players ( it may of been 4 or 6, it was a long time ago).

Zaravella
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Zaravella » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:56 am

Back in my day....

Neverwinter Nights didnt have any expansions and it was not Enhanced.
"Power is not revealed by striking hard or striking often; But by striking true."
-Honore de Balzac-

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:32 am

Purplemyst wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:52 pm
Back in my day...

Player houses had traps that would instakill those with sticky fingers or if you pressed the wrong option on the chat log.
Were these supposed to have been removed? I ran into one not too long ago

Dalek Caan
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Dalek Caan » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:17 am

Back in my day...

Casting hellball could crash the server. Fun times! :D

Skarain

Post by Skarain » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:16 pm

Back in my days... Player-Character dragons weren't extremely rare.

It was a good time to be a Kobold and fangirl over those who choose to reveal themselves and played their dragons in a believeable way.

Ping14
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Ping14 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:30 am

Back in my day, being AFK can get you killed of exhaustion/thirst/hunger.
I remember my fond memories of waking up to a dead toon after playing long hours during the night and falling asleep infront of the laptop.

God_In_Action

Post by God_In_Action » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:23 pm

Back in my day stone altars were the latest fashion in settlement defence, Bendir for example had a briefly glorious wall of little rectangle grey stones all around it, and eventually this ended up being the reason our altars are shaped as they are now.

Moral of the story, players will never behave how you expect them to.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:38 pm

Back in my day drow SR was nerfed to cap at 32 at lvl 21 👌

ElvenEdibles

Post by ElvenEdibles » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:32 am

Back in my day you could take an SR gift and start at level 3 with 32 SR

Ping14
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Ping14 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:52 pm

ElvenEdibles wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:32 am
Back in my day you could take an SR gift and start at level 3 with 32 SR
Oh, yes. I remember this was a hot pick with kensai!
Brie got it I think. =D

legionetrangere

Post by legionetrangere » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:01 pm

I might be wrong in this, but i think Arelith and Amia were once the same server
Assuming thats a fact, i'll go and my share my story when i first started playing NWN... in Amia (from 2004 to 2011ish, then arelith since 2017ish)

"Back in my day, around 2004-2005, i had a dwarf that joined Kohligen Defenders. Smurfs they were called, because they proudly pareded around with a shiney navy blue cloak."

A more recent story from when I've joined Arelith is: There was backgrounds that affected skills and habilities, and when your toon died the background would show next to the toon's corpse (E.g: "Tordek Ironhammer (Farmer)"). Twas funny
PayadorPerseguido

Xantor_Stromgate
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Xantor_Stromgate » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:36 pm

Ork wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:02 pm
back in my day, there was 1 server. it was always full. you had to spam the connect button to actually get a slot.
SOOOOOO many quotable posts here, but this one rings extra-true for me! Hail Xantor of Clan Stromgate! Protector of the Dark Spire ... you know ... before it was a mountain range??? ;)
It's all peaches 'n' cake!

PEST CONTROL

Post by PEST CONTROL » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:08 pm

Back in my day, Cordor had 3 elected officials!! You could never ever get anything done because one would always disappear after every election.

Cordor's treasury was robbed every month it seemed.

Banites were feared.

When you got exiled from a settlement you were actually exiled.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:05 am

Back in my day:

there was no settlement system and no PC electorate, there was no food, drink or rest system, there was no durability, Cordor was run by Duke Montgomery d'Cordor

no gift system, no subrace system beyond some soft stat buffs that were applied, they were not hard stats

red wizard NPCs did all the enchanting and you paid XP and GP and could get +3 stat items on nearly every slot, permahaste, +5 enh and AC, spellcasts, regen, vamp regen

the manor was right next to kohlingen's main city, in the outskirts, and it was a little mini dungeon with a quest where you had to put the necronomicon to rest by saying klaatu barada nikto. it was full of undead that were immune to divine and positive energy damage.

arcane tower was in forest of despair and run by Thoramind, not PCs or other NPCs

Brog was its own separate northern island, not appended to the island, it had true sight HIPS goblins that would sneak up to you in HIPS, pick pocket to steal your stuff, then stealth away to try to despawn and take your items with them. It also had mummy dust casting shamans and goblin "AAs" with +10 arrows.

Bendir was a fort owned by Cordor.

Cordor was one area and it had a temple to Torm, the outskirts were one area as well, Nomad was inside Cordor walls to the South.

Arelith forest was one area and it was full of malar panthers and green slaadi

anyone could walk into Udos Dro'Xun because it was stated to be dependant on surface trade to survive in its newly created state, so surfacers could bring food or water items to the NPCs and just get to walk around with impunity unharmed by the NPCs

Skull Crags was like 2-3 areas tops and full of ramps and hobgoblin archers that would shoot you from forever away

sibayad didn't exist and instead there was a desert island named Zanshibon that eventually fell into the abyss and Paush was a human pasha who got transformed into a demon lord when it fell and ruled over the newly created layer. this was done to save Cordor. history tells us this may have been a poor idea.

no skype, no discord, no masters, only gamespy

PRCs could be taken for free by anyone with no oversight

dominantdrowess
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by dominantdrowess » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:02 am

Back in my day..

There was a Kensai Half-Orc Barbarian who used an orc blood-ax with 10 attacks per round, and a stunning aura that could stun you multiple times by him using a little key-board jiggle. He had 1100 hitpoints. He once attacked 7 people and won. His wife was a gnome.

You could also ask the DMs, if you got a Major Reward... to let you play a mind flayer or a dragon. Sometimes they would even say 'Yes' as ALL MAJOR REWARDS ... were ALL custom requests but did not have to be -character- requests. Sometimes, they would add things to the server, like memorials, or your character as an NPC. The Abyssal Citadel and a Holy Avenger exist somewhere on the server because of these requests as does The Erudite Arcanum building.

The NPC "Sol'vyr" in the Arcanum Library was a player character in The Devil's Table government.

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:14 pm

dominantdrowess wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:02 am
The Abyssal Citadel and a Holy Avenger exist somewhere on the server because of these requests as does The Erudite Arcanum building.
I don't know if this item still exists but there was once a major award item that doubled all bonuses from bard song. Its existence came to light after a string of thefts were reported on maxed out quarters two nights in a row. We uncovered that monstrosity after a few hours of theorycrafting and code archaeology. I'm sure there are other abominations like it lurking on the server, just waiting to be logged in again after all these years...

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:09 pm

people weren't as deceitful as much

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:56 am

Liareth wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:14 pm
dominantdrowess wrote:
The Abyssal Citadel and a Holy Avenger exist somewhere on the server because of these requests as does The Erudite Arcanum building.
I don't know if this item still exists but there was once a major award item that doubled all bonuses from bard song. Its existence came to light after a string of thefts were reported on maxed out quarters two nights in a row. We uncovered that monstrosity after a few hours of theorycrafting and code archaeology. I'm sure there are other abominations like it lurking on the server, just waiting to be logged in again after all these years...
You'd probably know better than me but iirc it wasnt an item but an actual character with double bard song bonuses back in the day. That character actually still exists but I dont know what bonuses they get these days with the reworked bardsong, if any..
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:32 pm

AstralUniverse wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:56 am
Liareth wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:14 pm
dominantdrowess wrote:
You'd probably know better than me but iirc it wasnt an item but an actual character with double bard song bonuses back in the day. That character actually still exists but I dont know what bonuses they get these days with the reworked bardsong, if any..

It took a while to dig up but I found it! Beware the wielder of the Master's Harp. I checked my copy of the code (which is admittedly veeeery out of date, so it might not be the case now) and indeed, all of their bonuses are doubled; AC, AB, saves, skills, everything except HP! Not only that, but these bonuses apply to the song, not the caster, so this bard and all their allies were running around with crazy OP bonuses!

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:40 pm

For the record, it was modified with the first wave of bard song changes. Not sure where it is after the latest changes.

Probably somewhat minor at the time but wildly over powered in today's Arelith.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Memes at its finest

Post by Memes at its finest » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:16 pm

back in my day you could troll someone by walking when they tried to yoink you, and brick their yoink until a reset of the server