How far, exactly does Cordor have jurisdiction/influence over Arelith?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Shrouded Wanderer

How far, exactly does Cordor have jurisdiction/influence over Arelith?

Post by Shrouded Wanderer » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:24 pm

I was thinking about this today, and ive always noted that Brog is too inset, literally, into their mountain to really care about whats going on, and the elves generally claim dominion around the arelith forest. Cordors chancellors always seem to make sweeping declarations about the islands laws, as if cordor runs all of the island.

Which i guess was fine until Guld city came into being, so im left wondering; what exactly is the jurisdiction of Cordor/its chancellor? Especially with Guldorand competing for influential space and with its own military essentially.

Can Cordor make declarations a
That affect minmir, Darkspires? Would King Edward ever declare what he rules or guide that? Has he already and its been forgotten?

Maybe im just shower thoughting into public, what do you think?

TooManyPotatoes

Re: How far, exactly does Cordor have jurisdiction/influence over Arelith?

Post by TooManyPotatoes » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:49 pm

Shrouded Wanderer wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:24 pm
I was thinking about this today, and ive always noted that Brog is too inset, literally, into their mountain to really care about whats going on
Wow.

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:59 pm

In the last approaching-two-years I've played on Arelith, the exact boundaries of Cordor jurisdiction have been heavily-debated (in particular, whether Whidershin Edge is under Cordor's control). It would be nice if Cordor had some kind of explicit statement of boundaries like Section 6 of the Guldorand Charter, but maybe it doesn't specifically for the sake of creating breeding ground for conflicts.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:00 pm

Amateur Hour wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:59 pm
In the last approaching-two-years I've played on Arelith, the exact boundaries of Cordor jurisdiction have been heavily-debated (in particular, whether Whidershin Edge is under Cordor's control). It would be nice if Cordor had some kind of explicit statement of boundaries like Section 6 of the Guldorand Charter, but maybe it doesn't specifically for the sake of creating breeding ground for conflicts.
I hope it never gets explicitly stated. Border disputes can make for fun rp
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:56 pm

I agree with garrbear758. Much RP has been generated around border disputes.

Personally, I have always viewed a settlement's influence over land as ever-changing through events such as location bidding. For example, if Cordor bid and won the Darkspire keep then they would have control over those lands until they lost the next bid. Let's not forget Brog use to control Darrowkeep for a long time until Cordor outbid them for it.

Just like in real life, territory changes hands over time, and with it who is in control to pass laws. That's kind of the whole purpose of the land bidding system,

Arienette
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Arienette » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:13 pm

Shrouded Wanderer wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:24 pm
I was thinking about this today, and ive always noted that Brog is too inset, literally, into their mountain to really care about whats going on, and the elves generally claim dominion around the arelith forest. Cordors chancellors always seem to make sweeping declarations about the islands laws, as if cordor runs all of the island.

Which i guess was fine until Guld city came into being, so im left wondering; what exactly is the jurisdiction of Cordor/its chancellor? Especially with Guldorand competing for influential space and with its own military essentially.

Can Cordor make declarations a
That affect minmir, Darkspires? Would King Edward ever declare what he rules or guide that? Has he already and its been forgotten?

Maybe im just shower thoughting into public, what do you think?
Cordor controls Cordor and the lands directly around it. The other settlements have sovereignty in their locations and some of the lands around them.

Cordor (or anyone) can decree anything they want but it doesn’t carry any special weight IC.

The above basically applies to normal activities carried out by players and player run governments.

However, it is possible that the DMs/Admin staff can use Cordor as a vehicle to make small or large adjustments to the setting. The most famous being the whole Wharfton business.

Also, I don’t want to spoil any FOIG stuff for you but I think the various racial settlements meddle more and have more influence in island-wide politics than you might be aware of.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:02 pm

Cordor can make declarations as far as they can enforce them. There was a time when the old dominion (guld, bendir, sencliff) held a lot of territory. I like territory disputes.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:31 pm

considering how Bendir holds Darrowdeep and Brog holds Gloom atm, right now Cordor doesnt control anything past their toll bridge and border garrison to the east near the iron mines.

Its easy to think how the map is from that and see how its current line rests for control so to speak.
Yes I can sign

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:32 pm

Cordor rules the seas!

msheeler
Contributor
Contributor

Post by msheeler » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:24 pm

I think the technical answer to this is anything that has an area name with Cordor in it like Cordor (blah blah) Blah

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:48 pm

god yall be some of the most rigid roleplayers I've ever met

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:06 pm

Ork wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:48 pm
Can't risk the peace!!!

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:23 am

Ork wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:48 pm
To be fair, I don't think anyone's trying to stimy border disputes. I think there's an interest in visualizing a map, which usually includes border outlines when differing sovereign settlements rest against each other. Nothing saying that each settlement can't have its own 'official' map with lines drawn slightly differently, as well, or that the borders on said map might be outdated, or maybe the Dominion is creeping up on land again.

All of these things can happen, but someone should still be able to look at a map and know roughly where the borders are. Border disputes are frequently held over tracts of land less than a mile wide, so one doesn't necessarily preclude the other.
-XXX- wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:32 pm
Cordor rules the seas!
Also, this.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:01 am

Team Cordor, Arelith Police. No borders, no restrictions, no jurisdiction! Hell yeah! Sick the dogs on the next whatever breaks the law in another territory!

RP only starts at 30 if you're a coward.

Morgy

Post by Morgy » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:29 am

Dreams wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:01 am
Team Cordor, Arelith Police. No borders, no restrictions, no jurisdiction! Hell yeah! Sick the dogs on the next whatever breaks the law in another territory!
*Myon.

>:) :lol:

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:34 am

It's very clear in the Cordorian Laws. Cordor's jurisdiction is the Pax Cordoria and that alone. It has no jurisdiction outside of that bar a few exceptions of High Crimes in which they may pursue offenders outside of it. But they are extremely limited. Anyone tells you otherwise ICly, you can refer them to the written laws or whatever else your character would do ICly.

Currently playing:
Thomas Castemont - Active

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Theodor Helbrecht - Rolled
Emma Young - Rolled
Ember Joyleaf-Underfoot - Rolled

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:53 am

D4wN wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:34 am
It's very clear in the Cordorian Laws. Cordor's jurisdiction is the Pax Cordoria and that alone. It has no jurisdiction outside of that bar a few exceptions of High Crimes in which they may pursue offenders outside of it. But they are extremely limited. Anyone tells you otherwise ICly, you can refer them to the written laws or whatever else your character would do ICly.
FOIG.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:55 am

pax cordoria isn't accurate any more

it refers to the republican despotism of lord vetinari it is a reign not a border. "the pax" is a linguistic non-entity!!!

stop using it!!!!!!

"but-but what about the dog latin module book in the cordor library-" that hasnt been changed in 16 RL years

-

I (mostly) jest but yeah this sort of thing should be handled and debated and fought over in-game, particularly since there isn't really going to be a hardline 'canon' answer beyond whatever King Edward thinks - and therefore subject to rebuttal by anyone else IC that would have a stake in this.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

kirisin

Post by kirisin » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:33 am

I will forever dispute on my wizard that the immediate area of widershin edge is controlled by the tower, even if we are not considered an offical settlement anymore. If someone breaks the rules of the tower and chooses to run outside for the sanctuary of cordor law... that doesnt fly with me.

Can make for some fun rp

Out... Out of mine kitchen. Away with thee!

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:57 pm

kirisin wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:33 am
I will forever dispute on my wizard that the immediate area of widershin edge is controlled by the tower, even if we are not considered an offical settlement anymore. If someone breaks the rules of the tower and chooses to run outside for the sanctuary of cordor law... that doesnt fly with me.

Can make for some fun rp
I'm pretty sure we've already had an overt DM/Admin decision on this one.

The Tower used to be run by PCs. They decided to try and start enforcing their rules over the larger area around it.

The Tower is no longer run by PCs.
what would fred rogers do?

Sincra
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Sincra » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:15 pm

Flower Power wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:57 pm
kirisin wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:33 am

Can make for some fun rp
I'm pretty sure we've already had an overt DM/Admin decision on this one.

The Tower used to be run by PCs. They decided to try and start enforcing their rules over the larger area around it.

The Tower is no longer run by PCs.
As the Leading element of Expansionism towards territory I can firmly say not only did we get IC agreements and promises to respect the territory we had them rewritten.

This is not why the Tower was removed from PC hands.

It was removed because people found it hard to share the toys allowed to them and consequently made RP hard and unenjoyable beyond closed circuits.
Irongron wrote:I've literally never used -guard on anyone.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:10 am

Also one of the problems that was occuring was that we were getting groups saying to the arcane tower 'Hay, you can't have XYZ use the portal' and the arcane tower pcs were generally in agreement. But what that lead to was a lot of pvp in the tower itself, which wasn't healthy.

And the owners of the tower (and this isn't unreasonable!) would ask for more controle over the portal. After all it's frustrating to be told 'You shouldn't be allowing such-and-such to use your portal!' when you have no real controle over who does!

But to actually -give- them controle over such an important waypoint on arelith to player hands would also have been too much. No matter how good the current group was, we can't set up for /just that group/ but for whatever group might own the guildhouse or what have you afterwards.

So turning it into an NPC overseen project helped there too.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)