Fire (Or Ocean)- Side Chat ideas

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

DM Avalon Soul
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Fire (Or Ocean)- Side Chat ideas

Post by DM Avalon Soul » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:23 pm

With the current run of these being finished, I would like to take requests for topics for these chats. Keep in mind, if a topic is about a speciifc Loreset, I may have to freely acknowledge it isn't a strong suit for me as a DM but for topics of significant interest, I shall endeavour to do my best.
"How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame; for one person, in the dark, where no one will ever know or see. " -- Sebaestian, Babylon 5

Dreams

Re: Fire (Or Ocean)- Side Chat ideas

Post by Dreams » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:48 am

Idea 1) It would be great to get a better understanding of PrC/Race Applications. How they work generally, what happens when a player sends in a request, how are things decided. What can players do to improve their applications? Are there specific things which are preferred for particular applications? What are examples of bad applications compared to good ones? Do applications need to be setting appropriate?

Idea 2) How focused on the setting is Arelith, and what setting is Arelith? Does Forgotten Realms lore matter? Is canon lore relevant on Arelith? How much head-canon should be allowed on Arelith? Are players expected to know what they're doing in a general sense? e.g. Elven races are extremely lore-heavy in Forgotten Realms, which might be a bit of a barrier to entry for players who aren't familiar with the lore, leading to many "raised by humans, haha" elves. Should there be a standard that Arelith accepts?

Idea 3) Can players impact the world? Maybe a DM perspective on what players can do to really impact the RP environment they're playing within could be good. How can characters go from nothing to become influential? Can players really change things or is Arelith stuck in cycles of activity and stories?

RP only starts at 30 if you're a coward.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:03 pm

I agree with the above. A chat on how to properly do applications for Zhents, Harpers, etc would be nice.

magistrasa

Post by magistrasa » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:57 pm

This isn't a topic idea per se, but it'd be nice to see these chats recorded and posted somewhere. Due to the time of day they're typically run, I've never been able to attend one of these chats - so I have no idea what it's even like, and thus no idea what topics might even be viable or appropriate for discussion.

I'd be interested in hearing you list some of your prior subjects and share what about them stood out as productive conversations.

× Career Sharran × MILF Supreme × Artist (Allegedly) ×
Will Trade Art For Groceries Again Eventually

DM Avalon Soul
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Avalon Soul » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:13 pm

I can provide a list of what I've already run:

* Story Development: (How to Develop Plots)

* Character Creation and You:

* OOC Conduct (How to be an Antagonist without being antagonistic)

* PrC Applications

* Events and you: Genres of Events, and more information about them and how to request them.

* Settlements and You:

* What can a character do to add the 'Third Dimension' ?

* IC/OOC issues and you, and The Fugue and You:

* How to be better portraying Good and Evil alignments:

* (Special run for Anniversary) Role of a DM

As for recording.. while I understand it'd be something that people would like, I would need some help on the techinical end for that and other concerns do arise but , I can consider it for sure.
"How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame; for one person, in the dark, where no one will ever know or see. " -- Sebaestian, Babylon 5