Peasant backstory

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Waldo52

Peasant backstory

Post by Waldo52 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:16 pm

I've been role playing as a peasant. While it hasn't come up yet, I'd like to establish where he comes from.

Is there a place on Arelith or elsewhere in forgotten realms where a truly feudal society exists or where al ye olde impoverished peasant could plausibly exist?

Hazard

Re: Peasant backstory

Post by Hazard » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:03 am

Cordor!

Cordor sewers.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:10 pm

I think surfdom is pretty prevelent throughout the realms. Comyr might be a good place? I'll try and do some research and write more here when I've got something.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Tesla420

Post by Tesla420 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:20 pm

Technically Cordor due to the fact it has a king, so obviously peasants would be a large part of the economy / farming. However the setting seems to lean less on this due to the complications of lawful good characters.

People tend to forget that the citizens in Cordor are technically under lordship of their king and thus own no land and are pretty much indentured servants.

Personally. I would love to see more situations involving paladins who are knights who apparently serve the king are ordered into doing acts that would not necessarily be considered /good/ in nature. But due to their lawful status they would have to follow the orders.

While in game elections happen, Cordor is in all honesty a dictatorship ruled by a singular person. If you want to see the poverty, you may simply look towards the docks district which is full of half naked peons.
Gregor Blackbreath, Elindros Ama'Alar

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:01 am

I saw Cordor twice. I'm familiar with the area so I'm gonna go with this.

Thank you. All of you!

Gaal

Post by Gaal » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:20 pm

Waldo52 wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:16 pm
I've been role playing as a peasant. While it hasn't come up yet, I'd like to establish where he comes from.

Is there a place on Arelith or elsewhere in forgotten realms where a truly feudal society exists or where al ye olde impoverished peasant could plausibly exist?
I currently rp as a calvary/fighter who grew up on a farm near Cordor. I just mention farm stuff here and there as I rp as a city guard. His story is growing organically.

Perem, El Grotto de Gnome

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:16 pm

When you say "truly feudal", what are you looking for? Because a "truly feudal" society has a lot of really tiny details that the Forgotten Realms lore wouldn't touch on because they are, frankly, really boring compared to hunting dragons. I don't know of any society on Faerun where, for example, workers are explicitly required to use only a single approved mill for all their grain or one where any wood from the common land with a diameter bigger than a certain amount belongs to the landlord but anything less can be freely used and taken by anyone who has paid their wood-tax.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

JustMonika

Post by JustMonika » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:10 pm

Most of the sword coast is quite feudal. While we tend to focus on the cities, it's easy to forget that these cities are fueled by the efforts of a rural peasentry, making their living in small insigificant farms, being oppressed by wandering orcs and dragons and adventurers burning their taverns down.

While Cordor does have (what seems to be a very tiny) amount of farmland, my understanding is the city is primarily supported by trade and tax. Use of the port provides revenue, which is what Cordor uses to buy the essentials to keep going, as well as an incomprensible amount of looted gold from the ever respawning wilds of Arelith. There are certainly your odd improverished dock worker and farmer, but it's questionable how many of them there actually are.

There's the loggers of old-Guldorand, aka Westcliff - Those seem like pretty peasent people with an understandable economic role to play.

Temporarily back to Arelith and currently Lilliana Snowfire.

If you have unfinished business with Ultrianan, let me know! Arabella has been rolled.