To help with verse again and again.

It can generate poetry,
With human-like responses true,
With prompts, it can set free,
A poet's muse, in all it can do.

But with this help, a question arises,
Of originality, authenticity, it poses.
So weigh the pros and cons, before you choose,
And let the chatbot not detract from your muse.

In all seriousness, the thing can generate poetry, along with many other forms of writing. I'll add that the former vary in quality. The one above was not so great, but I've got it to write some pretty nifty sonnets. I'm curious about what the community thinks about people relying on it as a tool to assist them with certain written tasks on Arelith.

Captain_Siix
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Trouble playing a poet?

Post by Captain_Siix » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:18 pm

The less I have to rely on a third party tool to get into character the better. If this helps you that's fine but it seems void of creativity. You're effectively making a character that everyone else can roleplay exactly the same since everyone can use this same bot.

Edit: I thought more on this subject while doing chores. I still think it would be generic to have your character spew stuff written by a bot however If another entity did it I could see the appeal. If you had dreams of your diety or something you stole power from and in those dreams the entity used the chat bots writing that could be fine. If it didn't make sense to you it could easily be written off that it could've been beyond your understanding. Letters from family could come via chat bot etc.
Current PCs:
Vadion
Van

Past NPCs:
Horrik Hellbelch
Cassandra

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:48 am

A player's skills may not align,
With the character they've chosen to design,
Though they may not know poetry well,
A character with that skill, they may choose to tell,

NWN can mimic strength and speed,
But verse, it's not the game's forte indeed,
So why not let a bot compose,
A poem that's more than just prose?

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:55 am

I do see the appeal, though.

Like, I am a terrible poet. Expect me to write in a meter or remember what words are supposed to rhyme in English, and I will fail you. Fortunately, my current main is the kind of character who can be a bad poet, but until you literally replace my brain, there is no way I could ever play a bard without a tool like this, and it kinda sucks to be limited away from a class because you yourself suck at one of the required skills.

No one has to shoot a bow to make an arcane archer. No one has to know how to make a sword to take smithing trade skill points. And since on Arelith, our bards are necessarily singers for mechanics reasons, we're not allowed to "*plays a song with witty lyrics*" and most filks break the setting, some concessions must be made.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???