Gathering Programming Interest on a Launcher for Arelith

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Gathering Programming Interest on a Launcher for Arelith

Post by Cihparg » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:15 pm

'ello! Haven't been around for a while now, but spicing up a character to slowly get myself back into roleplaying.
That's off the topic today though.

So what I'm asking is whether we might have volunteer programmers for a project that would serve as an alternative Arelith (Neverwinter) launcher.
Now you might ask, "Wouldn't this be a task for X team?", and I'm sure it would be if everyone had enough time on their hands.
I don't know the current situation, and I can't say about the past, so I'll base off a description of what I may or may not be planning;

Code: Select all

Divination - a QT-based launcher for Arelith.

Programming requirements:
      Typescript - The backend and frontend of the program is written for
                   NodeJS combined with NodeGUI.
      CSS        - QT CSS is quite similar to HTML CSS, but we'll try to
                   make it as comfortable to use as possible.
      HTML       - The QT interface elements will be parsed from a HTML file.

Structure:
      All code should be inside a top /src folder.
      Avoid using excessive folders.
        This means DO NOT do this: /src/module/struct/property/attributes/imadeveloper/on_obj_click.ts
        Extend /src/soundbard.ts either directly, or with a corresponding low-level module.
        This could be /src/extensions/events.ts

Optimize your code to be as humanly readable, and as efficient as possible.
      I don't want to see 1000 lines if it can be achieved with 20.
      Keep redundant elements to the absolute minimum.

Design:
      Options        - Top
      Playtime       - Central
      Launch         - Bottom

Settings Menus - Embedded widget

Features:
      Feyline Selection - Choose which feyline to spawn at. (Server selection)
                          If a server is down, this will be shown.
      Playtime Tracking - See how long you've played, and quit before it's too late.
      Character History - Keep track of how long you've played each character.  
                          Character deletion logging can be toggled on.
      Friends List      - Know when your friends are online, for better coordination.
      Log Parsing       - Rotates your logs, and allows you to read them with a visual
                          interface.

Non-developers may also contribute to this thread with their thoughts. Features, requests, criticism, anything goes.
Foremost development will be towards PC platforms, in other words, Windows, Linux, Mac.

As for interested parties, send me a private message.
If I can see there's enough demand and supply for a product like this, we can get started on something like it.

Source code will be made public on a service such as Github, and compiled binaries will be built 1:1 to the repository assets.

garrbear758

Re: Gathering Programming Interest on a Launcher for Arelith

Post by garrbear758 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:18 pm

This would be awesome

You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:26 pm

I've been looking around a little bit, and it seems Vue NodeGui delivers the basics of what this project requires.

Also, I should note we could use a project manager. While I can give a general direction of where the program should go (ie project lead), create templates of what I think is best, I'm not a good people person.
So if anyone wants to handle that part, feel free to send me a PM

Do note that I'd still expect you to have some knowledge (not experience) of the fundamental scripting languages that are currently planned to be used.

The reason I separate knowledge, and experience, is because there's a gap in what I'd call the comfort zone.
When people think "experience", they'll have flashbacks of seeing job listings of "Junior Intern: You're required to have 20+ years experience of X, Y, Z, and A B programming languages.", and get immediately turned away.

But knowledge? Think of it like this. You've fiddled with hobbyist, and/or job projects, which included programming/scripting languages.
You more or less know how to build a project up from scratch. Maybe you've used an IDE of some sort.
But the point stands: You have some knowledge of the fundamental languages.

riffraff

Post by riffraff » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:18 am

I'm not sure if I could dedicate much time to this, but I'm a Node dev. Still learning Typescript and haven't been exposed to Vue yet, but learning new frameworks and tools is kinda bread and butter. So colour me tentatively interested.

cold chuckle

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:25 pm

It's worth noting the languages we'd be using aren't set in stone yet.
I'm exploring typescript/javascript options, but I don't see why we couldn't use Rust and QML.

In fact I think I'll start exploring that avenue.
And hey, if QML/QT doesn't work out for us, there's also webkitgtk.

Beep boop.

TurningLeaf
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by TurningLeaf » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:05 pm

I believe there's some sort of launcher(s) already but perhaps you're contemplating some new functionality. At any rate here is a link to one.

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nw ... t-launcher

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:56 pm

There are launchers yes, but nothing that offers the features we're striving for.
In general, most of those launchers aren't either developer or user friendly either.
Extending them with your own features is a hassle.
At worst, requiring full C/C++ IDE's that create a bunch of bloat headers, bindings, and confusing folder structures, and may even use proprietary compiled "UI" files which won't be human readable.

Tl;dr: Get the job done with a build env that doesn't eat up 50gb storage, and 500mb memory in production builds (cough electron cough).

Minimal, extendable, for humans.

Edit: Checked what's used to build the one you linked, it's AHK so it'd sure be extendable, and isn't too heavy on resources.
I'll check it more when I got time.

Beep boop.

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:47 pm

TurningLeaf wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:05 pm

I believe there's some sort of launcher(s) already but perhaps you're contemplating some new functionality. At any rate here is a link to one.

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nw ... t-launcher

On a more formal note, I apologize for the harsh, pessimistic reply, when I've encouraged people to feel free to give any insight that they have on the project.
Especially considering that all input at this point in development is more than welcome.

That's entirely on me, and it shouldn't be reflected upon the project or the team behind it.

Regardless of my own personal issues, I need to fix my own responses when responding in behalf of this project.

And, thanks for the link! As I noted after, I'll look into it now. I hadn't even considered AHK as an option, but it is something that's extremely light weight, and easily modifiable.

Beep boop.

Llopast

Post by Llopast » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:12 pm

Good day, Cihparg!

If you ever need a Python-ist, feel free to contact me.

Also try using chatGPT. Who knows, maybe it can do the thing.

"The terrible thing is not that you were deceived or robbed, but that you constantly remember this."
Discord: vasily_fedorchenko

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:07 pm

Hey all, no development update yet, but an apology for the dead silence of an entire month, had a bunch of issues with my PC, but nothing major.
Getting back to prototyping code for this now.

Beep boop.