Question from a newer player.

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

sylva748

Question from a newer player.

Post by sylva748 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:31 am

Hello everyone, I've recently started playing on the server as a Paladin on Skal. I chose the Red Knight as my patron deity and was wondering if anyone knew the location of an altar of the Red Knight. I saw some of my abilities like Divine Smite take some of my piety to perform. So the location of any such altar would be welcomed so I could have my character pray at it to build some piety. Not to mention of course she would pray at an altar of her goddess as a Paladin, c'mon now. Thanks in advance!

riffraff

Re: Question from a newer player.

Post by riffraff » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:59 am

Hello and welcome! I hope you are enjoying your time here.

I think most people will say that information is Find Out In Game, so I'll give some advice instead. Ask people IC if they're aware of a Red Knight shrine/altar anywhere. It'll lead to some RP and who knows, maybe you'll bump into a priest of your goddess who already has or can consecrate a shrine in her name.

I imagine it might be a little hard finding a Red Knight altar on Skal. If there isn't one, your best bet is to find one dedicated to another human deity that shares an aspect (luckily, the War and Desctruction aspect is a popular one, so that shouldn't be too hard). Once you've found a good enough altar, I recommend dedicating some time to getting your piety as high as possible and then just top it up every time you're back in town - something very IC for a holy character anyway.

You also get piety for performing actions in keeping with those aspects. For Red Knight, that includes killing stuff (War and Destruction) and crafting (Knowledge and Invention).

Good luck!

cold chuckle

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Question from a newer player.

Post by MissEvelyn » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:44 pm

sylva748 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:31 am

Hello everyone, I've recently started playing on the server as a Paladin on Skal. I chose the Red Knight as my patron deity and was wondering if anyone knew the location of an altar of the Red Knight. I saw some of my abilities like Divine Smite take some of my piety to perform. So the location of any such altar would be welcomed so I could have my character pray at it to build some piety. Not to mention of course she would pray at an altar of her goddess as a Paladin, c'mon now. Thanks in advance!

First of all, salutations and welcome! I've seen your character and love her Red Knight armor outfit! 😊

Red Knight is rarely worshiped on Skal indeed, but that doesn't mean you can't. With an altar dedicated to your patron deity, you'd get the most piety for your prayers and devotions. But, if you can find another altar consecrated to another human deity, praying to Red Knight there will still give you plenty piety as you pray. If said altar also shares aspects with Red Knight, you'll get even more.

If I remember correctly it's broken down something like this;

Any generic altar or a desecrated altar: +0.1 piety per pray tick
Altar with a deity from same racial pantheon as your patron OR shares an aspect with your patron: +0.2 piety per pray tick.
Altar with a deity from same racial pantheon AND shares an aspect with your patron: +0.3 piety per pray tick.
Altar dedicated and consecrated to your patron: +0.4 piety per pray tick.

So no matter what, you can always pray to your deity, even if it isn't at an altar dedicated to them. The reason for that, I suspect, is to reflect that the Forgotten Realms is a heavily polytheistic society, where even if you may have one or several favored deities, it is very common to pray to 20+ of them.

In order to make altars, you'll need an art crafter and a bit of material (granite and/or marble), which usually isn't hard to find. You will also need a Cleric or someone divinely gifted, who also worships Red Knight, so that they can consecrate the altar.

Anyway, welcome! I hope to run into you in-game more. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions! 😊