Frustration with RP and settlement encounters

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Grimey Straatwalk

Frustration with RP and settlement encounters

Post by Grimey Straatwalk » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:48 am

I've created a rather unusal antagonist which gets a lot of ire with other characters of all alignments.

I always primarly will RP and if it moves to PvP then it is always initiated by the other person, and that's okay. However, the ongoing theme of any settlement is to gang up, attack, and outcast the character completely at the first sign of trouble. This kills RP by making it impossible to continue any kind of story.

My character gets ganged up on by the settlement put down in PvP and instead of continuing the story by capturing him, taking him to jail, torturing him, something, anything?? Like anything! They are the ones initiating and driving the interaction, is that all you bring to the table for RP? I mean, I will play along with whatever. If one just wants to PvP then why are they on an RP server? The constant drive is to outcast and attack a character should they cause any kind of disruption. Good job everyone, we ganged up and killed a character and don't have to RP with him ever again. Yay for us?

This completely kills RP. It is previailent on the server and it has utterly destroyed a lot of potential story lines in my experience.

When I brought this up before the comment is alway "Well do better as an antagonist." That is trying to side step the real issue. RP of this nature destroys any kind of potential story line by destroying avenues for the antagonist to interact with you. It ends the story line right then and there. That is not good RP at all.

It's getting frustrating to the point where I'm not sure I want to play on this server anymore. It's not fun, and I can't develop my character when RP is constantly halted in this manner.

Inordinate
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Frustration with RP and settlement encounters

Post by Inordinate » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:08 am

This thread is something that should be brought to the DMs, via the private message system to the Active DMs group, with specifics and details they can use to help you. A public discussion likely isn't going to go anywhere useful.

If need there comes to shelter my ship on the flood;
The wind I calm upon the waves, and the sea I put to sleep

Grimey Straatwalk

Post by Grimey Straatwalk » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:25 am

I will do that as I am willing to improve my RP as much as possible. I am not trying to point fingers as it seems to be a universal problem. I think if other players see this message then maybe things could improve. i.e. You may be doing things that actively destroy RP and not realise it.

I think a lot of players could use a little introspection on what they are doing on an RP server to start with.

Biolab00
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Biolab00 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:32 am

It's simply based on my assumption on the following -

1) It is not a sudden encounter whereby they actually actively look for you but you appear there ICly for your RP purpose. And it happens that it's a settlement and you're outnumbered for your antagonism.
2) Based on your IC character setting, you're RPing on the direction of evil / fearless / madness and hence, you do not actually show sign of surrender via interaction nor vigilance against the possibility of danger.
3) You're assuming that these players will turn on subdual / or stop when you're near death, to continue the capturing act etc.

If it's based on the above assumption, it's very unlikely that a single player can understand your RP driven story, much less a collective group of random players. Therefore, i'm only going to suggest that if you're outnumbered and you're opting for being captured etc, do not wait till PVP happens but show sign that you're willing to surrender.
When adrenaline set in after PVP commence, many people will often momentarilly stop thinking about RP because it can be intense.

Do ignore my post if this isn't the case for you yep.

Grimey Straatwalk

Post by Grimey Straatwalk » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:36 am

Thanks for your response and feedback.

Biolab00 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:32 am

1) It is not a sudden encounter whereby they actually actively look for you but you appear there ICly for your RP purpose. And it happens that it's a settlement and you're outnumbered for your antagonism.

It tends to be a character who sees mine then will start gathering a crowd. It's initiated by them and as far as I'm concerned the end is completely in their hands. It's obvious a single player can't survive an attack of 10 other stronger players in PvP. So what is their goal here other than Pvp? If it is, then this is the wrong server for them.

2) Based on your IC character setting, you're RPing on the direction of evil / fearless / madness and hence, you do not actually show sign of surrender via interaction nor vigilance against the possibility of danger.

I try to keep it in the realm of RP and prevent PvP if I can. So I don't follow the character demands "Leave! or we kill you" or any other demand that just kills the story. So my character response might be "Really? You want to do that?" or "I'm here because...blah blah blah" and try to engage some kind of conversation to create a story line. This is something I have been trying to improve but it seems a dead end every time. Every single time.

The common response is to get to PvP as quickly as possible without breaking the "RP first rule". Players have been leaving no avenue open other than to just leave and end the RP. If it was just a single player then fine. However it's a whole group doing this and it's a huge problem.

3) You're assuming that these players will turn on subdual / or stop when you're near death, to continue the capturing act etc.
If it's based on the above assumption, it's very unlikely that a single player can understand your RP driven story, much less a collective group of random players. Therefore, i'm only going to suggest that if you're outnumbered and you're opting for being captured etc, do not wait till PVP happens but show sign that you're willing to surrender.

I've been trying to do this but it goes nowhere. When the only options presented are "Leave or die." When everything my character says is just ignored. "I don't care. Leave or die." Brilliant RP. Why bother playing at all?

Biolab00

Post by Biolab00 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:58 am

This is the instance whereby RP amongst players differ and either side are not willing to compromise.
Taking your character's death severely, if you're given the option to leave peacefully, i do not see any reason why you shouldn't do that so that you get to live.
Even IRL when the power scale tips severely between both sides, the overwhelming party will more often than not, simply ignore what the weaker party say.
Unless you're a character with an epic reputation or you came with a collective group of players, it is difficult for your words to be heard or taken seriously.

I've not played an antagonist before but i've my fair share of possible PVP encounter. I do not think that showing weakness, such as emoting "would raise his hands up as he smiles at the Drows" quickly and aim for a standstill before you opt for other possible option or, "would look vigilantly at the crowd while he steps back, clearly daunted by the group's presence".

This was what happened once to me and how i get to live. Pitiful perhaps but, i carry the mindset that i will grasp any chance at living if i'm given the option. And, when the interaction tilted towards PVP yet i do not display such weakness, it means that i'm willing to partake in the PVP and will not regret the possible result. Any plus after the PVP, is the bonus and should not be the ideal.

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:09 am

I'll be frank: based on the topic and your replies to this thread it sounds like you're the problem. Your character can be likened to an immortal mosquito. Your character has shown to be no more than a pest so, like a mosquito, all they want you to do is stop bothering them or die.

I personally don't know your character but I would reevalute why other characters don't want to interract with yours.

Grimey Straatwalk

Post by Grimey Straatwalk » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:14 am

Taking your character's death severely, if you're given the option to leave peacefully, i do not see any reason why you shouldn't do that so that you get to live.

Stay or leave the end result for both is no role play at all. If you stay then there is a chance RP can continue.

. I do not think that showing weakness, such as emoting "would raise his hands up as he smiles at the Drows" quickly and aim for a standstill before you opt for other possible option or, "would look vigilantly at the crowd while he steps back, clearly daunted by the group's presence".

I once had the character try to deliver a message outside the settlement while carrying a white flag and saying "Please don't hurt me. I mean no harm." and they just attacked as soon as they could. How much more could I do to appease them?

Grimey Straatwalk

Post by Grimey Straatwalk » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:22 am

I'll be frank: based on the topic and your replies to this thread it sounds like you're the problem. Your character can be likened to an immortal mosquito. Your character has shown to be no more than a pest so, like a mosquito, all they want you to do is stop bothering them or die.

I really do put forth an effort to communicate and interact with everyone. I happily play the victim and allow my character to be treated poorly if it plays into it. I also play more than one character. I have witnessed this
kind of thing happen from both sides. I'm more than willing to adapt but so far all is presented is "Leave or Die."

The point of a antagonist to to antagonize, is it not? Trying to pin the problem just on me is just trying to side step the root of the problem.

Biolab00

Post by Biolab00 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:26 am

[/quote] I once had the character try to deliver a message outside the settlement while carrying a white flag and saying "Please don't hurt me. I mean no harm." and they just attacked as soon as they could. How much more could I do to appease them? [/quote]

You may have mis-interpret what my words meant. I'm expressing as such to escape and not to enter.
The purpose differs and held no meaning to each other.

With that, i'll stop posting to avoid spamming more messages.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:31 am

Welcome to arelith.

Grimey Straatwalk

Post by Grimey Straatwalk » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:39 am

Ork wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:31 am

Welcome to arelith.

So there is no hope?

In Sorrow We Trust
Contributor
Contributor

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:46 am

There's hope. It just depends who you are dealing with.

Vittoria Veleno
catch me if you can

DM Monkey
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Monkey » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:08 am

I'm going to lock this thread because these often spiral.

That said, something key to remember is that no matter what sort of character you're playing, there's another character out there who doesn't agree with you. The Forgotten Realms are full of opposing viewpoints, whether they're based in religion or personal creed, and not everyone is going to get along. It's purely an IC construction. Don't take it personally if another character doesn't agree with what your character stands for. Use it as a part of the story. Find the people who DO see the world in a similar way as your character and see if they'll be your friends or allies.

The more engaging and thoughtful someone is in the way they represent their character, the better the chances are that everyone around them will also apply that thoughtfulness. Great antagonists draw big crowds of other roleplayers, whether they're allies or enemies, because players on an OOC level inherently realise that someone who roleplays in an inclusive and engaging manner is less likely to cut everything short with ! > bash.

Whatever happens, you just plod along through the world and try to stay IC. Actions taken against your character aren't personal. Do your best with your RP and others around you are more likely to do their best to meet the level of effort you put in. If they don't, find someone or somewhere else on the server to tell your stories with. Not everyone plays in the same way!

Try harder! Help set a good example of roleplay for the server culture.