Druidic apocalypse, is it time?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

UilliamNebel

Druidic apocalypse, is it time?

Post by UilliamNebel » Sat May 13, 2023 6:22 pm

Just curious how given the source material on the Realms, for eco terrorism, and holy war, if it is a concept that could ever happen in game, at scale? Could the nature walkers come together, and Green Nuke say Cordor, by blighting it's food supply, fouling the water, releasing owl bears, etc.

Xarge VI

Re: Druidic apocalypse, is it time?

Post by Xarge VI » Sat May 13, 2023 6:40 pm

Sounds like a cool concept and I know there have been druids with similar goals. I doubt they'll manage to do it but it's the story that counts.

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Sat May 13, 2023 7:30 pm

I think the general DM take on such things has been: if you want to try a plot, you can always bring it up to the DMs...but you should expect to fail if your character's goal is to have a significant or permanent impact on the server, particularly if it would require area redesigns.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

Cthuletta

Post by Cthuletta » Sat May 13, 2023 9:35 pm

That sounds like something Silvanus Extremists would do. Would be interesting to see an attempt, but definitely something a group of players should get with a DM about!

Juniper Oakley - Just A Wee Bit Batty

Ny'aza 'Peggy' Philor'tyl - Travelling
Tiffa Took Hss'tafi - Happy in Sigil (Rolled)

Paint

Post by Paint » Sun May 14, 2023 12:29 am

There are a few plot threads happening right now that you can find out about in game which hit along those lines, and with enough momentum and DM support, could turn into something seriously interesting. If you wanna get involved, I suggest you make friends with the various naturewalkers around the isle. Eventually, someone'll point you in the right direction.

Sundial

Post by Sundial » Tue May 16, 2023 2:22 am

That sounds like a very cool thing to do

Ekrid Aulanther
Tashtego
Isak Kerringar
Huemacoatl

Crookedblossom
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Crookedblossom » Tue May 16, 2023 10:16 pm

Yeah, it's entirely something plausible to roleplay. As mentioned above, you would likely need to work towards drumming it up with roleplay and doing a fair bit of work-up toward your inevitable goal, then approach the DMs with what you've done thus far along with whatever it is you're asking them to help with. That would probably be more likely to get a response from them, rather than just coming out of nowhere with "hey let's do a massive nature-bomb event."

Again, as mentioned above, it is highly unlikely that it would result in any permanent changes to the server. So it's good to go in with that understanding; that your character's goals will likely ultimately fail beyond creating a memorable story/moment.

Eco-terrorism roleplay is incredibly fun, but it can also be incredibly draining if you don't have enough support or attention for what you're trying to do. It's fun, but not easy. It means getting in the way of writs, resource gathering and general progression in game. Which can be fun in and of itself, but it's low traction.

My biggest piece of advice would be: patience and involvement. Involve yourself with the nature community, even if you have differing ideals and philosophies IC. Characters can grow and change, and you might just be able to drum up some support. Be ready to play the long con.

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Tue May 16, 2023 11:53 pm

More interesting would be a kind of morally ambiguous nature-bomb where no one can tell exactly if what's happening is good or bad. Maybe it inconveniences people in some ways but benefits them in others, and isn't exactly violent.

DM Monkey
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Monkey » Fri May 19, 2023 6:57 am

You don't need our permission to start a narrative going in this direction. The thing to be clear on is whether or not you're going to succeed will be determined sometime in future, and is not guaranteed. So, go absolutely wild and try to begin these huge schemes! They're the most fun in the Realms and they usually pull a lot of interested parties in.

Try harder! Help set a good example of roleplay for the server culture.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Mon May 22, 2023 9:41 am

UilliamNebel wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 6:22 pm

Just curious how given the source material on the Realms, for eco terrorism, and holy war, if it is a concept that could ever happen in game, at scale? Could the nature walkers come together, and Green Nuke say Cordor, by blighting it's food supply, fouling the water, releasing owl bears, etc.

based do this irl

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:41 pm

UilliamNebel wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 6:22 pm

I always like to set some expectations here.

Events where the end goal is to absolutly and irrevicatly change/destroy a very large and integeral area of the server... (e.g. Cordor, Guldorand, Andunor, Myon, Brogendenstein, Bendir, ect) are almost certainly not going to be successful. I know that sounds like a massive buzzkill, but you've got to keep in mind the months of work that goes into making such places and the often integeral part of a server.
Destroying say, Cordor sounds neat in theory, but then the team has to make a new area, decide where the new players go, write more dialogues, fix up a bunch of scripts ect. It's a BIG deal. And that's not even delving into other problematic aspects.

That said, ideas like above are awsome - and potentially could lead to a string of events, or even some smaller server changes. More to the point - my suggestion for stuff like this is always: 'Do it for the journey, not the destination.' If you enjoy the process of rping the above, if the recruting, mad plotting, wild plans and so forth make you gleeful then whether or not you're successful is pretty much irrelevent. You won because you had fun.

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Crookedblossom
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Crookedblossom » Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:54 am

I'd also like to point out that for much of what you've listed, there are already mechanics in place that allow players to take the initiative and do much of it themselves without much DM intervention, if any. Especially when it comes to thinks like poisoning water supply or blighting farmlands.

Large-scale events of "nuking" an area would take DM assistance, but from a personal perspective, I find the slow build up of small hindrances like what was listed to be more compelling. Especially if its done covertly and with some good recruiting and plotting going on.