Capture RP

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Capture RP

Post by Ork » Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:23 pm

I understand why people reach out OOC and I do recognize the merits of it. I don't because I don't need to and find OOC communication unnecessary in making an enjoyable, collaborative story with other players on this server. I'm having fun doing what I'm doing, and people have fun playing with me similar to what Magi has said. And, that's as good as it gets.

Villifying this stance as if I'm uncompassionate or seeking to trigger trauma in others is a weird take though.

I've had players reach out OOC before saying they weren't comfortable with a hostile encounter and that the potential for PvP was triggering for them. I'm sorry but that's this game. If you're going to be triggered by events that can turn hostile, roleplaying in a collaborative, often character v. character environment isn't for you and I don't intend to change how the story is played out because someone's deployed emotional manipulation to influence these encounters.

A Ray of Sunshine

Post by A Ray of Sunshine » Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:40 pm

Maybe I'm just overly sensitive to such things, I admit. I am IRL part of my workplace's DE&I council. I've heard hundreds of stories of people exposed to traumatic content in videogames that led to RL pain and horrible relived memories, some of them affecting close friends of mine. I simply do not want to believe that the people here would drag someone through such a situation (even virtual) against their ooc will, out of some sense of untouchable and unbreakable IC integrity.

If I was wrong in what I said or implied, then I'm happy to admit it and apologise for any misgivings. I just want us all to have fun with one another, rather than at the expense of one another.

As per grumpy's post, RL experiences change one's view on things. Perhaps a few years ago I would be right with you, talking about the integrity of IC and how 'it's just a game, bro'. But many times, it's not.

I also admit, one of the most fun experiences I ever had in NWN RP (though this was -decades ago- in a different server) was capture RP. My antagonist was finally discovered and put in prison. There was a parade of people wanting to see me, reporters wanting interviews, people I'd been friends with being shocked, people I'd wronged finally having a target for their frustrations. In the end I decided to closure my character, as it was a fitting end for them.

The catch? Nearly all of it was organized OOC. I didn't stay online on that character 24/7. I had a forum thread (back when bboards were the latest hotness) where people could request to speak with me. We arranged times ooc and I logged in during windows where people knew I'd be available. OOC coordination is not a bad thing.

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:31 pm

You're fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion and as I said earlier, I can tell yours comes from a place of compassion. Believe it or not, I'm a pretty compassionate dude myself, or at least I like to think so.

I just firmly believe that the onus is on the player who might get triggered or whatever to navigate themselves out of the position, rather than having to check every time to make sure the person is ok with every step along the way. I just think that's being overly cautious at the cost of some people's immersion, and truth be told I think it's more likely to lead to the person who might get triggered into going along with it longer than they want. No one wants to be the bad sport after all. And If I'm right, then sending people tells is doing the exact opposite of what it intends.

MarkRed

Post by MarkRed » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:40 pm

Babylon System is the Vampire wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:35 pm

The Stakes are not high, it's just a video game.

I am absolutely sorry that you see it like this, but this is such an outdated point of view.

The entire world has moved into to an online space, and whether you know it or not, there are plenty of people who play this game and many others where this is their ONLY exposure to the outside world. Either by choice, or by circumstance like being bedridden or otherwise incapable of leaving their house and communicating with people face to face.

People invest their time and money into games, online, offline, on the field or otherwise. If you put your heart, soul and all your free time into doing anything... it stopped being "just a video game" a long time ago.

So I'm sorry that as a sign of respect towards other players that I'm forming a meaningful connection with and their well being, that I inconvenience you with a simple 10 word message. Curb your broke immersion for 10s, or turn -notells on, otherwise you're opting in to OOC messages.

Because there's no reason for you to not have -notells on if you're this opposed to such a short message that can hugely affect a player's experience playing. I don't care if your grandmother just tripped on an ice cube, that your wife just went into labor, that you've been dying to go to the bathroom for the past 45 minutes, don't even say hi to me after we've known each other for years on the game but haven't RP'd together in a character or two.

Why aren't yall in -notells 24/7? Please I would love to know what situation to think it's appropriate to receive a tell if not something like this.

Table&Chair Brick Wall | RedKnight Quartermaster | World's friendliest Tormite | Average Book Enjoyer Luskan | Stutter Elf Archer | Pie Goddess' #1 Fan | Best Slave Luskan | Deadpanned Luskan |

Communication, the only thing that matters.

stoneheart-

Post by stoneheart- » Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:50 pm

MarkRed wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:40 pm

Why aren't yall in -notells 24/7? Please I would love to know what situation to think it's appropriate to receive a tell if not something like this.

"BRB", "AFK", "sorry i gotta go, phone call", just off the top of my head.

Whenever i get tells it's always one or more of the following:

-unsolicited jokes
-people over-explaining/justifying the actions of their character to me, OOCly
-people translating their character when my character does not understand them (in the case of speaking archaic dialects or foreign languages ICly).
-hateful gossip against one or more people in the RP scene.

None of these are welcomed by me. The only reason I don't play in permanent -notells is so people can tell me that they have to go or brb or afk for a bit if something comes up IRL, which is totally understandable. Otherwise I don't want to be contacted or referred to OOCly. That's my preference. I won't say that my preference should be anyone else's preference, of course, but I have noticed an increase in the amount of tells I recieve, indicative of a worrying amount of OOC influence in the game.

MarkRed

Post by MarkRed » Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:58 pm

stoneheart- wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:50 pm
MarkRed wrote:

"BRB", "AFK", "sorry i gotta go, phone call", just off the top of my head.

Several people in this thread have stated that the existence of any green text in their box is a plague that ruins immersion, so I am woefully unaware of any situation that is deemed worthy of breaking their immersion if not for that of a massive choice that heavily affects game play in ways some players may not like, and have no way out of.

Additionally, that's what this segment of my last post were making fun of.

MarkRed wrote:

Because there's no reason for you to not have -notells on if you're this opposed to such a short message that can hugely affect a player's experience playing. I don't care if your grandmother just tripped on an ice cube, that your wife just went into labor, that you've been dying to go to the bathroom for the past 45 minutes, don't even say hi to me after we've known each other for years on the game but haven't RP'd together in a character or two.

Table&Chair Brick Wall | RedKnight Quartermaster | World's friendliest Tormite | Average Book Enjoyer Luskan | Stutter Elf Archer | Pie Goddess' #1 Fan | Best Slave Luskan | Deadpanned Luskan |

stoneheart-

Post by stoneheart- » Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:25 pm

If you're equivocating saying "BRB" to OOC "check-ins", you're not arguing in good faith. Everyone has an IRL that occasionally interferes with the game, whether it be work calls, family emergencies, kids/pets making a mess, the doorbell, etc. Communicating those is perfectly fine. What I don't need is an explanation of anyone's in-character motivations, or assurances that what is happening in game is fine or not fine.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:38 pm

I get why notells exists but I don't like how some people are really unreasonable when they have it enabled. One time, a guy walked up to me and stopped me from going into the city to log out. I had to afk, the dude was in notells, so I couldn't tell him. So I just went AFK. Dude got salty at me for not replying to him. Whatever dude, you're the one who stopped me from trying to log out so I could afk, and set yourself up so I couldn't tell you I need to AFK.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:24 am

MarkRed wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:58 pm

Several people in this thread have stated that the existence of any green text in their box is a plague that ruins immersion, so I am woefully unaware of any situation that is deemed worthy of breaking their immersion if not for that of a massive choice that heavily affects game play in ways some players may not like, and have no way out of.

can you stop hyperbolically misrepresenting my point and others? thanks.

MarkRed

Post by MarkRed » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:45 am

Ork wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:24 am
MarkRed wrote:

Hey can you stop ruining my immersion of the thread? Regardless of if you like it or not, I'm not talking about you, Ork.

And to clarify, I were never advocating for explaining every possible facet of your character intentions OOC, nor suggesting anyone does 15minute routine check ups of the people they're RPing with, nor that you do it before and after every possible interaction with another player like someone said above. Simply Slavery and Capture RP, keeping to the topic.

And funnily enough -

Ork wrote:

DM Raven

Post by DM Raven » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:08 am

A friendly reminder to keep things civil and keep to the heart of the discussion!

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:14 am

MarkRed wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:45 am

Hey can you stop ruining my immersion of the thread? Regardless of if you like it or not, I'm not talking about you, Ork.

I see. So who are you talking about? It comes across as cowardly to hide behind “several” while you malign the point through a strawman fallacy.

LurkingShadow

Post by LurkingShadow » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:15 am

Ork wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:14 am
MarkRed wrote:

I see. So who are you talking about? It comes across as cowardly to hide behind “several” while you malign the point through a strawman fallacy.

DM Raven wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:08 am

A friendly reminder to keep things civil and keep to the heart of the discussion!

I think you missed this.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:16 am

LurkingShadow wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:15 am

I think you missed this.

I didn’t. I’m being friendly. Explain your strawman is a perfectly valid question in an argument.

MarkRed

Post by MarkRed » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:36 pm

MarkRed wrote:
Ork wrote:
MarkRed wrote:

Edit: I've been told it weren't obvious, but this second portion isn't directed towards Ork as well as the second quoting of his statement, as he never brought up any of these points tmk.

And to clarify, I were never advocating for explaining every possible facet of your character intentions OOC, nor suggesting anyone does 15minute routine check ups of the people they're RPing with, nor that you do it before and after every possible interaction with another player like someone said above. Simply Slavery and Capture RP, keeping to the topic.

And funnily enough -

Ork wrote:

MarkRed

Post by MarkRed » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:37 pm

Apologies, I do not know why it reposted that entire message. Nor can I delete it?