Triday, trine, tricycles.

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Dreams

Re: Triday, trine, tricycles.

Post by Dreams » Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:46 am

Yeah, what a crazy read! It was never my intention to make anyone feel bad. Do whatever you want, no one is upset at you for RPing how you want to. Really the main point was to try and encourage a discussion about IC language vs OOC language when the OOC language use requires previous OOC knowledge of its meaning to be effective, and it seems like the majority of defensive posters are cool with OOC language usage in game.

If you see me using something that isn't setting appropriate, please feel free to call me on it. I'd prefer to improve as I go than come up with reasons to justify continuing whatever is already being done.

RP only starts at 30 if you're a coward.

and break onetwothreefourfive

Post by and break onetwothreefourfive » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:13 am

Dreams wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:46 am

...seems like the majority of defensive posters are cool with OOC language usage in game.

This is bad framing and incredibly passive aggressive. It's been argued in this thread that the players who use trine/bags/whatever see it as IC. And if they're defensive, it's because they're being attacked (directly or indirectly) with things like:

I cringe whenever I see it. My characters tend to consider these characters as silly or illiterate.

but yes I do think less of players that use OOC colloquialisms in game.

I'd prefer to improve as I go than come up with reasons to justify continuing whatever is already being done.

They sum it up best:

Ellisaria wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:18 am

Language evolves and adapts, and cultures develop their own slang. This is no different.

There's a fair bit of elitism in some of these posts, and it's more off-putting than using "trine," I assure.

riffraff wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:21 pm

We don't ICly need to know why any more than most people would know why the modern day IRL week is divided into 7 days. Or why leap years exist.

Especially as Ellisaria pointed out, Arelith doesn't even follow the FR calendar because of the engine limitations! We can accept that 2 days a month don't exist on Arelith, but a localised concept of counting 3 days for convenience is just too wild. :lol:

Personally, I've never used the terms in my RP but I appreciate that there are some IC ways to address OOC concepts - like organizing events on discord, ignoring why the Important PC Not Being Here Because The Player Lives In Australia, and nifty words like trine to explain a real life day and not having to ask in greentext "IC days or OOC days?".

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:20 am

It's ok to have different opinions.

Morgy
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Morgy » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:21 am

It is okay to have different opinions, no one said otherwise.

It is not okay to imply others are lesser because their opinions/styles are different.

That is the point being made above.

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:30 am

Morgy wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:21 am

It is not okay to imply others are lesser because their opinions/styles are different.

I haven't implied this at all.

somecritter

Post by somecritter » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:49 am

Dreams wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:30 am
Morgy wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:21 am

I haven't implied this at all.

You haven't but unfortunately, others have. It is a shame as it makes this thread an embarrassing read. I think break summarized it pretty well. Also, the thread could have been constructive and I know OP did not start it with the intention of it going in the direction that it has.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:09 am

I'm going to lock this because this is, I'm afraid, mountains out of molehills territory.

Yes, very strictly I suppose one can maybe argue it's maybe not great form? Certainly over use of terms could get a bit much. But as is it's not a huge deal and I encourage everyone on this thread to just use whatever makes them comfortable and have at it!

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)