Triday, trine, tricycles.

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Dreams

Triday, trine, tricycles.

Post by Dreams » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:08 am

Am I the only player that sees this as an incredibly strange? These terms being used IC are only there to acknowledge what is an OOC construct of 3 days in game being equal to 1 day IRL.

If you know that 3 days in game = 1 day IRL, then why acknowledge it IC? To use these weird meta-phrases, you need to already be aware of the information that they are conveying.

They're therefore just breaking the setting without adding any additional help or QoL. Isn't that the only reason people use them?

RP only starts at 30 if you're a coward.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Triday, trine, tricycles.

Post by Ork » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:09 am

Arelithisms run rampant. You're not insane, dreams. I wince whenever people use bags as some sort of accepted colloquialism. Triday is just lazy writing in all honesty.

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Eira » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:23 am

I would like to point out that we already have a phrase in english that can represent 3 days, and it's called "in a few days".

"Your sword will be done in a few days." Why would you need to specify further?

I feel the same way; to see everyone use these terms, surface and underdark, across settlements, immediately even as a new person reaches the island, is rather jarring in a subtle way. It feels like it's made to be the easy option because "video game shouldn't be hard", not because it's interesting or cool to have different dialect quirks. If it was the latter, people would have different slang they'd use.

Although, I will say that trine is more aesthetically pleasing to read than bags.

I exist to describe the world around us.

Akorae

Keth'ym Evanara - wandering better paths
Veriel Xyrdan - married and happy
Reena Welkins - Dead

Discord: eighra

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:43 am

Here's a list of Forgotten Realms slang:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki ... dictionary

Wethrinea

Post by Wethrinea » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:45 am

To me, paying five bags of gold for a wand at the market is a lot less immersion-breaking than imagining someone casually counting up 5000 coins from what I can only assume is the bag of holding that everyone use as a purse.

"Bars/Ingots" would perhaps be more elegant and make more sense, but those already exist as an item, so..

Ivar Ferdamann - Mercenary turned Marshall

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:14 am

I cringe whenever I see it. My characters tend to consider these characters as silly or illiterate. There are no such thing as trines, tridays, or TRICYCLES. I've even see Yestertrine, recently. YESTERTRINE. lol.

This is OOC speak leaking into the game because 3 in game days now = 1 RL day.

We never used to say tenday because 1 day = 10 days. We said it because that's what it's called. That's how the calendar is organised in this setting.

Bags is also painful to hear. I will never stop asking "Bags of what?" "How large a bag?" and offering people empty bags I bought from the peddler.

Ellisaria

Post by Ellisaria » Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:18 am

"A few days" is anywhere from three to six, so it isn't really as specific as one might think.

The discussion on this started two and a half years ago when the time structure changed. Here's the relevant post: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=32004

Language evolves and adapts, and cultures develop their own slang. This is no different.

There's a fair bit of elitism in some of these posts, and it's more off-putting than using "trine," I assure.

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:42 am

This isn’t elitism at all. I’m commenting on how a specifically OOC construct is affecting IC dialogue. It doesn’t help anyone, doesn’t have a place in the setting, so why use it?

The time change happened OOC, it should not be reflected IC at all.

Forgot I’d even posted this, but it’s from linked thread above:

Dreams wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:24 am

I think Party had the best idea.

‘In a few days’, ‘a few days’, is the easiest way to refer to this new thing naturally and without coming up with new words that don’t fit.

PowerWord Rage

Post by PowerWord Rage » Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:57 am

Honestly, using the term 'Trine' or 'Tri-days' is an effort to be as ICly as possible to avoid mistakening the time.
Especially during scheduled meeting that would rather not use a.chronus.us

For example, this sword need two RL days to complete. You can surely say in a few days but how long exactly?
You may say two days and the character would thought, of it's just tomorrow because 1 IRL hour = 3 game hours.
All these confusion and misunderstandings breaks the mood more than the immersion.

1 Bag = 1000 Coins
Trine or Tri-days = 1 IRL day

As long as it's a term accepted ICly and makes matter more precise, i don't see why there's a need to discourage or pinpoint such matters out.
Everyone posting here knows the term and what it stands. Isn't that precisely why people still continue to use it as such?

I would rather players use the word 'Tri-days or Trine' than sending me /tell which breaks the immersion more.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:59 am

I will forever stick to my "threeday" slang. Take that establishment!

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:04 am

PowerWord Rage wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:57 am

Honestly, using the term 'Trine' or 'Tri-days' is an effort to be as ICly as possible to avoid mistakening the time.
Especially during scheduled meeting that would rather not use a.chronus.us

For example, this sword need two RL days to complete. You can surely say in a few days but how long exactly?
You may say two days and the character would thought, of it's just tomorrow because 1 IRL hour = 3 game hours.
All these confusion and misunderstandings breaks the mood more than the immersion.

1 Bag = 1000 Coins
Trine or Tri-days = 1 IRL day

As long as it's a term accepted ICly and makes matter more precise, i don't see why there's a need to discourage or pinpoint such matters out.
Everyone posting here knows the term and what it stands. Isn't that precisely why people still continue to use it as such?

I would rather players use the word 'Tri-days or Trine' than sending me /tell which breaks the immersion more.

Wouldn't it be more precise to say "this sword needs 6 days to complete" IC, if everyone knows that means 2 RL days?

Morgy
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Morgy » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:06 am

People cringe over this?

Calm down. It's commonly-used terminology by all kinds of RPers across the server. There's a few comments in this thread which are quite belittling. I use these terms, perhaps I am a 'lazy' writer. Come on guys.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:12 am

Just like slipping in words like "Chillax" or "Dude!" into RP, it isn't elitism to point out that language or terminology being used is incorrect to the setting. There's nothing wrong with those words. I swear a lot and use a lot of slang, OOC, but just like the f-word isn't in use on the Star Trek Enterprise during TNG because it isn't known in that timeperiod/setting, words like trine and counting money in the vague description of 'bags' aren't used in this setting.

Players can adopt whatever cultures they want IC, but there will forever be people arriving from outside of Arelith rp-wise, who will have never have heard of these terms. They have no way of knowing people here speak like that (suddenly) and as long as we're pretending to be a part of the rest of the setting world, there will always be characters who are confused by and have never heard these terms and have to learn them and adjust. That's from an IC perspective, from an OOC perspective there will be new players joining who are familiar with the setting and lore, and have never heard these terms and they'll need to learn them too.

It seems more logical, since we're in an established setting, to just use the terminology already existant in that setting. That would actually be the way to avoid confusion and misunderstanding, and to help educate people on the setting and improve their quality of roleplay and writing within it.

PowerWord Rage

Post by PowerWord Rage » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:17 am

I've to point out that -new- players will be even more confused on how to classify days based on Arelith hours.
We're already used to daily life to refer each day by each day.

If we have to play in Arelith and keep referring to 'each day' as every 'three days', that's really mind blowing and it's going to affect the person IRL over the course of years ( maybe i'm exaggerating but it's redundant to refer each day as three days )

By using the slang that's accepted of ICly to refer of -Each- day will makes the person feel more like they're living in a real world.
I really don't want to keep reminding myself when i play Arelith this everytime i play -

I live each day as a normal person in real world
I live three days as a normal person in Arelith.

Seriously, why is there even a debate here.

Ellisaria

Post by Ellisaria » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:24 am

It’s being said that these words are “incorrect to the setting.”

Incorrect to the setting… according to whom, exactly? Arelith uses Forgotten Realms, yes, but Arelith also uses its own custom lore that diverges from Forgotten Realms in many areas. Has the Arelith administration said anything about terminology? Besides this, of course, from aforementioned linked post:

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:57 pm

Ultimatly if this happens, it'll probably happen organically anyway. Sooner or later someone will use a phrase, and people will either like or won't, pick it up or not. And when people pick it up, it'll be shared around and, before you know it, whatever word it is = it'll find it's way into common usage. But it's often a little hard to predict what it'll be. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Lastly, the time change happened two and a half years ago. As just mentioned, there are people playing here who weren't playing here when it happened, and they've likely adapted to the language used by others. Thinking that these players and their PCs are "lazy writers," "silly," or "illiterate" is doing them a disservice and is, in fact, elitist.

Morgy

Post by Morgy » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:27 am

"Chillax" is not a word remotely like 'trine' or refering to 1000g as a 'bag', which are terms developed by the server, rather than inserted slang. There's lots of things for new people to learn when they are new to the server, I have faith these can pick up these very common and simple phrases.

I think Ellisaria is on the money here.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:31 am

This is silly. Slang literally develops for these reasons that you’re seeing here. In a world where 1000 gold probably = 1 gold in an actual FR setting, people are going to short hand 1000 gold. If you don’t like it, don’t use it or develop your own slang.

New players won’t know the slang of an island they’ve never been to either. That actually helps create the setting more so than hinders it.

Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:39 am

Morgy wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:27 am

How many bags of money?

Morgy

Post by Morgy » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:41 am

Hazard wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:39 am
Morgy wrote:

How many bags of money?

All of the bags :D :lol:

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:43 am

Morgy wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:41 am
Hazard wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:39 am
Morgy wrote:

How many bags of money?

All of the bags :D :lol:

xD

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:54 am

i use my own phrases and slang... like a mish-mosh of random words (makes sense for the current character)

just make it up as you go t b h.

Deep Fried Thinking Emoji

Post by Deep Fried Thinking Emoji » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:14 am

I specifically started using tridays and bags because it bothers weird people on the internet.

Now, jokes aside, people use triday/trine/whatever because it's only natural to try and name standard units of time. Imo, every arrangement ever being done in 3,6,9,12,15, etc days sounds more inmersion breaking that a word that kind of sounds like it belongs in the setting. And it's the same thing with bags. Amn got roldons, Cormyr got tricrowns, Silverymoon got unicorns, and Arelith has bags. Who cares?

I agree with Ellisaria too, this hyperfixation in crusading against terms that are born naturally to make comunication between people easier sounds a bit too much like some weird elitist tantrum.

Royal Blood

Post by Royal Blood » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:17 am

The slang seems self explanatory in my opinion. I avoid referring in game tine in general because the immediate follow up is confusion as to what that is in IRL time. So I'll just jump to either sending a tell with a more easily converted time or something.

Idk, some things are good for the sake of immersion but time is fairly important to get right so people can actually meet up and play the game.

I'm also not sure why Bags referring to 1k gold coins would be an obtuse word. If you liv e in a world where things cost 1k plus coin and it was commonly accepted that 1 bag = 1k coin then stating 5 bags makes sense.

If a character doesn't know that IC chalk it up to weird Arelithian dialect. We're on an island where people come back from the dead on the regular and hop through planar realms for leisure walks. Of course Arelith has its own IG dialect. And the least immersion breaking idea in my opinion is that some alternative form of language has come about to express Arelithian abnormalities and speech.

I am not on a team.
I do not win, I do not lose.
I tell a story, and when I'm lucky,
Play a part in the story you tell too.

Perplexia

Post by Perplexia » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:20 am

so i was looking up historical colloquialisms for money (and wondering why people don't just use "grand" to describe 1000gp) and interestingly enough there IS some justification for using the word "bag"

£1,000 is commonly referred to as a grand, e.g., £4,000 would be called 4 grand, or rarely in certain dialects as a "bag" (from the rhyming slang "Bag of Sand"), e.g., £4,000 would be called 4 bags.

(however, it's worth noting that "grand" only came into use in the early 1900s, and so the term "bag" would have been coined – pun intended – much more recently than that, making it very contemporary)

that said, i will never not find it funny when people say things like "doing a writ" in-character

Last edited by Perplexia on Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atlus wrote: As they say on the internet, this is a very based post.

Old Lies Die Harder

Post by Old Lies Die Harder » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:21 am

"A few days" is anywhere from three to six, so it isn't really as specific as one might think.

You can't really have the idea that "a few days" is somehow less specific than "bags" as a measurement. If 'a few' is unacceptably ambiguous, then so is 'bags'. Is four bags four thousand, four mining bags, four gem bags, four bags of goblin teeth, four old women, or what? This ambiguity is even funnier when people make these statements while standing to three or four grain sacks of a different size.

Language evolves and adapts, and cultures develop their own slang. This is no different.

Language does evolve and adapt. Cultures do develop their own slang. The problem here is that the concept of "1 RL day" does not exist in character. Period. 1 RL day is an ooc reality. 3 ingame days is an In character reality. Our characters are not supposed to be aware of OOC things because they're out of character, and therefore, the in character language should not morph around those factors.

Trine is simply put, a way of acknowledging an OOC conversion factor ingame. It's commonplace because it takes less work than pausing, thinking about what you're saying, and do the math to go, "Well, I'll be on in x hours, divide by eight...oh, that's about three and a half days." It's frustrating to some people because in English it's bizarre to organize days in groups of three with its own special word. The only reason that the number three is used in this case is because of the OOC conversion factor.

Look at it this way. Go to your boss and tell him you'd like to take a trine off. When you're done explaining what a trine is, you'll be asked why you didn't just say "I want to take three days off." There is no reason to organize days in groups of threes like this.

Language does not evolve around factors that don't exist. The factor of 1RL = 3IG does not exist in character.