ChatGPT & Roleplay

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Spriggan Bride

Re: ChatGPT & Roleplay

Post by Spriggan Bride » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:18 pm

Cutting and pasting from GPT into the chat window is the worst use of it and will be very obvious. I think it's a good productivity tool for turning loose notes into formatted paragraphs that can be heavily rewritten, so you're still doing the creative heavy lifting and it's just speeding the process along (a bit like a Photoshop filter or script can save time by doing multiple steps). The best use of it is probably to get past the blank page or first draft stage of writing that can be most difficult but in the end you ought to leave no trace it was used at all.

I think it’s oversold as something that will replace writers altogether. The big problem is that it can generate text that is “good enough” and that is already killing a lot of work because companies can live with “good enough” instead of paying for a human to write something better. But it can be a productivity tool in a lot of different ways and maybe that’s something you can either see applying to your own process or not. Either way, no need to demonize all uses of it, but yeah call people out when it’s used lazily and in place of creativity.

Tashalar

Post by Tashalar » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:30 pm

I can't stand the use of ChatGPT in roleplay personally - it feels cheap. We're here to be creative, and have fun, right?

Pls get AI out of the creative arts thanks

#2: Archmage Swift's Spellduel Rules
#3: "But I'm An Abjurer, I Can't Conjure!"
#4: This Spellbook Is Fire
#5: Think For Once, Archmage Amana
#6: Cor, What A Stunner
#8: Sigermane Special
#9: What Is This, Cordor In The Fifties?

Old Lies Die Harder

Post by Old Lies Die Harder » Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:14 pm

I think it's interesting to watch the fairly extreme reactions to anything AI related. A lot of it feels like a knee jerk that lacks understanding - whether that be in depth technical, or a layman's hands on experience.

If you look at most AI visual art, you're going to notice mutated hands, extra limbs, and all sorts of other bizarre and uncanny artifacts. Text is very much the same, only that the artifacts are unusual repetitions, missed context, strange word choice, or highly formulaic structure.

But what does that mean for rp?

Well, really, for this topic to make much sense, you kind of have to narrow down exactly what 'AI use in RP' means.

Does AI in RP mean:
-Wholecloth copypasta for emotes from an AI prompt?
-Use as a research tool to find and organize information?
-A springboard for inspiration and human adaptation?
-A tool for processing text and converting it to a different style (like a language or dialect)?

There's probably more applications than that, but my point here is that it doesn't make much sense to form an opinion on "AI in RP" as a blanket topic. It's an umbrella, not one specific thing.

For example, as has been pointed in discussion here already (and by ork's wonderful example ofcopypasta), wholecloth copypasta doesn't look very good. It's easily recognizable, and it ends up being goofy. That application of AI probably isn't going to work great, and doesn't contribute much to the RP environment.

Use a research tool, however, is a different story. I've used ChatGPT to run a basic query to summarize on bits of Realms information (Vampire the Masquerade, too), and it largely does a good job of hitting the high points and basics of setting information. Sometimes, you need to summarize information expediently for easy digest. Nothing wrong on "uncreative" about this, provided you check your details.

With just those two examples, I think it's pretty apparent that it's not really helpful to discount the tool's use wholesale. One use is not the same as the other, and there's many more.

Because it's a bit of a fad right now (as many 'new' techs are), there's a lot of hubub and not a lot of understanding. So before forming an opinion, figure out exactly what the uses of AI might be and explore them. Check your understanding of the tool, and engage with a few practical examples. Ask a friend to show you what it can be used for. Learn a little bit about it before drawing a conclusion and making value judgements of other players based on usage of a tech that most people don't fully get.

solar separation
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Location: Space Station 3 (Have you seen Carmen Miranda's ghost?)

Post by solar separation » Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:31 am

using ai for writing is silly lol

AsteraceaeOculus

Post by AsteraceaeOculus » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:19 pm

MOD EDIT: No need to gatekeep who can play here.

If anyone I was roleplaying with was using an AI to roleplay with me, I would never want to speak with them on any character again. Why would I interact with a machine when I'm here to interact with an actual human's artistic process and ideas? I'd rather interact with Grug the Orc Barbarian "who talk lik dis" and has no discernible personality traits and backstory outside of liking fighting and blood then roleplay with a goddamned machine's gross facsimile of a human artistic process, fueled by stolen ideas.

Also, Chat GPT uses up a lot of water that could be used for other things then subpar fantasy roleplay that you could have come up with yourself if you actually cared about roleplaying and other players: https://futurism.com/the-byte/chatgpt-a ... onsumption

Royal Blood

Post by Royal Blood » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:53 pm

How would someone even know a statement or something came from an AI?

I guess my concern is people run around claiming "This person uses AI!!" And what proof would anyone ever have other than an opinion about their writing style?

Messing with it I can kind of see where there are points that the paragraphs seem oddly constructed but I could just as easily believe someone perhaps with less experience in English wrote the lines.

And I think some people think others would use AI to respond to every message in game but I'm not sure how would you even do that? Are they putting in everything said to them then prompting a response? I don't think that even makes sense.

Immmm just a bit skeptical this is as much of an issue as we may think. It's learning from Humans, so inevitably the product it produces will eventually be so human we won't be able to tell. I'm not thrilled about it, something about it feels wrong? But it kinda feels like a societal evolution. In like 20yrs I bet AI assistance is regular to enhance communication etc.

I just want people to keep an open mind. And not like witch hunt people suspected of using AI to write. It's not so different from like idk reading something for inspiration then making your own version of it.

I am not on a team.
I do not win, I do not lose.
I tell a story, and when I'm lucky,
Play a part in the story you tell too.

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:39 am

Royal Blood wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:53 pm

How would someone even know a statement or something came from an AI?

I guess my concern is people run around claiming "This person uses AI!!" And what proof would anyone ever have other than an opinion about their writing style?

Messing with it I can kind of see where there are points that the paragraphs seem oddly constructed but I could just as easily believe someone perhaps with less experience in English wrote the lines.

And I think some people think others would use AI to respond to every message in game but I'm not sure how would you even do that? Are they putting in everything said to them then prompting a response? I don't think that even makes sense.

Immmm just a bit skeptical this is as much of an issue as we may think. It's learning from Humans, so inevitably the product it produces will eventually be so human we won't be able to tell. I'm not thrilled about it, something about it feels wrong? But it kinda feels like a societal evolution. In like 20yrs I bet AI assistance is regular to enhance communication etc.

I just want people to keep an open mind. And not like witch hunt people suspected of using AI to write. It's not so different from like idk reading something for inspiration then making your own version of it.

someone thought I used AI to write something I wrote from scratch. something to do with the flowery prose I used, I guess.

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:16 am

Dr. B wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:50 pm

It's a concern where RPR is involved

I don't get this. Is RPR really judged on how well people write? I admit I don't really pay attention to what gives someone a better rpr, since I am going to level as fast with my 20 as I would with 50, and I have never played nwn to impress anyone else ever. I'm here to kill Ork...s, and work out my admittedly novice acting chops.

But still, if writing skill is a factor, that seems wrong to me. You can totally be a solid wordsmith and still be the type of player that doesn't give anything back to the community, which in my opinion at least is what rpr should be all about.

And yes, I realize give anything back to the community is rather vague, but you guys know the things I am talking about I'm sure without me getting into it.

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Eira » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:29 am

I don't think you're giving much to the community if everything important your character writes or says is AI.

This topic started because of something like that, where a very important scene fell flat because of someone copy-pasting from ChatGPT.

I exist to describe the world around us.

Akorae

Keth'ym Evanara - wandering better paths
Veriel Xyrdan - married and happy
Reena Welkins - Dead

Discord: eighra

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:45 pm

Babylon System is the Vampire wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:16 am
Dr. B wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:50 pm

It's a concern where RPR is involved

I don't get this. Is RPR really judged on how well people write? I admit I don't really pay attention to what gives someone a better rpr, since I am going to level as fast with my 20 as I would with 50, and I have never played nwn to impress anyone else ever. I'm here to kill Ork...s, and work out my admittedly novice acting chops.

But still, if writing skill is a factor, that seems wrong to me.

I'm not really sure what to say in response to that. Roleplaying in a text-based game is largely an exercise in creative improvisational writing. I think most people here agree with that. Even if you're putting very little into your character's dialogue and emotes, you're still making decisions as a writer whenever you type anything and hit enter, and getting an AI to generate even sparse, minimally descriptive text for you means that any judgments about the quality of your character's roleplay are not earned. It also entails that the AI is dictating most of your character's personality, decisions, and story arcs, not you.

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:32 pm

Dr. B wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:45 pm

I'm not really sure what to say in response to that.

Yeah, I was running out the door this morning, maybe I should have taken more time to write my post. I'm by no means advocating using chatgpt for roleplay lol. I was just a little stunned that one of the pitfalls mentioned was rpr, because for me personally basing someone's rpr on how well they write seems silly.

Just my opinion, and perhaps those that make these decisions have a different view of what's good and bad for the server. That certainly would explain why there are people who bend over backwards to involve anyone and everyone with 20-30 rpr, and people who seem very insular and cliquey with a much higher rpr. Admittedly my knowledge of other people's rpr is a VERY small sample size, since it usually takes someone mentioning that they (or another person they are referring too that deserves much higher in my mind) only have a 20, or someone bringing up that their RPR is in the 40 or 50 range. But if it is based on writing skill, that may serve to explain some of the instances that I personally would consider massive discrepancies.

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:34 pm

What should influence RPR then?

Old Lies Die Harder

Post by Old Lies Die Harder » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:56 pm

I don't think there's any value to to rehashing opinions on what should influence RPR.

It's been done a thousand times on these forums over the years, and is the topic of at least a perennial discussion. I don't think there's anything new to be added on that front in general, and certainly not in relation to the supposed ramifications of AI usage in RP.

In addition, there are is posted criteria for what influences RPR on the Wiki. It's too vague, in my opinion, but it's there. Failing that, it's well known that staff are the final arbiters of what influences RPR, so I don't really see a value in theorizing on that question unless staff members want to weigh in.

Which I don't see a value in either, as multiple staff have provided their thoughts on RPR determinations in the decade plus of forum topics I mentioned above.

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Eira » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:13 pm

In any case, as this is a roleplay server intended for players, human people, who want to roleplay to and with other human people, replacing that writer-to-writer interaction with AI out of some desire to get wordcount, is against the very point of it.

If roleplay is not fun for you any longer, then don't do it. If you're not actually roleplaying, then why are you here? Just to read? There are books for that.

"But I have to write a guard report and I don't want to." Then don't play a guard who writes reports. Hire an ingame scribe. Be illiterate. Do what you can, and throw caution to the wind; we are here for the fun of it, not because any of us are Stephen King.

Akorae

Reena Welkins - Dead

Takes

Post by Takes » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:47 pm

Eira wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:13 pm

we are here for the fun of it, not because any of us are Stephen King.

Speak for yourself. I'm Steven King.

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:45 pm

Dr. B wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:34 pm

This is just my opinion, and my opinions are consistently heavily rooted in communal growth and allowing stories to develop over time, but to me the best players are those that involve anyone and everyone interested. They care as much about other's story development as they do their own and are very generous with their time in game. And they are willing to bend their own stories with the flow of the game.

Anyone who had one of these characteristics if I were making the decisions on RPR would have a 40, all three would net you a 50.

Long flowery prose, proper spelling and punctuation, these things wouldn't mean anything to me if again I were making the decisions on rpr. This is a video game, not high school English class. Thats not to say that I don't appreciate these things. I do and am constantly in awe of people that can write better than me. But that alone doesn't really add anything to what I would be looking for when judging who the best players are.

All that being said, it's not my call so...what I wrote above and a quarter would net you 25 cents.

Old Lies Die Harder

Post by Old Lies Die Harder » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:03 pm

Eira wrote:

In any case, as this is a roleplay server intended for players, human people, who want to roleplay to and with other human people, replacing that writer-to-writer interaction with AI out of some desire to get wordcount, is against the very point of it.

If roleplay is not fun for you any longer, then don't do it. If you're not actually roleplaying, then why are you here? Just to read? There are books for that.

"But I have to write a guard report and I don't want to." Then don't play a guard who writes reports. Hire an ingame scribe. Be illiterate. Do what you can, and throw caution to the wind; we are here for the fun of it, not because any of us are Stephen King.

This kind of goes towards my earlier point. It appears here that the assumption that using using AI such as ChatGPT means "automatic RP", or posting emotes and things wholecloth.

I haven't seen anything even remotely reminiscent of this. Ever. And yet, it seems to be the idea that's on the tip of most people's tongues in this discussion, and the main focus.

But like, really, how much is this happening as opposed to other uses? I mentioned a few posts above, so I won't repeat them here.

Why is the focus on this particular case? Why are we looking into other uses that are more akin to listening to Jorphdan's youtube lore summaries, establishing and picking between options via random dice tables (a core part of D&D that often carries over to RP), or self-creating writing prompts for a further creative springboard? I think it's because people are forming opinions without understanding these other uses, and focusing on doom and gloom rather than understanding the tech and its applications.

Finally, the focus on "oh no, people aren't RPing anymore" seems silly to me, and silliness turns immediately concerning when from it spawn statements like "...then why are you here?" and "don't play xyz." There's a lot of dismissive, exclusive sentiments that can be inferred from that kind of verbiage, and I think that's potentially a lot more harmful to the environment than the mediocre RP posts that'd come from posting text wholecloth.

Especially now that we're hearing from people that others are assuming original posts were AI generated, and making accusations and complaints on that basis.

Inordinate
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Inordinate » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:45 am

I think people are being flippant about referring to one or the other and putting them in the same bucket. It's defaulting to the lowest common denominator which is giving chat GPT a simple prompt, copying what it spits out and pasting it in game. I don't think anyone has automated this yet though I'm welcome to be surprised, but I believe anyone would be appalled at someone being ballsy enough to do this.

I have run across two instances of it being blatantly used. The first was the basis of something that was going to be elaborated on later (a rough draft of a document). I wasn't sure about it at first but knew the follow up was going to be respected so I discarded it. The second was someone's written report on another character's IC actions. This instance felt so wildly perverse I was beyond myself. Both instances were blatantly obvious because untrained chatGPTv3 follows a particular format:

Restate the prompt it was given
Give supporting reason. Elaborate on supporting reason. Restate reason
Repeat this 2-3 times depending on the prompt
Summarize prompt again.

It literally follows a US grade school's rubrick of a student's essay trying to pad out a word count. The second carried more weight because it was being used as a weapon and thus was expected to have some semblance of gravity to it. It was difficult to take it seriously at all because the person initiating this RP wasn't taking it seriously, either.

That, I feel, is what people are getting at and why there's such a strong reaction to it. It starts with instances like this, so people's default gut reaction is to be violent towards it because writings can and do impact the game world no matter the form. If, for example, someone in a settlement's government had to address actually credible accusations that were solely delivered through a copy/paste chatGPT job I promise that we'll see this topic come up again.

If need there comes to shelter my ship on the flood;
The wind I calm upon the waves, and the sea I put to sleep

Martella

Post by Martella » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:54 am

I only have a small bit to submit here as I feel it encompasses how I've come to feel about ChatGPT after using it for a number of tasks both related and not to NWN.

ChatGPT is to ideas as Wikipedia is to research.

You would never want to copy/paste a paragraph of Wikipedia into a research paper - however, when you are just getting started on a subject you want a good overview of, ideas on how to break apart, what the major tenets of it are, etc. - Wikipedia is a great start.

You should not take a generation of ChatGPT at face value to copy/paste into completed works. However, when you are forming an idea, or need advice on organization, or want to generate a starting point similar to Wikipedia for ideas, it doesn't hurt. It can bridge the gap to an otherwise unreachable destination from a lack of experience or expertise.

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Eira » Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:53 am

Old Lies Die Harder wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:03 pm
Eira wrote:

This kind of goes towards my earlier point. It appears here that the assumption that using using AI such as ChatGPT means "automatic RP", or posting emotes and things wholecloth.

I will clarify, that for the point of this discussion, I consider written books, reports, essays, research, etc, to also be roleplay. Everything written is shaped by nuance of the character who wrote it, aka the "role you are playing", and thus will reflect personality through it.

AI has no such reflection of personality or meaning to it.

That being said, someone earlier literally admitted to roleplay with ChatGPT as their character. They weren't even the reason this thread was made; it doesn't just come out of nowhere.

If someone uses AI as an editing or polishing tool after producing the actual writing themself, that's fine. The heart is there. If they use it for helping them with ideas, that's fine.

What's not fine is completely replacing their possibilities of input with AI.

Last edited by Eira on Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Akorae

Reena Welkins - Dead

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:07 am

actually hiring a scribe to write my reports for me seems like a great idea... and enabling to my laziness

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:15 am

Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:45 pm
Dr. B wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:34 pm

Long flowery prose, proper spelling and punctuation, these things wouldn't mean anything to me if again I were making the decisions on rpr.

All that being said, it's not my call so...what I wrote above and a quarter would net you 25 cents.

What counts as good writing is genre-dependent. Here the genre is an online RPG. In that genre, long prose that takes several minutes to type is poor writing. Excellent writers can be descriptive and expressive without being lengthy. Constantly writing long paragraphs slows the flow of roleplay and is tedious and annoying for other players. This is but one example that shows how your choices and abilities as a writer can affect the enjoyment of those around you for better or worse.

"Flowery" prose is different from descriptive prose. One is meant to show off whereas the other makes a character lifelike and believable. Players whose goal is to show off their grandiloquence are also not writing well with respect to the goals of the genre. This is usually the case in any kind of writing. If your aim is to show off how good of a writer you are then you're already writing poorly.

Involving other players in your characters' life is necessary but not sufficient for good roleplaying. Generously inviting everyone to go on a mindless circlegrind with me involves other players but there's an absence of roleplay, because roleplay on Arelith is impossible without writing. When you invite other characters to roleplay with you, the thing you're involving them in is essentially a collaborative writing exercise.

Helping other characters' stories involves writing. Those players need to write things to tell their story, and so you're essentially inspiring them. Helping them develop their characters' personalities also involves writing. They need to write to describe their characters' personalities. It's perplexing that you mention "stories" several times in your post but don't think being able to write well is important. Is the whole story being told through the emote and voiceset menus?

Here is another thought about consideration for other players: most writers write for an audience. Here your audience consists of other players. When you think about how to make the game enjoyable for other players, you're considering audience. This is also, largely, a writing skill. As they write, good writers are bouncing their words and ideas off of a hypothetical reader and thinking about how that reader would interpret and respond to what they're writing.

While your decisions as a player are part of the equation as far as roleplay quality is concerned, a great deal of this comes down to using text to create a character that is vivid, expressive, believable, and enjoyable to interact with. By necessity, that's a writing task that can be done well or poorly.

Consider some examples:

1. Okay! [For a split second, a smirk tugs at the paladin's lips, but she quickly replaces it with a pleasant smile]

2. Okay... [The faintest shadow of a smirk comes and goes, leaving only a pleasant smile]

3. Okay [quick smirk then smiles]

In a way, all of these examples describe the same events: the character says "Okay," smirks, then smiles. But the word choices and description clearly showcase different things:

In example 1, we're clued in to the fact that the character feels she is remiss for smirking. We're given this context with the mention that she's a paladin, someone who tries to be polite and virtuous, and that she "replaces" the smirk. "Tugs at her lips" emphasizes that the smirk is involuntary and not something this character is predisposed to do. On the other hand, example 2 shows us that the character might be considering something devious (the word "shadow," which has an ominous feel to it, helps to emphasize this), that the smirk reveals something about her true motives and character, and that the "pleasant smile" that comes afterwards is an act.

Punctuation, which you mention in your post above, can also be important. Here, the punctuation marks affect the way we hear the dialogue. The first might be read as chipper and cooperative due to the exclamation point, the second as devious and malevolent due to the ellipsis. Notice that the emotes don't have punctuation marks because they're unnecessary. This is fine.

This is what I meant by descriptive, expressive dialogue. All of this is done in reasonably short sentences.

Example 3, on the other hand, tells us very little about the personality we are interacting with. We don't gain much sense of who this character is, and the absence of any punctuation makes it hard to interpret the tone of the character's speech. After a while of interacting with the characters in 1 and 2, one would get a sense of what their personalities are like. They would feel lifelike and, ideally, interesting. Not so much, I think, with the character in 3.

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:13 am

Dr. B wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:15 am

Stuff you can read a post above unless this takes to long to whip up, and someone sneaks one in between.

I can't argue against your points because they are all good for the most part, and odds are if you were standing next to me people would get to who your character is based on your emotes a lot faster than they would mine.

The one spot I would disagree with is that taking out people to dungeons is pointless, but you did add the caveat of circle grinding which to me at least implies there is little roleplay involved. To many folks who are new to roleplay, dungeon roleplay is their introduction to it. The average newer player to NWN is not going to immediately sit in an inn, looking for conversation. These are my favorite people to go out with, because I don't mind taking baby steps with the roleplay and watching them grow into it over time makes me feel like I played a small role in their growth.

But as good as your points are about how emote 1 and 2 are better than 3, I still stand by my point that its not what I would be looking for personally if I were in a position that forced me to have to examine this sort of thing. I would be looking for players that opened doors for players outside the bubble, or created situations where roleplay can flourish, or players that spent time on creating fun events even if they don't always work out in practice, rather than self-contained excellent roleplayers.

But again, I come at it from a perspective of game growth and player growth. Every player I see that struggles to stay in character today is a potential roleplay all-star tomorrow. And I firmly believe that its folks having that sort of attitude that has allowed nwn to last more than 20 years.

So, yeah, bearing that perspective in mind it's easy to understand why I would much rather reward players who may be mid-level with emotes (or worse) but involve others as often as possible than I would someone who just has stellar emote skills. Of course, the optimal player would have a combination of the two, but in an either/or situation I think the choice is easy. One person fosters the next crop of superstars even if they are never a roleplaying all-star themselves, while the other just has really nice emotes.

All that being said, I get the sense that the folks that make these decisions fall more in line with your perspective, and that's probably fine for arelith. It's going to be the last man standing when the game finally dies for good long after beemdog cuts off server support, as long as it remains welcoming to all comers for the most part. My way would probably extend that timeline indefinitely, but who wants to live forever anyways?

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:22 pm

Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:13 am
Dr. B wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:15 am

Stuff you can read a post above unless this takes to long to whip up, and someone sneaks one in between.

I can't argue against your points because they are all good for the most part, and odds are if you were standing next to me people would get to who your character is based on your emotes a lot faster than they would mine.

The one spot I would disagree with is that taking out people to dungeons is pointless, but you did add the caveat of circle grinding which to me at least implies there is little roleplay involved. To many folks who are new to roleplay, dungeon roleplay is their introduction to it. The average newer player to NWN is not going to immediately sit in an inn, looking for conversation. These are my favorite people to go out with, because I don't mind taking baby steps with the roleplay and watching them grow into it over time makes me feel like I played a small role in their growth.

I don't think there's anything wrong with going to a dungeon. What I wanted to emphasize here is that no one is talking or emoting in this hypothetical situation. It's meant as a counterexample to show that including players in your play sessions isn't all there is to good roleplay.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:25 pm

I don't feel very confident on giving my thoughts on ChatGPT and roleplay per se - except perhaps to remark that for myself, I think using for ideas/prompts is fine, but copy pasting it as full replies in lue of roleplay occurs as extremely lazy. Still shrug I'll need to think on it some more before I give any real opinion.

I will remark on writing and rpr briefly though, with more authority.

RPB is by no means entirely, or even mostly - defined by writing ability.
That said, writing ability does help.
We don't ask that people need perfect grammer/spelling to reach 50, but those that have a high rpr do tend to be good, if not excellent, writers.
Again this doesn't neccesarly mean that every word that comes out of them is a massive emote. Far from it. But it means they are often (again note often, not always) capable of interesting emotes, subtlties and such when it's needed. And it also means that they are always basically comprehendable.

The way I see it... and please note that this isn't just for 'RPB' but really just general interaction - writing ability is not the be all and end all, but it's like wearing a suit for an interview. Someone who wears a suit, scrubs up, sits properly for a job interview isn't neccesarly any better for a job then the guy who comes in wearing stained tracksuit bottoms, a dirty t-shirt and an unshaven chin. In fact the latter person may be far better, but they're not going to give a good first impression.

Ultimatly a good chunk of roleplay is about communicating the decisions your character makes, as well as those decisions. The better you do that, the better and more compelling you will appear.

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)