Whatever happened to the FL Server?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

nods

Whatever happened to the FL Server?

Post by nods » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:39 pm

I've been spending the past few weeks checking out random modules from nwnvault and I was randomly nostalgic for the FL server. What happened to it? Is there a copy of it anywhere?

I think Mithreas was managing it last I heard but that was a long time ago.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Whatever happened to the FL Server?

Post by MissEvelyn » Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:26 pm

As far as I know, it was never updated to Enhanced Edition. You might still have luck with it in 1.69, but I'm not sure it's still up and running anymore.

Best ask Mithreas, or Symphony might know something about it as well 🙂

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:05 pm

It is gone.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:35 pm

IIRC but someone correct me if I'm wrong the concept was to offer individuals an even playing field by requiring gold to purchase feats rather than the typical ol' level grind. In essence, somehow it would be "horizontal" rather than "vertical" progression. However, what was realized (and kinda quickly) was that that it was the same thing. Due to that it always had to compete with the main server.

I do hope the main server learns from the FL's mistakes, tweaks it, and does pick up more "horizontal progression". A difficult task, though, and I admit I have no suggestions for it.

nods

Post by nods » Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:51 pm

MissEvelyn wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:26 pm

As far as I know, it was never updated to Enhanced Edition. You might still have luck with it in 1.69, but I'm not sure it's still up and running anymore.

Best ask Mithreas, or Symphony might know something about it as well 🙂

I'll see if I can get in touch with one of them. I kind of assumed it would be in the NWN vault with other projects that get scrapped. I really enjoyed that server personally.

AskRyze

Post by AskRyze » Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:55 pm

Mithreas is currently running his own server, which has a similar style to the fixed level progression - Anemoi, City of Winds, last I recall the name. It's pretty dead but had a good 15ish players back when covid hit.

Flower Power wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:53 pm

You say this, but being MILDLY MEAN to people is treated like a war crime on Arelith.

Hoodoo
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Hoodoo » Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:00 pm

It technically still exists, we have it laying dormant on one of our servers. Nobody can be bothered to update nor maintain it though

magistrasa

Post by magistrasa » Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:10 pm

Mithreas released his own FL server called Anemoi, which you can probably find on the public server list. It's not super active, and it's a custom setting with its own lore and systems outside the bounds of the Forgotten Realms, but it's actually pretty cool and I had an enjoyable time with the brief exposure I had to it. Since Mithreas was the one who designed the old FL server, a lot of its mechanics were carried over, and you could probably consider it a spiritual successor.

× Career Sharran × MILF Supreme × Artist (Allegedly) ×
Will Trade Art For Groceries Again Eventually

nods

Post by nods » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:38 am

magistrasa wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:10 pm

Mithreas released his own FL server called Anemoi, which you can probably find on the public server list. It's not super active, and it's a custom setting with its own lore and systems outside the bounds of the Forgotten Realms, but it's actually pretty cool and I had an enjoyable time with the brief exposure I had to it. Since Mithreas was the one who designed the old FL server, a lot of its mechanics were carried over, and you could probably consider it a spiritual successor.

Decided to check it out. It is interesting enough but I will always miss the FL due to pure nostalgia value. Thanks for the heads up.