OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Emotionaloverload
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Computer Help

Post by Emotionaloverload » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:01 pm

Hello,

I have been trying to play again but it turns out that my computer is old and keeps going into a crash loop anytime I try to open a menu while it is raining IG. So! I need a new one.

I don't know what would be good to get. I love to play games but would love, at the very least, for it be able to run Arelith. I am looking in the range of $1500. Please send me your suggestions if you have high computer lore.

Thank you!

Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

Bazelgeuse

Re: Computer Help

Post by Bazelgeuse » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:24 pm

You can probably get a computer that can run Arelith for well below $1500! Usually, when it comes to gaming, the important bits are the CPU, the graphics card (GPU), and the RAM.

There's a couple of sites that let you configure the setup you want, but they require a bit of technical know-how. I have not done computer/computer parts shopping for a long while, so I'm kind of out of date on what's good these days. This one seems like it woudl fit the bill.

https://www.ibuypower.com/store/rdy-trace-7mp-003

This one caught my eye as it has a pretty good special going on right now. The GPU is solid, there's a good amount of RAM (I wouldn't do anything below 16 GB if you're going to be gaming), and the CPU seems to have decent reviews.

(I might be talking nonsense as the last time I did any computer upgrades was before COVID, if this is the case, someone please correct me xD)

Tabby
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Tabby » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:43 am

I had an issue with my computer hard crashed when i played neverwinter, it turns out that my graphics card did endless fps, and caused my cpu to overtune, i had too limit the fps via options within the game, perhaps that is the issue?

Dormant Character: Tabitha Fuzzypaw - Shelved, searching all corners for treasures and secrets.
Misty Scrollsinger - Still searching answers, but is now elsewhere

Rolled Character: Björn Njald - sailed on new adventures

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:30 pm

Tabby wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:43 am

I had an issue with my computer hard crashed when i played neverwinter, it turns out that my graphics card did endless fps, and caused my cpu to overtune, i had too limit the fps via options within the game, perhaps that is the issue?

I can try that but last night it crashed with on desktop so I had to get it running again today so I think it may have moved on from just being the game.

Thank you,

Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:06 pm

Turn off shiny water
LOLz

But for real, how is it crashing? Is it blue-screening, or freezing up, or restarting, or powering off completely? Or is the game itself just crashing to desktop?

Depending on the type of crash, the issue could be software related instead of hardware.

• If you are going to a blue screen, the issue is most likely drivers that need to be updated. You should be on Windows 10 or higher no matter what, and make sure that you have installed all windows updates.

• I would then check to make sure your graphics drivers are up to date. Visit the website of the manufacturer of your GPU and get the latest update for your graphics card.

• Next most common out-of-date driver that causes crashes is your network drivers. Visit your computer's manufacturer site and make sure you have the latest drivers for your network device.

• If the computer is just shutting off, and not coming back on till you hit the button, it is probably overheating. Make sure your computer interior is not too dusty. Make sure fans are running. If you're using a laptop, make sure you aren't setting it on a soft cushiony surface when you play that might block the air vents.

• If the computer freezes up, I'm not as experienced with that issue as much, but I believe that would most likely be an OS issue. Make sure Windows is up to date and you are not using something earlier than Windows 10.

• If it is just the NWN program crashing to desktop, there may be an issue with the game. Verify game files, uninstall workshop mods, backup your overrides folder and clear out the contents, then see if it still crashes. Could be conflicting mods/haks/etc

If you are intent on getting a new computer, I would suggest the following for NWN gaming:

• Windows 10 or 11

• SSD storage drive (at least 500GB but larger if you plan on playing other games)

• 16GB RAM (if you achieve this through more than one stick, make sure both sticks are the same speed and same size) (make sure the version of ram you use matches what your motherboard supports, EX: DDR4, etc)

• 1080 RTS graphics card if just for NWN. If you want something for more recent games, you'll probably want something more like at least 3070. I use a 3050 RTS and it does fine for most things. (thats NVIDIA, I dunno Radeon models or other brands)

• For CPU, you want something with more cores. Something with 6 cores would be plenty for NWN. Do more if you want higher end games. If going Intel, you're probably fine with a Core-i5. i7 is better, and i9 is super duper good. Dunno AMD models anymore, sorry.

• Motherboard: get something comapatible with whatever CPU you get, and that has multiple PCI-e x16 slots. Most video cards these days take up two PCI-e x16 slots. Your CPU will have a certain "socket" type, make sure your mobo uses that same socket.

EDIT: I forgot power supply. Make sure you get a power supply that has a gold stamp on it. Don't bother with silver or bronze unless you're fine with it possibly dying on you. 500w is usually OKAY for a low end computer, but for gaming, you probably want something a little higher. It has to supply enough power for all the components you add. I use a 750w.

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire