Discussing Recreational Sports in Arelith?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Manabi

Discussing Recreational Sports in Arelith?

Post by Manabi » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:31 am

Well, I have been walking around Arelith bored out of my skull for the past two hours, and I came up with an idea that I want some opinions on.

Would you all be up for a type of recreational sport in Arelith? When we're not being pummeled by evil-doers, dracoliches, armies of light, etc, I was thinking of giving our characters something fun to do in times of peace. (Also, something fun for us to do as players) Take capture the flag!

Example! Six members of each team - set up on opposing sides of an area, or spanning through multiple areas. Team members attempt to go to the other teams flag and capture it from. . . maybe a box or something? I'm not sure how that would work. Anyway! That player can then be killed/knockeddown/badlyinjured by the opposing team, if the player dies, the player can be resurrected and forced to give the flag back (or be forced to give it back before then but some characters are more stubborn than others), and be out for that round. A point is scored when there are no players left on one side of the team, or both flags are in possession of one team. Uhh. . . Maybe we can use another item instead of a flag. Maybe one of the things sold at that strange shop in Cordor.

Just one example, what do you all think about trying something like this? I'm open to any ideas, general criticism about how stupid this sounds, or anything really. I thought it would be a neat thing to discuss and possibly try out IG!
Owlbears are the only thing keeping Arelith from the D&D experience.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Discussing Recreational Sports in Arelith?

Post by The Man of the Moon » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:38 am

That sounds fun bro, not stupid at all.
But don't make any competition concerning to be killed, because that would be something so drowish stuff (and imagine if you made that on real life)... Also... consider that a MoD character could want to participate, if you make a chance so the characters died in the Sports... well...

Think in Arelith in a realistic way...as if were our real world... Didn't we had the Olimpic Games that started in the ancient age?

I sugest you to sponsor that with your character IG and don't care about the forum. Just do it!

In the past, it seems like other events were made... The Rosewind Troupe sponsored some Faery with sport games among more things...

Also your Arcane Tower sponsored some arcanist games (not just sportif, but you can always become)

Give tasty rewards as... medaills made with Gold, silver and coper ingots (editing them to rename and give new description, perhaps) and a diploma to keep memmo of the awards. Give aswell some gold reward to each winner... (to get gold enough, you can ask a tax to incribe in the Games)

Cheers!
Last edited by The Man of the Moon on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Manabi

Post by Manabi » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:42 am

I was thinking that death may be a little harsh! I'm not sure how we could force an item being given to someone. Perhaps leaving it up to the character? "I will fight to the death" is the view of some. While others would throw the item into the hands of the other after a simple knockdown.

Thanks for the feedback! Have missed you IG for quite some time!

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:09 am

I always found funny the Running competitions on NWN... You only need to make sure what the rules are about and place someone checking nobody break them (being among the winners)...

Also, bow, crossbow, darts etc competition? (You could use a heavy character disguised as golem to simulate a dommie-target... those dealing the highest dmg or getting the perfect 20 win..etc)

Unarmed fights (with grass nude women? ermm...)

Strengh tests? Like carrying a heavy forge from point X to point Y, the one doing it faster wins

Rythmyn Dance? (let the players develop an imaginative dance)

I would also allow duels (several rules can be applied there)
Manabi wrote:...
Thanks for the feedback! Have missed you IG for quite some time!
I am active now on Aeon (playing at moment on Cordor area, but soon moving into the surface server), while Morkhav is bussy exploring the island and drawing the map... :lol:
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

RED GANOT
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by RED GANOT » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:30 pm

When my brood and I soar on wings of fire, and wreak our scourge over Caer Callidyrr; your kith will fall and your kin will too- then what will all of Moonshae do?

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:48 pm

The idea of "sport" is really interesting, I just have absolutely no idea how you could actually implement it smoothly and make it fun.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:15 pm

Fisticuffs.

Just don't challenge a Monk.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:22 pm

I find it difficult to do anything fast paced without the aid of mechanics.

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Artos13 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:31 am

I'm all for the idea of a sport being created, in fact its one thing I've never heard discussed in all the years. Just make sure, as already suggested, that people arent killing each other over it, and that you aren't just creating capture the flag mini events within Arelith. There are specific arena servers for that. Arena type games tend to erode RP.

BUT, I'm all for some kind of IC sport. Just...might be hard to do. Most sports have some kind of ball. Start there :)

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:33 am

HIN BALL!

Tie up a halfling and kick it around!
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:17 am

When I played in Homelands (an old NWN server with the background of one of the Magic the gathering Game cards expansions) someone organized sport games...

They did competitions of shot with bow/crossbow, running competitions and dueling (among other competitions)

For the bow and crossbow competition, they used doomies so they could just note the combat log to account the hits, that scored sometyhing like this:

1: -5 score
2-3: -2 score
4 to 9: -1 score
10 to 11: 0
12 to 13: +1 score
14 to 15: +2 score
16-17: +3 score
18-19: +5 score
20: +10 score

The score was bassed on the hitting roll dice, rather than the AB.

About the running competition, they placed hiden watchers to check all was smoothy and none rule broken.
The run-route was marked by objects left in the soil (here is very easily done with the fixture items). The rules were simple: it was not possible to use any spell of speed, neither concealment, in order that the observers could monitor to the runners.

Don't remember if barbarians and monks were not allowed to participate in the running competition.

The path was long enough and had some traps (grease, vines...) so the runners had to test aswell their reflexes and had some fun.

I remember there were more sports (like duels of fencing) but can't recall more details.
Just that the organization gave the outfits and swords for the fencers. (other gear was available because they had no way to control if they were using or not magical enhancing gear)

Thank you

Putrid Kitten

Post by Putrid Kitten » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:16 am

"Bloodbowl" was a thing for a period of time on Arelith.
Hated it for the fact that it was effectively ripped from another setting.
I could see medieval tournament games being quite popular, if held bi-yearly or so,
with gold-rewards for the winners in bare-handed fighting, archery and sword-fighting (for instance).

I know what you are after is this sort of mini-game-esque feel, but it would be difficult to do
"right" without feeling as if it were a cheesy tag-on that doesn't quite fit the setting.
I'm all for the idea of trying, though!
Meow meow meow - Reconfigure F1-F12 easily

DirtyDeity

Post by DirtyDeity » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:17 am

Full mage? Still beat the epic Weapon Master. Shame on Wesley forever.

IMO, the only way to say if an IC game is 'fun' is to grab a few people and try it out. If it works out well, and is amusing, spread it out! Give it a try, anyway. :)

Winter83

Post by Winter83 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:23 am

I was having fun in the following.

Each parties summon a dire boar from a scroll. Then they hostile each other, and the boars start to fight. You can bet on the pigs. :)

Not a sport per-se, but recreational activity.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:25 am

More arenas!
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:28 am

Dr_Hazard89 wrote:More arenas!
Good idea, Dr Hazard! Also.. Why won't anyone play hide and seek with us? Every town should have games of hide and seek, yearly! (In game time!)
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Putrid Kitten

Post by Putrid Kitten » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:33 am

Winter83 wrote:I was having fun in the following.

Each parties summon a dire boar from a scroll. Then they hostile each other, and the boars start to fight. You can bet on the pigs. :)

Love it!
Prepare to get man-hunted as soon as the druids and rangers catch word of this, though.
No amount of "they're magical summons, not real animals!" pleas are going to save you.
Meow meow meow - Reconfigure F1-F12 easily

DaTexican

Post by DaTexican » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:43 am

Winter83 wrote:I was having fun in the following.

Every druid in the heartwood perks up their ears at the mention of this. I hear a thunderstorm rumbling in the distance.
Be Prepared

Winter83

Post by Winter83 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:45 pm

Where'd be the fun in that if it was perfectly OK with everyone?

Gonna make an underground summoned-animal fighting and betting ring.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:52 pm

Winter83 wrote:Where'd be the fun in that if it was perfectly OK with everyone?

Gonna make an underground summoned-animal fighting and betting ring.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do it, by all means!

Tibbs, there is your master hit to make yourself rich! And you will become legendary in Arelith!

Thank you

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Artos13 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:05 pm

We used to do the same with badgers back in the day. Grease 'em up first though!

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:39 pm

Boxing on a field of Grease, surrounded by Walls of Fire, with Creeping Doom hazards at two of the corners.

Manabi

Post by Manabi » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:08 am

I like a lot of the ideas here! No worries Artos - not going to make a minigame here. I was (sort of) using that as an example

I remember Jousting in the Wyvern Crown Premium Module, but I personally didn't find that enjoyable. Then again, I didn't quite get it. (wow, I could not find a youtube video of that)

There are some VERY good ideas here though. Cross bow games, animal fighting games, running games, boxing games. I'm going to toy around IG with it sometime over the next month and see what happens.

I wish we could get that ball to mechanically do something!