Knights of the Mystic Flame Kudos II

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Manabi

Knights of the Mystic Flame Kudos II

Post by Manabi » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:38 am

So, I just thought I would shoot these players another Kudos - because through even more interactions - I see that they deserve infinite Kudos.

Well, I'm just going to mention the three that I've seen in action over the past several months - apologies to the rest of you. I'm sure you're great as well :D

Oliver - Oliver spends a terrific amount of time preparing sermons for this incredibly over-the-top lawful good character who is a priest. The sermons? Absolutely brilliant, and exactly the type of thing you expect from any prestigious and zealous fanatic. In my opinion? This character is more devout than our friendly Cordor priest in the Triad temple that sells us kits and whatnot.

Junior - Junior is a knight - and I can't see him in any other way. He acts "Exactly" how you would expect a knight to act who would stick by, sword-in-arm, behind those he has pledged his loyalty to. At the same time, he doesn't have the blind-loyalty that some may have. Overall? One of my favorite characters to speak to IC. The character has a sort of complexity about him that I can't explain, but more on that later. He would rather "run then walk" when he is summoned.

Kristofer - Kristofer is someone that I've seen less of than the previous to, but one only needs to hit, "Examine" on every other object in the Mystran Temple and around the Arcane Tower to see what this character is about. An artist, for sure. Someone who has pledged their art to their cause, through altars, statues, paintings, etc. etc. etc. The amount of time the player has put into the fixtures must be astounding - and that's not including gathering the materials. The player has added a certain realism in the environment that is true to his character and very respectable.

But, I've said all of this already, I wanted to mention the REAL reason I'm giving this Kudos. When you're playing Arelith, there are going to be times where you are going to meet inconveniences. This may be a time where you witness an OoC friend who you would normally kill, or having to fight 30+ players because you are doing exactly what your character should do (That was quite a show by the way). These characters get it right. Every. Single. Time.

There have been times that their characters actions have gotten them exiled. Rather than "You know, I don't want to get banished from place X because my character is insanely devout. I'm going to let this slide because it is horrible not being about to go to place X and it's overall a huge inconvenience that I don't want to deal with."

You know what they do?

They say, "I signed up for this, so I'm doing it right." and take the fall for their actions.

I think they have dealt with more conflict and annoying issues because of their characters than any other player I've seen. Most recently, I heard that they left an incredibly fun event because their characters would have done the same thing. They missed out on FUN because of what their characters would ACTUALLY do. Who does that?!

They wouldn't hang out with warlocks no matter how great of OoC friends they were. They would lose IG friends because of something THEIR characters saw as, "Unholy" they would rather be hated by the entire Island of Arelith then disobey their character's true character traits. The players have a mind of saying "This is what I signed up for" when they hit the "log in" button, and the devotion blows me away.

This doesn't even mention what they've done with the sermons, the gatherings, and help that their priestly characters have offered others. I'm sure most of us have some idea of how insanely accurate that is for a temple.

Lastly? The level of complexity. For characters that are hard core, "Black and White - Good and Bad" there is a great level of complexity. Really? I can't quite explain it. You would think that a "black and white" character would be easily predictable, but you would be surprised! Just like any real person, they have flaws, and there is an unreal amount of depth there.

If you haven't done so, spend some time with them. They may annoy you at times, they may kill your friends, but overall, you will get the same experience as you would get from pious knights in a novel about the renaissance. The realism, devotion to a character's concept, and IG dedication is probably the best I've seen so far.

Kudos all around!
Owlbears are the only thing keeping Arelith from the D&D experience.

HinAttack
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Knights of the Mystic Flame Kudos II

Post by HinAttack » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:26 pm

Well thanks Manobi!

Knowing what you know now, would you have really sold that temple in Cordor to the Cra Cra fanatics of Mystra so many months ago? :)

Seriously, we can't do what we do without the mages of the tower and we appreciate all the role play you, Anshar, Angela, Narius, Zen, Galendur and a whole host of other Tower members throw at us. The interactions of different mages in the tower keep us on our toes.

And of course, Layla's minions also help us out by being the joker to our batman. Big kudos to all of you as well. (I don't want to mention who you all are since I don't want to give away too much IC information here, but you know who you are - mucho thanks for the rp you throw at us)

I did not think that this PC would be difficult to play. It is my first 'good' PC after a long line of 'evil' PC's but I can tell you it is by far the most difficult PC I have played.

You are right about the 'giving up the fun' part. There are times where I can just kick myself for following the vows we developed during character creation. Staying true to one's ideals is a constant battle for me. It has made me a better role player which I couldn't do without you and the rest of the group.

This PC's concept, and the interactions we are having with the rest of Cordor and Arelith make me want to jump on the minute I get home from work. I think that is the best kudos I can give you all - the desire to jump on the game just to see what you all are doing.

Mystra Wills it.

Ollie.

Oh, and I can't wait to see how the 'inquisitor' will develop. I am looking forward to that.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:23 pm

Layla has minions? That can't be right. I'm pretty sure she's the only Sharran on the island. Actually, there are no Sharrans. Layla's Ilmateri. Ask Kouto.

Seriously, though, sometimes you guys are frustrating, but mostly it's been a blast. Part of me keep trying to think up cool plots to feed you guys to drive the conflict, but then another part keeps shouting "Just go where they are and smile!"

Huge, huge kudos for keeping it cool OOC, too. Literally 100% of the conflicts I've had with these guys, I've been in tells with at least one of them, and it's always been friendly. Great example of how to do the "IC enemies, OOC pals" thing. There isn't a single member of this group I wouldn't be happy to sit down and have a drink with.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

RootBeerFloat

Post by RootBeerFloat » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:54 pm

Thank you Manobi for the kudos! I've had one of the best times in NWN playing this PC and in this faction. There's never a lack of excitement, inspiration, and conflict both personally and as a group.

When we decided to make devout knights of Mystra and bring the Order of the Mystic Fire to the Isle we wanted to hold true to the FR lore of the Order and the Mystra's church and dogma. Mixed with a Templar like devotion and fanaticism for the church we knew it would bring hard choices and conflict but that is what has made so much fun.

We wanted to have the church live and breath life not just a building with an altar no one used. The religious RP of the FR and the actual lore is so much fun but not seen often enough and when you gave us the church to run with you gave us the opportunity for that RP. Thank you Manobi for giving it up to us, that selflessness is seldom seen in game and you created so much fun for us and hopefully others as well.

Oliver- Your sermons are one of my favorite times of the week IG. They are written so well and apply to current game stuff and hold true to the church and her dogma. He truly is the spiritual leader for us. His depth and understanding in the religion adds so much realism it makes the church breath. When we started the weekly sermons it was done to make the church active and involve not just mystrans but all pcs of good faiths and it has turned out better than we would have thought. To draw in 15-20 something players weekly is hard to do and that says a lot about you as a PC and player.

A kudos to all the players who join us every week and add their own RP and pc's thoughts and ideals to the sermons. We always welcome that and it adds so much.

A kudos to Junior for being the Orders pseudo ambassador to the Tower. Always fun to be with and such huge part of the faction and church. One of the originators of it.

Manobi- one of my favorite pcs in game. His depth, knowledge, and growth is so much fun to be around. You do so well with the Tower and Church interactions. Such a devout mystran who holds true to her faith and at the same time keeps a neutrality to a point at the tower. Taking a stance against warlocks and sharrans at the tower was very commendable. Most wouldn't. Your understanding of magic is amazing to listen too. I'm looking forward to your lecture about the Weave at the church this week! Again without you giving up the church to us a lot of this wouldn't be possible, thank you.

Galendur- You have done so much for the faction, thank you. I always enjoy playing with you, your PC adds so much, and you as a player do all the little things that don't get alot of credit at times but are so needed to be successful as a faction. Kudos to you.

Zen- My squire. Unfortunately our times don't line up well but every time we get to play together it's such a blast. I enjoy watching your PC grow and change. I look forward to seeing you eventually knighted into the Order. Thank you for always making the Mystran meetings and sermons, I always know the pillar you will be next to at each one!

Fornius- another fun and interesting Mystran. You do a Dwarf so well and I mean really well. When I watch and listen to your PC I see a real dwarf. The interactions between Kristofer and her are hilarious, I'm always laughing. She lightens up the so serious mood at times but still holds true to her ideals and total devotion to mystra. Kudos to you!

Felix- our Orders scout! Your French accent and words add so much to the conversation and your PC. Sometimes I'm so confused on what he's saying but now I'm learning French. He's fun, hilarious, and easy going. He slices down the serious time for Ollie adding humor but can be so deadly when needed. Your PC was exactly what we needed for the church for a different RP aspect from the knightly stuff. Well done!

Layla our Sharran advesary- I've always enjoyed our interaction, our fight in the church was fun and added to the fuel. Lots of conflict with her without actually interacting face to face which I have enjoyed. Very nice player OOC and keeps it fun when we can be so difficult IG. Thank you!

Lyssa- a great PC and fun to interact with. Always throwing Kris for a loop in the conversations. Definitely lightens up the mood and adds so much. Thank you.

Narius- well done with the RP of your Mage. A good mystran but better peace keeper. Your activity at the tower has really helped it come alive. With you working with Manobi, Anshar, Galendur, and all the other mages the tower will continue to really grow again. Great depth and character development. Even better blue hat!

Being such an old PnP DnD geek I've had such a fun time sticking to the FR lore and ideals of the PC. It can be difficult at times not bending to make it easy, definitely miss out on stuff, but that has been what has made it the most fun. I'm such a lore freak that anything else would lessen the PC for me. Besides it gives me time to enjoy the church and the RP with everyone who visits. This is my first LG pally and it is an eye opener to truly stick with it RP wise and his vows since I usually play the opposite but it's been the most fun PC and all worth it.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:05 pm

Oh, yeah. The fight in the temple was literally the most fun I've ever had in PvP in this game. Thanks for making me never regret not just going for the Harm/slap
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by P Three » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:56 pm

Lyssa loves you guys (even if Oliver makes her desperately want to drag him off for a makeover)
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday

lordsterling

Post by lordsterling » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:20 am

To the knights, the mages, those who show up for sermons, and to all those Sharrans and/or Warlocks.. things keep getting more and more in depth. Some nights I can't even type/read fast enough to keep up with all the intrigue.

As for all the positive feedback above, I agree 100% with how excellent the players and their characters are being played out. I love how everyone is catching onto the focus on the lore of the Order as well as the strict adherence to the black and white devotion to dogma. It certainly generates PLENTY of role play opportunity, and that is a good thing. Sticking to the lore of ones deity and actually accepting the IC consequences of being true to ones actions is fantastic. I hope that rubs off elsewhere...

You guys are doing a phenomenal job. Keep it up.

RootBeerFloat

Post by RootBeerFloat » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:14 am

P Three wrote:Lyssa loves you guys (even if Oliver makes her desperately want to drag him off for a makeover)
I would agree he needs one but Ollie by far has the best smile of the church. Not many can hold such a large smile for so long!

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by P Three » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:51 am

RootBeerFloat wrote:
P Three wrote:Lyssa loves you guys (even if Oliver makes her desperately want to drag him off for a makeover)
I would agree he needs one but Ollie by far has the best smile of the church. Not many can hold such a large smile for so long!
+10000000000!
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday

TDWojo

Post by TDWojo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:40 pm

In the words of Felix ~

Merci pour les paroles aimables. Je vais avoir un grand moment avec les chevaliers!
Et je l'aime la compagnie et Roleplay avec vous et d'autres comme la belle dame Lyssa.

Dans l'attente de beaucoup plus.

Merci, Adeiu

Or something like that.

Vive Le Cormyr!
"I'm just Roleplaying my character."
"No Steve, your Role-Killing him..."

Back stories are for Larpers and Losers.

lordsterling

Post by lordsterling » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:06 pm

TDWojo wrote:In the words of Felix ~

Merci pour les paroles aimables. Je vais avoir un grand moment avec les chevaliers!
Et je l'aime la compagnie et Roleplay avec vous et d'autres comme la belle dame Lyssa.

Dans l'attente de beaucoup plus.

Merci, Adeiu

Or something like that.

Vive Le Cormyr!
This wins.

RootBeerFloat

Post by RootBeerFloat » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:10 pm

Excellent Felix even on the forums I have no idea what you are saying!